StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Health Question re pole and ingrown hairs

• Health Question re pole and ingrown hairs

Posted by Charley on December 11, 2013 at 9:40 am

Does anyone else suffer from ingrown hairs? I don’t get them frequently but when I do, they become a drama. I have fairly sensitive skin, I’ve always had to be pretty careful with products, etc. In July, I got an ingrown hair in my hip socket, you know the special place we hold supeman , hip hold, inside leg hang, etc. I dug at it, drained, like anyone would do, thought I grabbed the disobedient hair – I didn’t. Over the last few months I’ve kept lancing it, watching it grow smaller then bam pole and its irritated and blowing up again,

I finally went to the dr to get it taken care of only to find it’s developed into a cyst and they will need to surgically remove it. Anyone have any experience with this? Any chance that antibiotics will shrink it down and make it go away? I can’t pole using that leg right now, I’m fairly limited in what I can do, it sucks.

TLizzard replied 10 years, 5 months ago 14 Members · 24 Replies
  • 24 Replies
  • PoleFitMom

December 11, 2013 at 10:14 am

I get ingrown hairs like crazy – no matter how often I change the blade on my razor or exfoliate. I have had good luck with Tend Skin, but no experience with surgery. I got samples of the Tend skin and liked it so much I bought it. Sorry you are going through this, ingrown hairs are a pain in the ass :o( http://www.tendskin.com/

• Dancing Paws

December 11, 2013 at 10:55 am

charley – that happened to me. It started as a pimple, would drain for a bit, but it eventually walled itself off. Antibiotics killed the infection in it, but the cyst stayed. I ended up having to have it laced, drained and packed. I had to change the packing for a week, so it could heal from the inside out. I had that cyst for MONTHS before I went in to get it dealt with. The skin started thinning and it hurt a lot. It was right on my bikini line, in between my thighs.

Rule of thumb, use a razor ONCE and throw it away. reusing them can introduce bacteria. Me, I am still getting pimples using razors once, so I am contemplating going the electric razor route.

• Charley

December 11, 2013 at 11:17 am

I just ordered the Tendskin sample to see how I do with it.

AerialGypsy – THANK YOU so much for sharing that with me. I am at the part where it’s thinning now and getting burned from the pole, so I am taking time off of hip held moves (on that side.) I assume this isn’t the kind of procedure where I need to be knocked out, right? I’ll be sure to never reuse an razor, I generally don’t for my bikini line but I will for legs and I do get them on my legs – they just go away. My Dr. told me not to shave before class or pole but after as my skin can rest for about a day , she said the friction of the pole against freshly shaved skin can cause these, as can improper shaving, etc, etc, but I find no matter how I shave I will still get ingrown hairs. Just nothing like this. Thank you again for sharing – I am a little freaked out – I’ve never had a medical procedure donw so I’m a little scared.

• Dancing Paws

December 11, 2013 at 11:46 am

no you wont be knocked out. lol. They will give it a shot with lidocain to numb it, then they will lance it will a knife, squeeze all the ickies out, pack it with gauze strips, then cover it with some gauze and tape. They sent me home with gauze strips, gauze squares and tape. They had me pull it out before I showered, rinse it with warm water, then repack it after the shower and cover it with gauze. It will drain while it’s healing. The nurse told me to wear yoga pants to help hold the bandage in place, since it was such an awkward position. To pack it, I took a Q tip to shove the gauze strips in the hole. Not gonna lie, that part sucked. I can handle gross things on other people, so I would have been fine packing it on a friend, but OMG I almost fainted several times doing it on myself. My partner was, of course, out of state. I ended up with a terrible rash from the tape. Since it was in an awkward spot, the tape could really only be placed on one spot to secure the gauze, so after 5 days of that I ended up with mega rash.

Don’t be scared. It’s not too bad. If you have a partner to help you pack it, do it.

• chemgoddess1

December 11, 2013 at 12:16 pm

Two things….Sally Beauty has a version of tend skin that is under $10. Also if you buy the clear gel salicylic acid simple stuff it is the same active ingredient as both of them and you can find that for about $3-4 at any drug store.

• Charley

December 11, 2013 at 12:18 pm

Thank you so much, Aerial Gypsy. Sounds like a drama, not looking forward to this. I’m just going to try to get it done asap so I can go back my regularly scheduled hip holds.

Thanks Chemmie! I’ll grab the Sally version too!

• Dancing Paws

December 11, 2013 at 12:21 pm

yeah just get it over with. It’s not fun but it could be way worse too.

• Saphyre

December 11, 2013 at 12:32 pm

There’s always Brazilian waxing! I remember visiting a totally nude strip club about 10 years ago and I asked the dancer how she got her muff so perfectly clean, without any razor bumps. She told me she shaves using baby oil, washed thoroughly with soap and water and then dried. She then applied deodorant! I do this every so often and it works pretty well. I do use my Salicylic Acid cleanser there, nowadays. It really does work. If you’ve never used it in that area before, use it sparingly at first. It can cause irritation until you get used to it. Use a nice, gentle moisturizer or Arnica Gel after.

• Dancing Paws

December 11, 2013 at 12:51 pm

lol! you said muff…

• Saphyre

December 11, 2013 at 1:02 pm

…and I knew you would respond to it!!! xoxo

• Dancing Paws

December 11, 2013 at 1:03 pm

OH NO! She’s onto me…

• Phoenix Hunter

December 11, 2013 at 8:49 pm

Get the surgery and get it over with. And you might not have to go through the packing . This is not always necessary. Sometimes they can remove the cyst and stitch it closed. Then u get the stitches removed a few days later. Antibiotics will not remove the cyst sack that had formed. Hope you feel better soon! You already know about the razor precautions too. Waxing can also cause ingrown hairs though…

• chemgoddess1

December 11, 2013 at 9:30 pm

I had more ingrowns when I got a Brazilian than I ever did shaving.

And Charley…..ow ow ow ow ow.

• AriFerrari

December 11, 2013 at 9:35 pm

Okay, so this is slightly off the topic here but Aerial Gypsy, that rash you got from the medical tape might have been an allergy not just sensitivity! I got AWFUL silk burns in my armpits a few months back and had to tape on nonstick gauze and neosporin. I instantly got these little irritated bumps in the exact line of the tape, I talked to my nurse friend and it turns out quite a few people can have allergies to the adhesive in some medical tapes. I switched brands and no more rash! Just wanted to share in case anyone else has the same problem! LOL

PS Charley, good luck. I have major anxiety about doctors and medical procedures, so I understand your fears. I wish I could help, but haven’t experienced this myself. Just want to say good luck and hope you feel better soon!

• betsyevil

December 11, 2013 at 11:12 pm

Some people are more prone to ingrowns when they first start waxing. Find a film free body wash and exfoliate once a week also use a treatment for ingrown hairs daily. If you’re using tend skin I would also reccomend using a moisturizer on the area to counter the drying effect of the alcohol. Dry skin build up will cause more ingrown hairs.

Page 1 of 2