StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Headstand pressup

• Headstand pressup

Posted by Carrington on May 5, 2015 at 5:53 pm

Im really trying to do an elbow/head stand press up and I cant even get my feet off the floor. Does anyone have any suggestions to build strength to at least get this started?

dustbunny replied 9 years ago 4 Members · 11 Replies
  • 11 Replies
  • Phoenix Hunter

May 5, 2015 at 6:15 pm

get into the elbow stand without trying to lift. sweep one leg up, then the other. (against a wall or pole) then work on the negative part of this move by doing this: once you are in your elbow stand, staddle your legs then lower them slightly. bring them back up. do several reps of these. work on getting the legs/feet lower each time. eventually you want to get as low as you can without falling then lift back up. as you get stronger you will be able to go further and further each time. keep your butt glued to the pole as you are doing this. at first you may only be able to lower the legs a couple of inches without falling. it will get better. do this 3 times a week 15 reps each time. I’m going to post a short video for you in a minute

• Veena

Administrator
    May 5, 2015 at 6:26 pm

Having the flexibility in hamstrings and shoulders to bring the HIPS over the HEAD is key! If you can’t bring them past then lifting will be extremely difficult! Can you walk the feet up as shown in the lesson and get into elbowstand?

• Veena

Administrator
    May 5, 2015 at 6:30 pm

Oh! Also you’ll find a list of other lessons below the main elbowstand lesson, these are not random, but lessons for you to work on helping you achieve the main lesson posted 😊 https://www.studioveena.com/lessons/view/54b6ab93-39ec-49ff-8395-6d000a9aa0eb

• Phoenix Hunter

May 5, 2015 at 6:33 pm

And Veena’s Tips for Core video helped me alot! look it up!

• Phoenix Hunter

May 5, 2015 at 6:36 pm

her exercises with the ball, foam roller, then socks! those are great!!! I do those in my socks alot. or when I’m in the studio I slide on the toe of my platform

• Carrington

May 5, 2015 at 10:16 pm

Thanks everyone. I did go back and look at the video. I have tor really work on this I seem to have no strength at all. I can walk my legs back but have to kick to get my butt on the pole then kick to get legs up. When I try to lift legs I literally feel paralyzed 🙁 cant move at all. I will keep trying and use some of the tips suggested..Ill keep you posted…

• Veena

Administrator
    May 6, 2015 at 9:34 am

It’s totally normal to feel like you can’t even move an inch when starting. Keep at it consistently and you’ll get there!!

• Carrington

May 6, 2015 at 10:38 am

Thanks again Veena,, and can you clarify what you mean my hamstring flexibility? What exercises do you suggest to improve that?

• Veena

Administrator
    May 6, 2015 at 10:53 am

You’ll find one of the 3 Hamstring (back of leg) stretches listed in the “Related” lessons below the main player of the Elbowstand lesson. In the same place you’ll find other lessons to work on to help you achieve the elbowstand. If you would like more selection, go to the lessons link, click on stretching, and you’ll find additional stretches for the Hamstrings. The descriptions list what muscles are lengthened in each lesson, all lessons are placed in groups, so all Hamstring stretches are together. You may also want to stretch the Calf as well here is the first stretch for the calf to get you started. https://www.studioveena.com/lessons/view/4de63270-34c8-4e99-9706-02410ac37250

• Carrington

May 6, 2015 at 5:26 pm

Thanks Veena! Im on it..will update progress as time goes on..love the journey of pole always a goal to work on!

• dustbunny

May 6, 2015 at 6:11 pm

Exactly what Veena and Phoenix have said! Working the negatives is a hugely important step. You will get better at them if you keep trying!