StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Handstand issue

• Handstand issue

Posted by Polecat88 on January 17, 2012 at 6:15 am

So I'm working on doing handstands against the wall but I've noticed that my back and shoulders tend to hit the wall first rather than my feet, is this a strength issue? technique? Where might I be going wrong?

It means that it is quite hard to push off the wall into a free standing handstand. I'll try and get a video which will show where the problem lies.

amy replied 12 years, 4 months ago 5 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • Veena

Administrator
    January 17, 2012 at 8:24 am

Sounds like your too close to the wall.

• DedeJoy

January 18, 2012 at 7:45 am

I'm not sure, but I'll share with you a tip that my BF gave me (he teaches Kung Fu, so it turns out, I'm actually doing Pole Fu! LOL).

He suggested, once you get into your handstand, that you rock back and forth from side to side just a little. Not enough to throw off your balance so you crash to the floor, but just enough to find your center. You soon learn how forgiving your handstand is and your body tells you what to tighten or relax in order to stay inverted.

If it's a strength issue, then one thing I do to condition for handstands: Start in your basic invert. Slide down to your handstand. Walk your hands out about one foot from the pole. Bring your chest down to just a couple inches above your hands. Push up and back like you're doing a caterpillar climb. It's basically an inverted push up, using your feet to hang on to the pole. Do about five or ten of those and then go work on your handstand against the wall. Worlds of difference.

• Camkobo

January 18, 2012 at 8:13 am

If your'e facing the wall and trying to kick up to it, you're comprimising your form before you even get started.  It's very very difficult to get back to a neutral position from that way. 

Your best bet is to face away from the wall and learn to walk your feet up the wall. Once you build up the strength you'll walk your hands closer and closer to the wall until you are in your handstand.  Then it's just a matter of not touching the toe to the wall. This will keep you in a more stacked, aligned position.  If you don't have an instructor to check your alignment then at least take a picture and check the head position. Or post the pic here and we can check. 

• amy

January 18, 2012 at 8:28 am

A video would help. Are you working in holding a handstand or the press into it?