StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions GEL nail polish

• JeHanne

April 1, 2012 at 2:31 pm

Wow Lyme your nails look beautiful!!! This thread inspired me to by the Gelish from Sally's (had a coupon) so am going to try it out and see how it goes. : )

• Lyme Lyte

April 1, 2012 at 2:55 pm

Im sure ur going to love it!!!! Same concept…..

• polefairy

April 1, 2012 at 3:04 pm

I get Shellac nails done at a salon (occasionally) but I never get 14 days out of it. While it is incredibly durable, my nails grow so damn fast that within 4/5 days there is a gap on my nail with no colour. By day 14 half my nail is left with no colour. So I would deffo love to try gel nail polish. Haven't seen it over here for home use yet.You can get Salon gel that you need a UV light to set. Would be great to get a thicker, more durable alternative to nail polish though. Especially for people like myself whose nails grow super fast!

• Lyme Lyte

April 1, 2012 at 3:31 pm

Pole fairy, u would have the same problem w this polish if ur nails grow so fast, u will still have white by ur cuticle. I’m going to try to three weeks out of mine. I know they won’t chip, but along the cuticle is starting to grow out. Check out the video I posted a while ago…..

• amy

April 1, 2012 at 3:37 pm

i have a friend who gets the gel done in clear, so that her nails are protected, and she does regular polish colors over it. just a thought!

• nymphdancer

April 1, 2012 at 6:41 pm

that is why i used to do vintage half moon's so you couldn't see the grow out 🙂 since I do pinup and burlesque it works well with my style.

• jade s

April 2, 2012 at 12:23 am

Ok trying an experiment… I did my toenails using the gel base/top coat but regular colored polish. The test will be whether or not it survives my class tomorrow night. To be continued…

• Lyme Lyte

April 2, 2012 at 8:24 am

Jade, I read that if u use regular polish, it won’t last as long. But give us an update, be nice to get another opinion!

• stylynzy

April 2, 2012 at 9:53 pm

I recommend putting suscreen on your fingers and wipe off the nails with alcohol before you start. The uv light will damage your skin over time just like a tanning bed will.

• Lyme Lyte

April 2, 2012 at 10:59 pm

Never thought of that.  Oh well, my hands are looking like an old ladies already…… 🙂

• jade s

April 2, 2012 at 11:28 pm

Great tip stylynzy, I will definitely remember that when I do my nails again. Ok, so although my toenails didn’t hold up as well as I had hoped, just the very tips were slightly rubbed off. Normally, virtually all the polish on my big toes are pretty much gone after class. I will do the full gel nail process next week and see if they hold up better.

• Lyme Lyte

April 2, 2012 at 11:36 pm

Yeah Jade, from what I read that doesn’t really work. But now we know!

• Dancing Paws

April 3, 2012 at 9:41 am

I agree with putting on sunscreen. UV damage is cumulative, so even a low dose over time has the potential to cause problems. I do see that the lamps are considered safe, but I'd still be cautious, ya know?

• stylynzy

April 3, 2012 at 10:46 am

Wearing shoes dancing definitely helps my pedicure. My toes get destroyed much quicker barefoot.

• stylynzy

April 3, 2012 at 10:46 am

Wearing shoes dancing definitely helps my pedicure. My toes get destroyed much quicker barefoot.

Page 4 of 5