StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions GEL nail polish

• nymphdancer

March 17, 2012 at 2:14 pm

ulta and box stores are starting to sell the polishes too, bit cheaper then gelish but they are smaller containers. Mom is buying me all the stuff to start doing my own we figure with a decent light it will end up just under 100 bucks. However since mine have to be done every 14 days (my nails grow super fast and even doing vintage half moons there is too much growth after that and I have found they start to peel) I figure since I pay 30+ tip I will be far ahead shortly.

• Lyme Lyte

March 17, 2012 at 3:08 pm

UPDATE!  First go around…..Went to Walmart and bought JUST the color, not base, top or special "cleaner".  I then went to buy a black light (which the net said all black lights are LED), so they had one light that was like three feet long or a regular light bulb size for $3.00.  Came home, put the bulb in a desk lamp and moved the neck just about an inch from the table.  Put on my polish, which is so shiney and stuck em up under the light.  After 2 min, I took them out and to see how "hard" it was, I touch my nails slightly to my face.  Well, not a good idea, the polish didn't cure and I had it all over my face….and hands since I tried to wash it off with soap and hot water.  So, I have $13.00 into this so far, and not working.  Going to try to reapply (just try ONE nail) and keep it under for much longer.   If that doesn't work, going to try a different light.

• chemgoddess1

March 17, 2012 at 3:12 pm

NO, all black lights are not LED.  LED is light emitting diode which is a fairly new technology.  I believe that you need a specific UV wavelength to cure this stuff.  Not sure what that is but the cheapest UV light will be reptile lights.

Getting my geek on…http://www.nailsmag.com/article/91808/the-science-of-gels?Page=4

• chemgoddess1

March 17, 2012 at 3:13 pm
  • Vertical Joes

March 17, 2012 at 3:15 pm

ooh! i love doing my own gel at home! i use the gellish kit and it takes some time but the nails come out salon quality- i went to Sallys at first then returned everything when i saw it all on AMAZON for a fraction of the cost!! I put the gel on my toes and hands!! yes!

• chemgoddess1

March 17, 2012 at 3:16 pm

One more….black lights are UV.  Their wavelength is 400-410nm.  Hence this is reason black lights will not cure the gel….it needs somewhere around 375nm.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_light

• chemgoddess1

March 17, 2012 at 3:18 pm

OK…so I am getting a kick out of the last article.  Nothing like having an exothermic reaction going on on your nails!!  EEEK!!

• Lyme Lyte

March 17, 2012 at 3:21 pm

OK Chem,  getting too technical for my brain.  Going to go to Home Depot, what shall I ask for???

• daisyheadmayzie

March 17, 2012 at 9:54 pm

I have been using the “red carpet” brand gel system from ulta. My nails are amazing, they look salon done. It’s easy and way cheaper than the salon. Lasts on me for about 2 to 3 weeks and I am tough on my nails. Also a bit cheaper than the hellish system from Sally.

• daisyheadmayzie

March 17, 2012 at 9:54 pm

I have been using the “red carpet” brand gel system from ulta. My nails are amazing, they look salon done. It’s easy and way cheaper than the salon. Lasts on me for about 2 to 3 weeks and I am tough on my nails. Also a bit cheaper than the hellish system from Sally.

• jade s

March 17, 2012 at 10:44 pm

I love that Chemie has all the answers to everything! Girl you are like a walking, pole dancing, human encyclopedia! Lyme, can’t wait to hear how the gel polish works. I’ve been dying to try it. I’m el cheapo and impatient too! I tried just using the Revlon Colorstay gel polish last week, and it lasts a couple days longer on my fingernails, but I had to redo my toenails the next day after dancing. Love the pole, but it’s murder on my mani/pedi!

• Lyme Lyte

March 17, 2012 at 10:49 pm

Daisy, how much did the kit cost you?

• Kobajo84

March 17, 2012 at 11:02 pm

I've never used the gel without the base or top coats, I would assume it wouldn't cure like it's supposed to just like if you don't use a UV light. 

• daisyheadmayzie

March 18, 2012 at 10:02 am

I believe it was around $50 for everything. I did invest in thier "pro light" a couple months ago which was another $40 or $50 but I love it because it takes only 45 seconds to cure each coat. So worth it.  Had I been one to get my nails done every couple weeks at a salon, this kit has paid for itself already, many times over.  http://search.ulta.com/nav/brand/Red%20Carpet%20Manicure/0  Look for Ulta coupons on http://www.retailmenot.com   I never shop online without coupon codes.  Call me coupon queen.  Kobajo84 is correct, you do need the base and top coats.  I tried it without and it sucked. Bought the kit last fall, I use it all the time and I am only just now running out of base coat.  Product lasts a long time.

• kat pole princess

March 18, 2012 at 2:34 pm

i get gels all the time.  the lighting also depends on what kind of gel u use.  base and tope coat is a must or else it wont last as long.  i leave mone on for 3 weeks before  i get them touched up.  

im def not brave enuff to do it myself as i think i would be wearing it as would everything aorund me!!  lol.  im soo impressed by the ladies who can do it at home.  https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_e_wink.gif

Page 2 of 5