StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Foot Cramps!

• Foot Cramps!

Posted by LittleC on August 22, 2009 at 12:41 am

I wear heels all the time for work, and when I practice I usually wear superheels. I know that this isn’t the best way to feet that feel great, so I’ll give that disclaimer up front.

My feet are cramping really badly – mostly at night when I’m winding down. Unless my foot is actively flexed (and sometimes I have to kind of position it against the coffee table to hold it in that position), my instep will start to contract slowly and my foot curls up. Besides being freaky, it hurts! Does anyone else have this happen, or know why? Is it my body finally rebelling against the shoe abuse, or are my feet just being used in different ways and the muscles have to adjust? Thanks in advance for the insight.

Tine007 replied 14 years, 9 months ago 7 Members · 7 Replies
  • 7 Replies
  • mamacita86

August 22, 2009 at 2:23 am

try a pilates foot stretch lay on ur back feet on edge of table with toes wrapped around like a bird perch stretch legs out straight then flex feet down then back to point with slight bend do it about 10-15 times

• Veena

Administrator
    August 22, 2009 at 4:26 am

sometimes cramps can come from a nutrient deficiency. Not drinking enough water can cause electrolytes to be off causing cramps. Potassium can help…like bananas a cucumbers, I have been told Calcium can help too, but I don’t know about that one. I did seem to help me when I was pregnant. Of course it could just be tired feet https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_cry.gif If a cramp comes on make sure not to squish up the foot in the same direction as the cramp, flex the foot the opposite way. https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_flower.gif

• azzwoo

August 22, 2009 at 9:23 am

It might be that if you wear heels all the time you tendoachillees has shortened a bit. Wear flat shoes for a while, it may be uncomfortable but it would be better in the long run to stretch them out now or you may get problems later on. I work with loads of kids who come in with flat feet and have pain, and a lot of them walk up on their toes as it creates them a medial arch (they’re compensating for the lack of stability in their flat feet by doing so). When you wear heels it similarly creates an arch on the inside border of your foot, it may be that you are overusing the muscles that support the arch during the day while doing this and at night they go into spasm due to overuse. I would try and wear flat shoes for at least a portion of the day, or regularly take your heels off and have a walk barefoot to stretch. Or when you take your heels off put them in warm water and then stretch them, should help with the cramps, but this is only what i’d try!

• deetron

August 22, 2009 at 9:49 am

When you say freaky it reminds me of my foot cramp! When I get mine – only in one foot – my toes all curl over to one side (outwards from big toe) I flex my foot and extend my toes to get rid of it but it usually comes back a few times in one sitting and if this starts when I’m in the gym I’ll have to quit for the day – it’s weird sometimes I’ll be working on upper body and I get this stupid cramp in my toes!! I have flat-ish feet and I wear orthotics for running. But! I *never* wear heels – maybe twice a year – so I know that’s not causing it!

I’d go to a chiropodist/podiatrist to have your arches checked!! https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_e_smile.gif

• LittleC

August 22, 2009 at 12:46 pm

I knew you all would have some good ideas! Giving up my heels would be the last option, of course – but at least there are other things I can try before I get all drastic. I do think that the tendons have shortened – I actually prefer heels because they’re more comfortable. Plus, I’m only 5’0". https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_e_smile.gif

I will try some of these and hope for the best!

• moth

August 22, 2009 at 4:35 pm

Potassium can help…like bananas a cucumbers
    Oooh, I’m going to start scoffing more bananas and see if that helps! My feet cramp sometimes too. I know it’s not ’cause of too little water or calcium and I’m rarely in heels. The sole of my foot normally gets tight, then my toes start sticking out at funny angles/curling up of their own accord. I usually have to stop dancing ’cause it keeps coming back. :[

Hope your foot cramps go away soon – I know what a pain they can be!

• Tine007

August 23, 2009 at 9:48 am

Three things come to my mind here:

(1) simple stretch: kneel on the floor and sit on your heels, then tuck the toes under and keep sitting on the heels.
    This might be quite painful at first and a few seconds might be enough. I still can’t stay very long…

(2) rolling balls foot massage (this is from Yamuna Zake’s "Ultimate Body Rolling Workout" book): get two Hi-bounce Pinky balls (foam balls in size of tennis ball, but not hollow. Got mine for 1 $ at Walmart in the toy section). place balls under your heels while standing and take a few breaths. You can hold on to a wall. move balls about 1" at a time forward, towards the toes, and repeat breathing. Continue till you stretch the toes over the balls. Takes about 5 min. If you have more time you can repeat this moving the balls along the outside of the bottom foot and the inside/arch.

(3) toe stretchers: help to spread the toes and relax the feet. My favourites are YogaToes http://www.yogapro.com/ts/toestretcher.html. I admit they are expensive, but you can google for a coupon code that is usually 15 bucks off. I had cheaper ones first and they didn’t fit well and broke quite quickly… I have seen cheaper versions at the local drug store, too, if the YogaToes are too expensive. They can be uncomfortable at first when your feet are tight, but soon it felt like a mini-vacation for my feet https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_cheers.gif

Hope your feet relax and stop cramping soon!!!