StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Flexibility/Stretching

• Flexibility/Stretching

Posted by HunnyHeatha on February 5, 2010 at 11:19 pm

So I’m not very flexible, but I would LOVE to be.
    How often should I be stretching? Daily? multiple times a day? a couple times a week?
    What stretches do you find to be the best?
    Do you do stretches even when you’re not exercising (like on your "rest" days)?
    Thanks!

HunnyHeatha replied 14 years, 3 months ago 7 Members · 7 Replies
  • 7 Replies
  • Chrissy05

February 5, 2010 at 11:30 pm

I have no suggestions…i’m actually interested in finding out the same thing! LOL I want to increase my flexibility. I haven’t even gotten my pole yet but cannot wait to do a JADE and EXTENDED BUTTERFLY! I think they are so beautiful. So now is the time for me to start stretching and building up my flexiblity. I want to know what suggestions other people have!

• minicoopergrl

February 6, 2010 at 12:27 am

Im always stretching. I do one thats really helped improve my splits (my profile pic is no stretching before), my box spilt is starting to improve.

Heres what I do:
    For box splits: im on my hands and knees. I push out my knees as far as my body can do it (very similar to how a hockey player stretches – sorry watching the Caps game at this point). I try to get deep as possible, once ive done that I get up and do it with my legs out as if im doing the box split.

Regular splits: I do more warming up this. Im on one knee, I learn forward with out having my knee go past my toes. Then I rock back and have that front leg straight out but my body towards the back.

Im always stretching my arms and fingers. I have an office job so im always sitting.

• Sapphirecatzeye

February 6, 2010 at 12:54 am

on my profile pictures i have 3 parts of how i use the couch to start a stretch session for your back, kinda like using a yoga roller or something, i think it really helps! https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_e_biggrin.gif

• MilienElayne

February 6, 2010 at 12:38 pm

I remember from one of Veena’s first beginner vids that you should always warm up first and THEN stretch out.

My physio also told me not to do dedicated stretches before a workout, just a lesser form of what you’d be doing in your dancing session, so like stretches but more focus on movement than a held stretch: controlled and continuous. The real stretching is part of the cool down and maybe more after you finish class or your workout. This was the advice given to me after I partially ruptured my hamstring (doing a cartwheel kick into drop splits) and my physio knew I was going to continue classes straight away anyway. I had to do my physio exercises first, then stretch and ice only after, if not seperately. She said if I stretched fully first, I’d be more prone to pulling a muscle when exercising.

I see performers stretch out before they do anything, but some of them have crazy flexibility and that may just be their warming up as other things mightn’t get in there? I don’t know.

Check with a doctor, physio or other expert if you’re unsure.

There are so many stretches! I don’t do much on my own unless it’s necessary to nail a new move. I’m bad like that… but luckily I take several classes a week which include stretches. My splits come and go. Some days when I get really warm, I can drop into front splits on both sides then my hips will lock up in places and I can’t get into a straddle far at all, where other times I can straddle further than before. Weird.

I found this useful for pictures of splits stretches, but as with everything, take with a grain of salt and use your own judgement: http://members.fortunecity.com/tchb1/Splits.htm

Be gentle!

• Sabrina27

February 6, 2010 at 4:39 pm

I’m planning on starting Bikram Yoga also known as Hot Yoga which is supposed to be excellent in helping you to become more flexible. Just hoping I don’t pass out!

• FreeTheSun

February 7, 2010 at 5:28 pm

Drink lots of water the day of and the day before and eat pretty healthy too. My old yoga instructor was chatting about her experience with Bikram Yoga. She said if she had been at all dehydrated the day before or had been eating junk and not a lot of fresh things a few days leading up to class that she would not feel the best in her classes. It could be that her body was particularly sensitive to such things but she thought it was that the heat somewhat exacerbated what was going on with your body that you might not normally be affected by. Either way, be really hydrated.
    Side note: I just realized the reason I don’t feel as flexible as I used to be unless I am really warmed up is probably because I was outside in jeans in really hot places (we’re talking average of around 115 F for most of the year, winter was a balmy 68 and I was in sweatshirts cause I was freezing) all the time so I was eternally warmed up. Maybe I should try hot yoga too.

• HunnyHeatha

February 7, 2010 at 8:49 pm

I found this useful for pictures of splits stretches, but as with everything, take with a grain of salt and use your own judgement: http://members.fortunecity.com/tchb1/Splits.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Be gentle!
    OMG!! Some of those pictures are kinds scary looking!!! But that is exactly what I’m looking for!!
    Thanks!! I’m adding that link to my favourites!!