StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Feeling a bit bummed :(

• Feeling a bit bummed :(

Posted by Carrington on January 21, 2015 at 1:25 pm

So I went to a studio last night near my hometown because I bought a 10 class pass. And every time I go to this studio I leave feeling like crap! The girls there are super flexy and athletic and can get in and out of advance moves with ease. They say the class i attended is for all levels and I did feel welcome but it was quite intimidating and for the not so advanced girls she had us practicing booty circles and pole walks. I was thinking I didn’t pay $80 to practice booty circles. She did instruct with prepping and strengthening exercises to get into the advanced moves but it still left me feeling defeated. I have been working my ass of to get my aerial invert and when i showed the instructor she told me my form was way off and showed me her perfect aerial invert. She tried to give me pointers but then said “or you could keep doing it your way” I left before the class was over because i dont’ pay money to feel like crap. I sill have about 5 classes left on my stamp but highly doubt Ill be back.

Carrington replied 9 years, 3 months ago 7 Members · 10 Replies
  • 10 Replies
  • Phoenix Hunter

January 21, 2015 at 1:59 pm

Im so sorry to hear that! that really sucks. it’s like this, if you were able to do it her way you wouldnt be doing it “your way”. sometimes the things I do in pole are because I CANT do them any other way and it is not the way I want to be doing it! maybe try going to a class that is specifically for your level. I feel like sometimes in all levels classes or workshops the more advanced students get all the attention and the rest of us who are struggling and learning get left behind and we dont really learn anything. but one day, you will be one of the more advanced students only you will will know how the others struggling feel. I try to always encourage others who are beginning and think I’m doing a good job. I’m always very open about how hard it has been for me but it is possible for everyone. dont let that class discourage you. I know how that feels. sometimes situations like this are the kick in the butt we need to work even harder. that is such a bad feeling to have an experience like that.

• poleisnewtome

January 21, 2015 at 2:20 pm

The girls who are flexible and athletic are probably like that because they’ve been practicing for a lot longer. They were at the same level you are at once. You didn’t say how many classes you have attended at this studio so far, but it can be difficult for an instructor to teach to everyone’s individual skill level, especially if she has only met the students a couple times. If she did instruct with prepping and strengthening moves, that’s good. If you do feel welcome, like you said, then maybe give it some more time until the instructor gets to know you and your particular skill level better. Or try to go at a time where the class isn’t as full so that you could get some more individual attention. Good luck!

• AllysonKendal

January 21, 2015 at 2:52 pm

Bummer!

All classes where I go are mixed levels, and I often have days that I’m the weakest one in class (even though I’ve probably been going the longest). Of course its hard not to compare and feel defeated, but its something you need to practice, just like any other part of pole. 🙁 I do feel like I’ve gotten a lot better, and I rarely let it effect me these days. I just try and do my personal best. (That being said, I’ve said numerous times on here I’m intimidated about going to like pole conventions…I always say, I’ll go when I get better)

About the instructor… It’s part of her job to make you feel encouraged and welcomed. However, I will agree teaching a mixed level class is HARD and takes some planning… and if you’re not really sure who is going to show up to class that day its hard to plan. Seems like she had a Plan A for the advanced students and a plan B for the beginners… but didn’t have something in between. :/

Should she have said (just using legs as an example) “I would try and focus on keeping your legs straighter in your invert, you can work up to this by straightening one leg at a time” or whatever… instead of saying “or you could keep doing it your way”. BUT instructors are just people, and sometimes they don’t phrase everything perfectly, and put their foot in their mouth.

I would try not to take it personally (I know, easier said that done) and I’d just try and switch up the class time or instructor for the remainder of your lessons. You may find yourself the most advanced one in your next class… Who knows!

• AllysonKendal

January 21, 2015 at 3:41 pm

Side note: I just went to sign up for my normal “mixed level” class on Wed and it now says “intermediate/advanced” and I was texting with my instructor anyway so I mentioned it… And she said she didn’t want a beginner to sign up for it because it would just be too hard to teach. Since there are usually 2-4 of us “regulars” every Wed. So I guess it’s really hard to make everyone feel like they got their money’s worth.

• sundcarrie

January 21, 2015 at 4:06 pm

I love multi-level classes. I used to get really inspired by the ladies that were better than I was. After reading about your experience I am so grateful for the environment I learned in. All of the ladies were warm, welcoming and completely aware that it is intimidating to see advanced ladies. They were always very helpful and encouraging always reminding me that they started where I was and it took a lot of practice to get where they were.

In those classes all the ladies help each other. Our teacher actually teaches several different versions, variations or progressions of a particular move to give students something to work on then asks the newer students to meet her at another pole so she can give them a pole move to work on.

Advanced students like the open pole time, intermediate students like the ideas of what to work on and new students get a little more private attention. I think it is finding the right class too. We have another teacher and I never go to her class because I prefer the open pole time when I am in an all levels class as opposed to working on her series beginner to intermediate moves.

Since you already paid for the classes I would think the instructor would have more interest in working with you. Maybe you could ask her to teach you some things on the pole that she thinks you are ready for at least you might feel like you got something for your money.

• HilaryKate aka LolaSlaytor

January 21, 2015 at 6:09 pm

Have you given the studio/instructor any feedback?
    As others have mentioned, it can be hard to figure out the skill level of students that you haven’t taught before or that you don’t know well… You can’t expect an instructor to be a mind-reader. Maybe she didn’t have any idea that you were disappointed at only doing booty circles and pole walks. It sounds like she could have worded it differently when she said your form needed work for your aerial invert, but if she had corrections, maybe you could ask her to point out the differences between your form and hers starting from the ground instead of aerially? It’s good to learn different techniques and give them a try. You never know when you might stumble across someone else’s technique that just makes everything click for you!

• Carrington

January 22, 2015 at 12:43 pm

Thanks for the feedback. I feel better today. I’ve read the reviews online on yelp and apparently I’m not the only one who has had an off putting experience with the studio.

• Sabina Rex

January 22, 2015 at 4:40 pm

Thats terrible! I watch your vids and i think your progress is going really well. Reading that actually really upset me. There are of course, frusterating times for each of us in our pole journeys and great obstacles each of us will face; but at the end of th day, pole should leave us feeling powerful and fulfilled. If the instructor failed to do that, she is the one at fault. You are a powerful, beautiful POLE DANCER with outstanding potential and a great spirit; and no one can take that from you unless you let them.

• Sabina Rex

January 22, 2015 at 5:47 pm

Dance to big sean i dont uck with you. That always puts me in a superstar mood when im feeling crappy

• Carrington

January 23, 2015 at 10:51 am

Thanks Krazykitty..that’s why i love this site so much support!!