StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Faith, Pole, Front Page News, and My First Pole Comp

• Faith, Pole, Front Page News, and My First Pole Comp

Posted by JoleneBell on January 13, 2016 at 6:44 pm

As many of you guys know, I’m a born again Christian. Yep, I’m a Christian and I pole dance. Somehow, this is a difficult thing for some OTHER Christians to swallow.

I love pole dance. I love what it has done for me mentally, physically, AND spiritually. In the beginning, I kept it to myself. I didn’t want anyone “thinking badly” of me, or “getting the wrong impression.” Then, as I grew more, I realized that I have little control over what people think of me, and they’ll think what they want anyway. That I was limiting myself as a person, as a woman for crying out loud, by keeping pole dance to myself. Not to sound melodramatic, but I have since come to learn and have my eyes opened to the oppression that women suffer both in our nation and across the globe.

Oppressing our sexuality and our bodies is part of it.

“She’s dressed like a total slut.” “Oh my gosh, that skirt is so short.” “She’s dancing so sexy, wow. That’s terrible.” Really? Why? Why is it terrible? And how is she dressed like a slut? What does that mean? How does how she’s dressed have anything to do with you, or anyone else?

I used to be in this school of thought, but I’ve since learned that I was part of the problem. Tearing down another person for ANY reason never helps society in any way. You can see how someone is dressed, but you can’t see their heart. You don’t know why she’s showing cleavage, but it’s likely because she’s comfortable in her skin and feels sexy (gasp) dressing in a feminine way. How does that in any way have anything to do with you or me? I’ve come to the place where I’m encouraged when I see women dressed sexy, because it’s their confidence in themselves that matters most, and not objectifying their own bodies that is incredibly inspiring.

I had a meeting this morning with a pastor from my church, because I want to start a small group (for those unfamiliar, a small group is a group where people with like interests meet and grow and encourage and lift each other up). She is a sweet woman, and very conservative. She had to point out to me that as a small group leader, I’d be representing the church (it’s one of the largest in the nation, by the way), and it would give any negative powers like the media something to run with. Now, I get where she’s coming from. I really do. Agree, even. However, I think it’s yet another tragic and sad sign about how far we have to go as women.

She asked me how my pole dancing honors God. I asked her how it doesn’t. She said she didn’t know, and that’s what she’s trying to figure out. I liked the opportunity to talk with her about it all, and she was open minded to a point, but overall, we agreed to disagree. She openly said that she’s not comfortable with herself, and she admires how I am. I wanted to tell her “That’s because of the oppression of women in our society! I’ve broken through it! You too can be set free!” But of course, I didn’t go that far.

I view our conversation as a small seed planted in her mind and spirit. We walked away from the meeting with respect and love for each other, and here’s hoping, a step toward changing the world for the better.

I’ll find a small group of ladies I can get to know and grow with. But I won’t stop pole dancing. It is such a part of who I am, and I have never felt an iota of conviction from God that it is wrong. My intention is NOT to get up on a stage and provoke the lust of men (or women, for that matter). I have only ever poled for ME, MYSELF, and I. Sharing the joy of it through performance and feeling the love of an audience is a bonus. Celebrating sexiness and sensuality doesn’t have to be wrong!!! I’m so tired of being influenced by society to be ashamed of my body and who I am.

I’d like to encourage other women, Christian or not, who are huddled in a closet of pole dance shame, or any closet of shame, for that matter, to ask yourself why you are compelled to do that. I view this issue to be as prominent and important as a woman’s right to vote. Women back then were shushed and repressed as well. Don’t speak out. Don’t make a stand. Don’t be confident in yourself. Stay behind closed doors, so none of us have to see it. Don’t make a stir. Don’t rock the boat.

I say, rock the motherloving boat. You are the only one who can change your world. If we want a better world for our daughters and friends to live it, it must start with us.

Shouldn’t it?

JoleneBell replied 8 years, 4 months ago 2 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • JoleneBell

January 13, 2016 at 6:57 pm

Here’s the link to the article written about me and the first Minnesota Regional Pole Dance Competitions: http://www.presspubs.com/quad/news/article_1a295e50-b968-11e5-a334-93e6520de03b.html

Let me know your thoughts!

• Lynne2657

January 14, 2016 at 8:44 am

Wow!!!
    I loved reading your post 🙂
    i too live in a conservative town and I am anything but, so I do find myself quickly explain that it is “not that kind of Pole Dancing” We have also just moved here so I am weary. The stronger I get and the more moves i can accomplish the less i feel the need to explain.
    My 9 year old daughter just loves it as is now starting a kiddies pole with my instructor. She is sooo excited. she is a free spirit and I love it, she is teaching me to just “give up worrying”
    wonderful to be able to do someething that is for us. Lets see what the school friends moms have to say about it. Little do they know, their daughters are all on my pole when they come to play.

• JoleneBell

January 14, 2016 at 1:47 pm

Love it! I’d love to see a video or photo of the two of you having fun! Yes, I’m thoroughly over the negativity and ignorance. Glad my post encouraged you!