StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Excited and Frustrated!

• Excited and Frustrated!

Posted by Mjohnson0911 on July 30, 2009 at 9:13 pm

So I finally got my pole today Yippee! But I think that my ceilings has NO joists. I have been trying for hours to find one and I don’t know what my problem is. I even went out to Lowe’s and bought a new studfinder because the one we had was crap but when I use it and mark a place…if I do it again the studfinder finds a different point! My hubby is out to sea right now and so I don’t have anyone here to help me beacuse all my friends and family live 1000 miles away! ARGH! I am so frustrated but excited because I want to get the darn thing up!
    Sorry for the venting but I know you guys will be the only ones who understand! https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_e_wink.gif

Mjohnson0911 replied 15 years ago 5 Members · 7 Replies
  • 7 Replies
  • Veena

Administrator
    July 30, 2009 at 9:22 pm

Stud finders wont work on plaster. I find them unreliable so I use the knock method. Just knock along the ceiling and when to tone changes from hollow to solid…there ya go https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_cheers.gif You found yourself a stud, now if only it were take simple to find a man stud. https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_lol.gif

Also be sure to check out:
    Things to Know BEFORE you install your Pole. Under DANCE POLES in the forum.

• Mjohnson0911

July 30, 2009 at 9:37 pm

I think I’m just being physco because I’m afraid of cracking the ceiling…so I wanna make sure I put it in a good place

• FreeTheSun

July 30, 2009 at 11:04 pm

you can test your knocking with a thin nail (maybe like a picture nail). that way if you hit a stud you’ll have resistance for a long time. But if it isn’t then after a about one hit with the hammer the thing just slides in and out easily. You stil have little holes in your ceiling but its better than drill holes or big holes from wrongly placed poles.

• amcut

July 31, 2009 at 1:04 am

Yeah, I second the "nails in the ceiling" method.

• Mjohnson0911

July 31, 2009 at 1:06 am

Thank the dear Lord! My dad is the savior of my life today…After trying everything…2 studfinders, tapping, knocking, and poking holes into the ceiling…he finally suggested a magnet! And it worked! So now onto putting it up! Wow I have had a stressed day. But I am so relieved to have found the joists! Yippee!

• SissyBuns

July 31, 2009 at 1:19 am

Thank the dear Lord! My dad is the savior of my life today…After trying everything…2 studfinders, tapping, knocking, and poking holes into the ceiling…he finally suggested a magnet! And it worked! So now onto putting it up! Wow I have had a stressed day. But I am so relieved to have found the joists! Yippee!

A magnet! Duh! I never though of that, lol.

• Mjohnson0911

July 31, 2009 at 4:06 am

Okay so still frustrated but not with the Joists…I think I must be mentally off today because I just couldn’t get the darned pole up. I tried and tried…Luckly my friend is coming over tomorrow. I think i’ll have better luck with another person on board.