StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Elbow grip issues

• Elbow grip issues

Posted by Polecat88 on April 12, 2012 at 3:05 pm

Hi all,

I recently got my ayesha, I can do forearm ans S/G easily, however, I am really struggling to get the hang of elbow grip.

Is there anything I can do which will help me get the positioning more correct? I will attempt to upload video if I can!

Much love,

Polecat 

Kyrsten replied 12 years, 1 month ago 4 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • polergirl

April 12, 2012 at 3:24 pm

Your hips need to be away from the pole. Bottom hand, shoulder, hip should be in straight line at about 45 degrees or so angling away from the pole. Tilt your pelvis under and round your back slightly while engaging your core. Really squeeeeeeze that elbow grip arm so your bicep and forearm are like a tiny vicegrips!  ðŸ™‚  

In final position your legs will be pretty much parallel to the floor.  You should be able to draw lines from your bottom hand to hipbone and then hipbone along legs to pole and make a triangle (triangles are wicked strong!). 

Amy had a blog post about this not so long ago, I think. 

• trickivix

April 13, 2012 at 5:11 am

The difference between the doing the split grip and forearm grip compared to the elbow grip is that you can split your legs and have your torso close to the pole, however, the best way to do elbow grip is to move your torso away from the pole. You need to feel resistance in the elbow pit that is keeping you from falling away from the pole. If you are too close, you won't have enough resistance and you will rely purely on your lower arm to keep you up. The tutorial polergirl is refering to is:

http://aerialamy.com/blog/2011/07/12/tuesday-tips-elbow-grip-ayesha/

polergirl has pretty much covered it, the only thing I can add is that you upper arm (the elbow grip one) should be wrapped around the pole fairly close to your knees (once you've caterpillared up), the arm will be at an angle, not parallel to the floor.

• Kyrsten

April 13, 2012 at 5:56 am

I find it helpful to grip really high with my elbow, trying to get it close to my knees. I push up into a caterpillar and hook that elbow as high up as I can, and like trickivix said, arm angled toward the floor. From there, really squeeze and PULL with that elbow.