StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Elbow grip ayesha, body position

• Elbow grip ayesha, body position

Posted by Sassafrassle on September 9, 2011 at 10:27 pm

I've had a look through previous threads but haven't quite found an answer to this particular questions so hopefully I"m not rehashing. I managed to get the elbow grip ayesha last week BUT (there's always a but;p) it turns out that I might not actually be doing it right so some advice would be good! So my epiphany came when I tried pushing out a bit to the side from the caterpillar instead of straight back (my elbow grip caterpillar is pretty solid but I was always a bit tentive about taking legs off properly), which made my elbow grip super-locked on. Only problem is, when I got my teacher to look at it today, she said my hips weren't really square onto the pole like they should be in the straddle so I'm not sure if my epiphany was actually a realisation at all or just a cheat for locking the grip (if that makes sense). In short, I'm not sure if I need to go back to trying to lean out from a straight-on position and just work on my core more or if the side push is actually a good thing and I just need to work on some way of straightening up my hips. Does any of this make sense??

tarah replied 12 years, 8 months ago 3 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • amy

September 9, 2011 at 11:09 pm

Your shoulders don't have to be square– and if you hold yourself more sideways to the pole, your hips will then also be out of square… But i would consider that a more advanced variation because if you're doing it right, your hips will also be way further away from the pole and holding it with a more horizontal torso is tough!

if you pull back on the elbow and really get your chest away from the pole, you should be able to hold the pose even if you are square.

i hate to be obnoxious but I posted a blog entry all about elbow grip ayesha and posting the link is faster then retyping =)

http://aerialamy.com/blog/2011/07/12/tuesday-tips-elbow-grip-ayesha/

i hope that helps!!

• Sassafrassle

September 10, 2011 at 12:04 am

Not obnoxious to post the link at all Amy – in fact I was originally going to post this as a comment on that page on your blog! The problem is that the entry doesn't exactly answer my question – I got the impression from my teacher that it wasn't so much my legs were out of square of the pole as they were on more of a slightly skewed front and back position rather than a straddle relative to my body. Probably what I need to do is to get someone to photograph or film what I'm doing so I can actually see for myself the problem:/ The thing is, my way of positioning feels really solid and steady (I could hold it so much better than my SG or FG ayeshas!) and so I was disappointed to hear that the rest didn't quite look how it should, hence why I wondered if maybe I was "cheating" rather than being in the position properly:(

• amy

September 10, 2011 at 9:08 am

Hm. I would suggest a pic 🙂 honestly it sounds like If you are secure and your chest is away from the pole, the upper body is correct and that’s really the part of the trick I worry about! You mean that your legs are in straddle but one is close to the pole an the other is reaching away? As a result of your shoulders being more sideways to the pole than facing it? All you would need to do is rotate through the lower body to turn your hips toward the pole, no?

• amy

September 10, 2011 at 9:09 am

Ahaha reading all this again, I think a pic would be the most helpful if u can swing one! 🙂

• tarah

September 10, 2011 at 10:04 pm

it seems to me that i have seen it done both ways (square to the pole, or off to one side), so  maybe they are both correct?