StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Elbow grip Aysha to straddle down safety concern…

• Elbow grip Aysha to straddle down safety concern…

Posted by MrsNaughtywed on December 7, 2011 at 1:26 pm

Just wondering if anyone else is having problems with this one..

You know that 'split grip' that's not entirely safe for your bottom arm/wrist?  I know in the past I was taught this grip improperly and it caused a lot of pain to my arm/wrist. Well it healed but ever since I've been working on the elbow grip aysha to straddle down, the arm/wrist pain is back with a vengence.

It's so painful to the point where I cannot even attempt this move anymore or even do an elbow grip aysha. I now have limited mobility in this arm and it's causing me to be unable to pole. 🙁

In my opinion I think the straddle down part uses too much weight on your bottom hand like the split grip and it messed up my arm/wrist again. Or.. I just don't get it and lack strength. 

Is anyone else having this problem? Just wondering. 🙂

MrsNaughtywed replied 12 years, 5 months ago 4 Members · 8 Replies
  • 8 Replies
  • amy

December 7, 2011 at 2:00 pm

you're talking about the elbow grip aysha to elbow grip iron X? in that move, use your TOP arm, not your bottom!!!

• MrsNaughtywed

December 7, 2011 at 2:36 pm

It's not quite like the elbow grip iron x. With Aysha straddle down you don't come out as far from the pole. You start of as regular aysha then to straight edge and then you pike/straddle down until you are in a straight leg seated position on the pole. But yeah I know what you mean, I try and use my top arm/elbow gip more but I donno.. its like my weight just shifts to my bottom arm no matter how hard I try not too. Hmmm

• amy

December 7, 2011 at 2:46 pm

are you comfortable with flagging out of a recliner/cross ankle release/layback with control?

• amy

December 7, 2011 at 2:47 pm

also– just a minor note– split grip IS safe as long as you are properly engaged and using your top arm to pull down. the bottom arm shouldn't be bearing enough weight to create stress on the bottom wrist!!

• Cinara

December 7, 2011 at 8:10 pm

Split grip isn't dangerous per se – it's more about having your weight supported by muscles that aren't really equipped for it. Any time you are on the pole and have a lot of body weight being supported from underneath by one arm, you are at serious risk for muscle strains – been there, done that myself! 

If at any point you are gripping the pole with your bottom hand thumb-down (whether in a carousel, boomerang, cradle, aysha, butterfly, whatever) the main job for the bottom hand is balance and steering – most of your weight should always be taken by the top hand.

This can get tricky with elbow grip aysha because you need to take all your weight while gripping with an elbow. I find that the further I get my hips from the pole, the less pressure I put on my bottom hand, and the safer it is. This could be a problem for straddling down from an aysha – because I don't know off-hand if it's possible to take most of the weight with your elbow grip for the whole descent.

I think you'd either have to focus on keeping the feeling of "leaning out" and pulling away from the pole the whole time or build up a lot of strength in your forearms (as in, more than is natural and it would take some time and work).

Also, I suspect you'd need to be able to hold an "embrace" pose, or better yet a one-handed "embrace" to know that your elbow grip is secure enough to take most of your weight and protect your bottom hand.

I find my upright split grip is most secure when I have my top forearm parallel to the pole: maybe you could try changing your grip to a forearm grip (descend into flag), or split grip with forearm against pole as you descend?

Elbow grip aysha, straddle down sounds like an awesome move. I'll have to see if I can do it. In the meantime take care of yourself and give your poor forearms a rest (easier said than done in my experience!)

• MrsNaughtywed

December 10, 2011 at 7:28 am

Amy I don't think I've tried it from a layback/cross knee before. I might try it from those moves once my arm feels better. I'm curious to see if from a different move do I run into the same problem. 

Cinara thanks for your reply. I'm not quite sure what the embrace hold is but I asume it's an upright elbow hook?  Been doing some thinking and I just think that this is too dangerous for me. I've tried it a million times and I just cannot seem to do it safely without hurting it more. I just don't think I'm strong enough. I'm not trying to get down on myself, just being honest. Yesturday I couldn't even open up my car door with this arm. I think I ran into one of my limits I just may have to stay away from or I'm just not ready yet. 

Thanks ladies. Just needed someone to validate what I've been thinking. Because others are getting it after a few tries at my studio except me. And I just wanted to understand why I can't do it yet. 🙂

• Danielle Tillie

December 10, 2011 at 4:45 pm

It seems to me like you’re describing an elbow grip aysha jackknife position? In that case the hips do need to be quite far from the pole to allow for proper distribution of weight between the elbow and the bottom hand. I suggest that you definitely hold off from doing the move again until you’ve let this injury heal completely. Keep doing strength conditioning exercises and when things have healed, you’ll have gained the strength you need! This move isn’t impossible for you, you just need to be patient with yourself.

• MrsNaughtywed

December 10, 2011 at 10:31 pm

Thanks englann! I won't give up. Just a healing break and I'll try again later. 🙂