StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Do stretches need to be consistent?

• Do stretches need to be consistent?

Posted by velvetvixen on October 25, 2009 at 1:59 pm

Hi. I pole every other day to prevent tiring the muscles, however I want to stretch daily to get more flexible and prevent injury. I have two stretching dvds- a basic beginner one that has 3- 10 minute ones and a dancers isolated stretch which is stretches literally every muscle you have that’s an hour long. On days I don’t pole I have time to do the hour one but on days I do pole I think an hour stretching is too much when Id rather be doing pole stuff instead! Do I need to be doing the same stretches daily to get the best results quicker?

Should I
    A. do the dancers (long) dvd when have time and do the shorter dvd on days I pole, even though they are different stretches
    B. Pick stretches that are most important off the isolated dancers dvd and do them daily
    C. Pick stretches that are most important off the isolated dancers dvd and do them daily, on days not on pole do the whole 1 hour
    D. Pick a different routine/stretches specially for pole dance (any suggestions?)

Q1:Technically all the options may work but my biggest fear is injuring myself so I wanted the best choice to prevent that. Which do you think is best and why?
    Q2: Also on days I ONLY stretch how long should I do it? On days I do pole?

Thanks for your help. https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_e_smile.gif

FreeTheSun replied 14 years, 9 months ago 3 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • Sanchara

October 26, 2009 at 4:35 am

Generally most coaches in most sports that demand a high amount flexiblity recommend about an hour’s worth of stretching every day in addition to the few minuites worth that you would do in warm up. Just make sure to do some light cardio first on the day’s you’re not poling.

• velvetvixen

October 26, 2009 at 5:52 pm

Thanks for the info, good to know. I am doing this for fun vs. a sport/competition, so I mainly want to protect myself from injury, gradually get more flexible, and maintain what stretch/technique I gain. I know if you don’t do something daily you can "lose" all the work you put in. Knowing my "goals" would you still recommend an hour or a focus of some sort daily? Thanks. Unfortunately I can’t see me stretching an hour a day on top of pole. Maybe on days off the pole though. What would be the next best alternative? Thanks.

• Sanchara

October 26, 2009 at 10:36 pm

Yes, I’d still reccomend stretching daily, however with those goals in mind I don’t see the full hour being entirely neccicary.

• FreeTheSun

October 26, 2009 at 11:31 pm

Stretching daily is the ideal. With the time frame that depends not only on your goals but also with the types of stretches you do. Some are more efficient, for lack of a better word, than others. Regardless of the types of stretches done, most of the things I’ve read seem to think 20 to 30 min is good for gradually increasing your flexibility. If you’re cramped for time, any amount is better than nothing just to keep everything limber and moving.