StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Death Grip

• Death Grip

Posted by luckylindyhopper on September 17, 2010 at 2:26 pm

Any tips on killing the death grip? I really noticed it the other night at class when were doing hook spins and reverse hook spins. I literally got stuck and didn’t slide at all because of the death grip, not to mention my hands hurt so bad the next day from gripping like my life depended on it.

Ocuspocus replied 11 years, 11 months ago 6 Members · 8 Replies
  • 8 Replies
  • chemgoddess1

September 17, 2010 at 3:03 pm

Time?

Seriously, once you get more comfortable with the pole this will change.

• Charley

September 17, 2010 at 5:22 pm

until you get comfortable with things – you will death grip. It’s also a confidence issue – but don’t worry you will get there.

Pole is scary! lol! and fun! but scary!

• amy

September 17, 2010 at 5:48 pm

i’ve had some success in telling my students to focus on their wrist bone or a spot on their hand/wrist when they start the spin, with their wrist in neutral position, and to just stare at that point on your wrist as you spin and focus on keeping the same view in sight the entire time. for the front hook, try looking up at your inside hand/wrist; for the back hook, depending on which hand is deathgripping (or both) look up at your outside hand/wrist or try staring at the palm of your lower hand (which should be facing you in the spin).

• luckylindyhopper

September 17, 2010 at 5:50 pm

I’ve been poling since late June of this year. I’ve noticed with my fireman, which I’m comfortable with, I no longer death grip. I just get frustrated when trying to do a hook spin and the rest of my body is good to go, but my hands are just clinging. Lol.

• XxMissPrissxX

June 12, 2012 at 8:08 pm

I started poling about 2 months ago. My newbie death grip is so bad that i can hardly movemy fingers after class… cant wait fo rthis to pass. the pain really sucks!!

• Ocuspocus

June 13, 2012 at 5:43 am

I'm sorry to ask but what do you mean by "death grip"? Is it falling from a grip?

• chemgoddess1

June 13, 2012 at 6:46 am

Death grip is gripping the pole so hard that it kills your spins.  It is common until you get used to the fact that you will not fly off the pole.  It also takes some time to figure out how much you do indeed have to grip the pole.

On spins I pretty much grip the pole with the flushy part of my thumb, pinky and ring finger.

• Ocuspocus

June 13, 2012 at 6:59 pm

Oh, now I understand! thank you so much!