StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Curiosity about aerial leg positions

• Curiosity about aerial leg positions

Posted by Sassafrassle on July 31, 2012 at 2:41 pm

Just curious – when you do handsprings/cartwheels/aerial moves, is your preference to have straight edge legs or straddle/ayesha legs? Is it purely a preference or because you find one easier than the other? I ask because I always end up doing ayesha/straddle legs by default because I find it feels much safer than straight legs (generally I'll only do straight legs if I'm in forearm grip and on my way to brass monkey) and I assumed this was the same for everyone because I'd read it was easier to balance that way. Discussing it with a girl in my class last night though, she finds the opposite is true! So, wondering how Veeners find it:)

Danielle Tillie replied 11 years, 9 months ago 4 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • Danielle Tillie

July 31, 2012 at 6:12 pm

Yep, my go to position is straddle. Having the legs out like that allows for more control in balance. It’s like balancing with a broomstick instead of a small ruler. After my hips feel secure in their balance I’ll move to other positions. Their difficulty for me, in order, is straight edge, jackknife, rubber aysha (backbend), and then of course Iron X if that counts as a leg position. When learning the different grips, I did them in Veena’s order; forearm, elbow, split grip, (and limited twisted grip though Veena doesn’t teach that). With each new grip I conquered straddle and straight edge before moving on, then went back for the other more difficult leg positions. I’m curious to see other takes on this process. 🙂

• dustbunny

August 1, 2012 at 6:41 pm

I'm currently trying to learn a lot these moves.  🙂  I have better balance in forearm grip, but the most secure grip for me is split-grip.  Elbow grip is horrible for me and I have yet to try twisted grip although I want to.  My shoulders are strong and flexible, and the position isn't uncomfortable so I intend to try it just haven't gotten around to it.  As for the leg position, I have begun cartwheeling into a straddle (but can't hold a straddle when releasing from the pole?), but I have had the most luck with balance in a straightedge.   I haven't tried the jacknife or fang/rubber leg positions yet.

• MelCat

August 2, 2012 at 11:43 am

I always feel most comfortable with the straddle position, but I don't feel the jackknife is much different.  I actually find the jackknife often easier to balance in my twisted grips, especially when the pole is on static, but that's the only time I notice much difference between the jackknife and straddle positions.  After that I find the straight edge next in difficulty and the fang/rubber hardest to balance.  Another apparently weird thing for me is I find the elbow grip most comfortable (I get sweaty hands so whenever I have an alternative grip point I prefer it) and probably forearm grip the hardest.  I think all of these factors vary based on individuals' personal strengths, balance points, etc.

• Danielle Tillie

August 2, 2012 at 12:29 pm

I used to find elbow grip so difficult, but then I developed more forearm and bicep strength to hold solid with the elbow and figured out just how far away my butt needs to be away from the pole, which is pretty far compared to the forearm grip. Now I love elbow grip! 🙂