StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Cup Grip Deadlift Tips?

• Cup Grip Deadlift Tips?

Posted by emmasculator on August 12, 2015 at 9:46 am

I have been struggling to get this, and I wonder if anyone could spare any helpful tips. I can cup grip iron x just fine and acsend back into aysha, but deadlifting escapes me :(. When I orginally started attempting I would place my right (dominant hand) on the bottom of the pole and my left hand on the top as my cup grip. Then I would turn my chest to the ceiling push away with the bottom hand (which initially I kept straight and almost locked out, but now I try to keep more of a bend for leverage…and safety) From there I would try to bring my legs up and engage the biceps of my top arm. I can get my legs off of the ground, but as for lifting them to my torso….that’s just a big no. Would appreciate it if anyone could spare any tips or anecdotes from their experience with this move

emmasculator replied 8 years, 9 months ago 4 Members · 7 Replies
  • 7 Replies
  • Sabina Rex

August 13, 2015 at 1:02 pm

Well it helps to look up at the ceiling and focus all of your energy towards the ceiling. Did you see Shimmy’s tutorial yet? Its good but what really helped me was this tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOwdm3DZpf8&list=PLPcVVkf5a-rhDdxljXUuFG0nGdn6abfps&index=34
    even though it uses the twisted grip the body position will be the same. By twisting all the way out and lifting up with two bent legs, she really simplifies the motion.

• mystical

August 13, 2015 at 1:15 pm

Dakota fox on YouTube has this same tutorial, so if you want to check it out it might help you out..

• Veena

Administrator
    August 13, 2015 at 3:09 pm

Deadlifting from cup grip takes beastly strength!! The small change in grip really does make it more difficult because it changes the angle of the lift. Even when using a cup grip position you can still have tendinitis and other issues that come along with deadlifting too often, so keep reps to no more than 10 per session to avoid overuse injury.

Keep working on assending from cup grips and hit the gym lifting weights to target shoulders, lats and obliques! For any deadlifts working internal and external shoulder rotations will be helpful in injury prevention as well.

• emmasculator

August 13, 2015 at 3:25 pm

Thank you all so much for the tips! I have seen the Shimmy video and I found it to be quite helpful. I think my biggest problem comes with focusing everything on the ceiling. I can get my chest turned up and one leg almost crunched up but that’s all.
    And thank you Veena! I’ll be sure to hit the gym and target those muscles! And in will minimize my attempts. I usually only do three or four attempts per 1 hour session. Part of the reason I prefer cup grip is because my wrists lack the flexibility to lift from twisted grip so doing safely is a big concern. What would you recomend for for working on rotoation?

• emmasculator

August 13, 2015 at 3:30 pm

Ooh thank you Sabina, that video was quite helpful! I like the breakdown and the progression of the positioning. Haha wish I spoke Russian, but I think I get the gist.

• Veena

Administrator
    August 13, 2015 at 7:21 pm

Working on handstands is helpful for improving wrist strength. Also you’ll find several wrist and shoulder conditioning and mobility lessons here. Keep in mind some bodies aren’t meant to do some moves, that doesn’t mean you can’t come up with a similar outcome in your own safe way! 😊

• emmasculator

August 13, 2015 at 9:49 pm

Most excellent!! I’ll be sure to keep my eyes out for those! and sadly my body seems to be telling me that twisted grip lifting is not in my future, but it’s not the end of the world! Pole has so many alternatives!