StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Cruifix

• Cruifix

Posted by JorShi on February 14, 2010 at 1:53 am

How do I build up my thigh muscles to be able to hold myself up? I can’t get enough grip when I do a pole sit, any suggestions?

Layla Duvay replied 14 years, 5 months ago 6 Members · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • MilienElayne

February 14, 2010 at 2:25 am

There are lots of variables besides muscle that I can think of that might affect staying up in a sit. There’s all your grip variables: temperature of you, the pole, the environment… your skin condition – too sweaty, presence of lotion or oils, too dry… is it a humid day? Then there’s your technique… are you doing it right for you? Do you just need more practice? Are you not squeezing enough and in the right places reflexively because it hurts? Have you got a photo or vid of you trying this move so we can see what you’re doing? Have you tried different types of sits and stands to find one that works well for you right now?

Squats and grinds (aka plies), and low squatting jumps and squats into leg raises are good for the thighs, I think. Any ballet dvd will have heaps of thigh work in it.

• JorShi

February 14, 2010 at 2:44 am

There are lots of variables besides muscle that I can think of that might affect staying up in a sit. There’s all your grip variables: temperature of you, the pole, the environment… your skin condition – too sweaty, presence of lotion or oils, too dry… is it a humid day? Then there’s your technique… are you doing it right for you? Do you just need more practice? Are you not squeezing enough and in the right places reflexively because it hurts? Have you got a photo or vid of you trying this move so we can see what you’re doing? Have you tried different types of sits and stands to find one that works well for you right now?

Squats and grinds (aka plies), and low squatting jumps and squats into leg raises are good for the thighs, I think. Any ballet dvd will have heaps of thigh work in it.

I am posting a movie up now. It is still winter where I am so it kinda cold. It more or less feel like I only have fat there and not any muscle. I will try those two out and see if they help. Thanks!:)

• Reyn

February 20, 2010 at 4:54 am

I would just keep trying it- when I did it the first time I couldn’t hold, but after just persisting and trying a couple of times I got it. And if you don’t have the thighs to do it just yet, I imagine you will help build them by trying over and over to do the crucifix =)

• Audball

February 20, 2010 at 11:07 am

It felt like it took me ages to get the crucifix and pole sit. It took me a while to realise how hard you have to squeeze. When other people do it, it looks so easy, but that’s because they’ve had so much practise i guess! So when you’re dong your pole sit, squeeze your thighs closer together! And in the crucifix, I think feet have more importance than i’d realised too (and they got the most bruises), push them against the pole.

squeeze squeeze squeeze!!

• polergirl

February 20, 2010 at 10:11 pm

There really are so stinkin’ many variables, lol. Some days I am sticky as can be, and those are usually the days I don’t want to be sticky. Then, on days when I want to be, bleah. No luck.

Something you can do to give you the feel for where and how you’ll need to squeeze–after your climb, take whichever leg will be your front leg, and swing it around the pole and down, so that your front leg "locks" across the front of the pole. From here you should have a good enough grip in your thighs that you’ll be on your way! Hope this makes sense!

• Layla Duvay

February 20, 2010 at 11:37 pm

One thing that worked for me was to really tighten my core https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_e_surprised.gif (which kind of surprised me, actually)! Of course pole conditions really play a role and leg strength of course, but core was the key for me! Plus TONS of practice. Hope this helps. https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_e_biggrin.gif