StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Craving that Bobbi style

• donnalee

May 11, 2012 at 2:36 am

Thanks @ Scarlethoney for the in depth reply. I understand what you mean about one way to  become more fluid is to just practice  and go for the combos. Fun to read from someone who really knows about Bobbi's. In reading more about the studio I also found a previous video you posted where you are actually practing at Bobbi's studio. Fabulous : )

• Scarlett Honey aka Lola Grace

May 11, 2012 at 3:34 am

You are welcome girls. I always love to chat! 🙂 This will be much better though; an interview with Bobbi herself! Check it out:  http://chwennyland.com/2012/05/08/the-bobbi-interview-part-1-all-about-the-pole/

• Chwenny

May 11, 2012 at 4:39 am

Thanks Scarletthoney for linking to the interview post! 🙂 I thoroughly enjoyed that chat with Bobbi.. was hella intimidated before I met her but she's lovely in person! Btw here's part 2 of that interview, where Bobbi shares about her past experience as a cabaret strip tease dancer in Japan! Its got some rockin' vintage photos of her too:

http://chwennyland.com/2012/05/10/the-bobbi-interview-part-2-all-about-the-bobbi/ 

So I'm a Bobbi's girl too, from the Singapore studio. (Thank GOD they opened a studio here!) I'm not very advanced yet but I love every minute of it here. And yes, everything that Scarletthoney said is spot-on!

I also think what helps is that we all get to invite our friends and family to come watch us perform during our end-of-term graduation performance every single term. We basically perform the routine we've spent 8 weeks learning, and it's always super super supportive and fun. So that also helps cultivate the awareness of having an actual live audience.

Lol about magical pink powder.. hey if they sold any, I'd def drink it!! 😉

• minicoopergrl

May 11, 2012 at 6:15 am

For me, its not just the Bobbi's girls I love – I love all the Aussie dancers!  OMG, they are all so talented and freaking gorgeous!!!  I love how they put on a show from start to finnish! Just watching the Ms Pole Dance Austrailia promo vids make me want to pack up and move there for a year.  My own Eat, Pray, Pole journey!!!

• dustbunny

May 11, 2012 at 10:53 am

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE bobbie's girls!!!  Besides being gorgeous on and off the pole, who can resist that sexy accent!  The hubby and I have talked occasionally about moving to New Zealand, and if it ever happens I will definitely be taking lessons over there.  🙂

• Fianna

May 12, 2012 at 1:21 pm

Love their unique sexy style! I was so lucky to have a private session with Cleo when she visiting Hong Kong, only only learnt some new flexy tricks but some sexy floorwork!!!! I even applied the working holiday visa to Australia just to have classes at Bobbi's, hopefully I can find my own style combine with their little sexy secret  =)

• ORGANIC ANGEL

May 12, 2012 at 2:18 pm

I think the biggest thing w/ Bobbi's studio is that she allows for each student to exude their inner self. A lot of studios in the US just haven't mastered that art.  Some still try to be too conservative, while Bobbi really lets those girls let their hair down:) Love bobbi's studios!

• ORGANIC ANGEL

May 12, 2012 at 2:21 pm

Maybe it isn't fair to say "a lot of studios"-but just rather wanted emphasis that bobbi's style isn't as conservative as what we have here in the states.

• Hazi411

May 12, 2012 at 8:03 pm

I am learning pole at Bobbi's.  Here are what I think are the reasons for the "Bobbi style":

Most of the instructors seem to have some kind of dance/performance background

You learn combinations of moves

The studios have mirrors on most of the walls, and the instructors tell you to check yourself out in them;-)

There is emphasis on pointing your toes, and landing gently on your feet – especially as all the levels except beginners are taught in heels – although heels are optional. Personally I find I can't yet invert wearing heels because of course it makes your feet heavier 😉

Probably the fact that you learn a routine in every level of classes at Bobbi's also helps (and week 8, the last week of term, you are encouraged to dress up, and invite friends and family to come and watch.

In summary, I think probably it's the emphasis on the "dance" aspect and joining combinations together that makes the difference.  The dances incorporate head rolls, "stripper push ups" and sexy moves in between the combos.

There is a "Bobbi TV" channel on you-tube.

• Hazi411

May 12, 2012 at 8:10 pm

Oh, one other thing I forgot to say – dustbunny – the Australian accent isn't the same as the New Zealand one ;-))  Hope you don't mind me saying that.

• Sassafrassle

May 12, 2012 at 10:46 pm

To add to the NZ vs Australia point – "commuting" to Australia from NZ is not actually that easy! At least 3 hours in  a plane plus normally quite expensive, esp if you're earning in NZ dollars. Moving to Aussie's probably a better plan and visiting NZ sometimes – that's what a lot of Kiwis do:)

• LillyBilly

May 13, 2012 at 12:45 am

Thanks Hazi411 🙂

• Black Orchid

May 21, 2012 at 6:00 pm

I had a blast taking classes at Bobbi's in Singapore and then just yesterday taking class with Cleo TheHurricane! I do swear there is something to there being some kind of magical glittery pink powder they must drink…LOL. Everything folks have identified is what makes their style unique. BPS dancers are not afraid to rock their heels, sexy floorwork and fast, in-your-face pop/rock music. I don't know if they do many classes on static either…all the poles in the Singapore studio were the permanently spinning brass 38s…I think I shrieked through my first class there because I'd never inverted on spin before let alone try flatine, CAR etc! But it was super-fun.

The class set-up encourages students to face their fears about performance and sexiness and the structure of the terms and mini-terms means that students stay committed to learning combos, choreographies etc. They are also really good at finding continuing performance opportunities for their students that arent necessarily about competition.

The studio that feels the most like Bobbi's here might be Vertical Joes in Atlanta ( i'm sure there are others…I just dont know of them)…its about developing a unique style that still allows for individuality and gets your students excited about being identified as a poler with your studio. Bobbi's really has it figured out! I will definitely go back to their studio in Singapore when I visit again and going to their Sydney studio is going on the bucket list.

• mikkixx

May 22, 2012 at 1:42 am

I'm from Bobbi's (Sydney) too, and I love it! Basically everyone's said it already – lots of focus on technique and floorwork (my technique is terrible though, damn you lack of dance background! 🙁 ). In my first class, we were taught how to do a head roll, how to roll over on the ground, and how to get back onto your feet from the ground. You get reminded constantly to point your toes. It really makes all the difference!

On the flip side, Bobbi's really concentrates on the "pretty" moves – butterfly, spins, stags – and in that sense it's a bit limiting. There's also a general philosophy of barefoot or flexed feet being anathema – they won't teach Russian splits, or the no-handed star, since you can't do them with shoes unless you're Chelle Hafner. If you can't get into and out of a move gracefully in shoes without flexing your feet, it won't be taught. I've only met a handful of girls who take classes there without shoes. Otoh, dancing in shoes all the time is probably the best way to get you used to them.

Also, since there's so much more emphasis on dance, there's less time to actually learn moves, so students at other studios probably learn harder tricks and get stronger faster than at Bobbi's – for example, the very earliest you'd learn an inversion would be after 2 months, and an Aysha would be after 8 months of pole. There are pros to this in terms of safety and strength-building, but if you're a trickster type, you'd get bored.

There actually isn't much emphasis on individuality until you get to higher levels, although all teachers are different. Basically, there's a "right" and a "wrong" way of doing things at Bobbi's, luckily Bobbi's "right" way is really aesthetically pleasing! Unfortunately, it does feel restrictive at times – for example, the number of Bobbi's students I've heard complaining about Carlie Hunter not pointing her toes in her "dancing grandma" performance. I mean, it was clearly an artistic choice, since in every other competition she's proven herself more than capable of pointing her toes. But to each their own.

I don't mean to sound negative, and I'm not, since as I said before, I freaking love it at Bobbi's, and I really couldn't add much more to the good things that have already been said. But I felt the need to balance out this discussion 🙂

• LillyBilly

May 22, 2012 at 1:55 am

Thanks, mikkinxx!

Obviously, there are always things that doesn't suit everyone with every method. It's good to hear the other side of things too, though.

Page 2 of 3