StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Costume advice

• Costume advice

Posted by Sassafrassle on October 23, 2011 at 12:31 am

Hey Veeners! I'm hoping that someone round here might be able to help me out – I'm essentially decorating my own costume for a show in a few weeks. I'm taking a basic black crop top and black shorts and adding some trim to make them sparkly and lovely, and I'll also be wearing a mask that my boyf is in charge of decorating for me;p

Anyway, the trim is quite wide and not stretchy at all so I'm wondering about the best way to fasten it to the top so that I can get the top and shorts on and off. I pinned everything today so have a good idea of where it's all going, and I think the shorts will be okay with a few fastening stitches at either hip and maybe a couple in the front then maybe sticking domes at the back for either end of the trim to fasten (meaning that essentially the back section can hang loose to get on and off). I'm really not sure about the top though 'cos it won't be in one piece like the shorts but will essentially all join up, and also the arrangement is a bit more complicated. So, I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas/experience in the best way to combine non-stretchy trim with stretchy clothing pieces for costumes and can offer me advice? I think it will probably need to be some combination of loose fastening stitches and domes but I'm not sure the best configuration so it sits properly:/

This pic is the rough pinning of how I'm thinking of it going…(hopefully the link works)

http://s84.photobucket.com/albums/k36/Sassafrassle/?action=view&current=terrifiedpolecostume2.jpg

jade s replied 12 years, 7 months ago 4 Members · 7 Replies
  • 7 Replies
  • Cherished

October 23, 2011 at 2:22 am

I'd probably just hand stitch the trim in place since it's already pinned and tried on and you've seen that it all fits and doesn't bunch up anywhere it's not supposed to. If I was feeling lazy and it was a piece I wouldn't wear too often I'd just fabric glue it onto the clothes to save time and put a few stitches here and there for more security.

Also I'd have someone help me do it while I was wearing it to avoid misplacing anything.

• Sassafrassle

October 23, 2011 at 2:34 am

I was planning to handstitch but it's more about how I deal with having the leeway for getting the pieces on and off again as the fabric will need to stretch to get it on before it settles back once it's actually on…

• Cherished

October 23, 2011 at 3:40 am

Oh I see. Well maybe I still don't  lol but just in case: What about cutting the trim in sections so that it can kind of stretch with the fabric because of the divisions.

• Madfelice

October 24, 2011 at 2:26 am

Don’t glue it, the glue will go hard and won’t stretch with the fabric and things will fall off very quickly and very easily…

• jade s

October 24, 2011 at 10:49 pm

Do you plan to only use the shorts for dancing? I took a pair of black booty shorts and tacked pieces of black Velcro on it that way I can change the trim out whenever I want.

• jade s

October 24, 2011 at 10:53 pm

For the top fastening to the shorts (not sure if I’m understanding exactly what you’re trying to do), can you sew some elastic to the ends and then fasten them however you were originally planning on? That way it will still have some give when you move and are taking the pieces on and off.

• jade s

October 24, 2011 at 11:15 pm

Sassafrassle, sorry I just saw the pic (couldn’t see it on my iPad). I would try tacking elastic at the “joints” so it will stretch enough to get the pieces on and off and still have some give while you’re dancing. If you’re worried about the elastic showing, just make the trim a bit longer on one end so that it covers.