StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Core Exercises

• Core Exercises

Posted by Janey111 on August 18, 2009 at 7:13 pm

Hi,
    I have been poling for about 18 months now but we rarely do any core exercises as part of our dance class which I attend twice a week.
    I can go upside down but only by kicking up and from some of the posts on here I believe this is the wrong way to do an invert. I cannot however do the helicopter as i dont seem to have the core strength and before poling I have never done any form of exercise in my life (apart from at the very begininng of my poling I hired a personal trainer for 3 months to help with my arm strength).
    What can I do to help strenthen my core?? I have seen the video which one of the other girls made for sissybuns for the abs workout but im finding the one were you lie on the floor and pull up so your feet are pointing to the ceiling, really hard as it seems to be hurting my back as my back is arched slightly and it doesnt lie flat on the floor. So I think I am straining my back trying to do this.
    I can however do the practise for the open v workout but this only works the bottom two abs doesnt it?
    I am really bugged as all of the other girls in class have a lot more core strength than me but from talking to them they have been gym goers all their lives so i guess its expected.
    I really want to do something to try and catch up a little ??
    Any suggestions would be really appreciated.
    thanks
    Janey

Janey111 replied 14 years, 11 months ago 4 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • RoxyPink

August 18, 2009 at 7:17 pm

Hey Janey…not sure why you’d be straining your back on the shoulder stands…my back arches too (dosen’t lie flat on the floor)…if it hurts..don’t do it!! but you could also do these modified where you just lift your legs off of the floor maybe two ft…or flutter kicks!

An inverted V will use your whole core..not just the lower abs…especially when you are tipping back…that is total core…but core also includes your back!

I hope you find something that works for you!

Good luck! https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_e_biggrin.gif

• PoleDanceABCs

August 18, 2009 at 7:25 pm

Do your teachers at least suggest core workouts to do at home or gym? https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_scratch.gif

The way I have been preparing for the Helicopter is the way Jamilla teaches in her Art of Pole DVD. What you want to do is go up to the pole, take the inside arm and "wrap" it around in a buddy hold with the hand just below head level, and the second arm is just above the inside arm/hand. Then without jumping or kicking lift your legs to your chest and slowly lower them back to the floor. Do several reps of that and it will get to your core.
    Once you get stronger in a few weeks (or whenever) then you can start to lift the legs higher or straight out. And after that you can start to lift the legs above your head. Don’t worry about the spin until you have perfected going up and down in a controlled manner.

And actually that is the key to most pole moves, no? To not kick into a move or spin into it but use your muscles to get you up or around.

• Janey111

August 18, 2009 at 7:36 pm

Hi guys,
    thanks for the tips I deffo try those.
    The teachers dont actually give you any idea of how to strengthen the core at home or at the gym.
    They got us to pull our knees to our chest to prepare for it but we dont do it that often in class which is why I dont think my core is that strong.
    I have my own pole at home so I could do these exercises there.
    Plus it looks so much better pulling your body over your head in a controlled manner rather than jumping. Everyone else in my class jumps into it. I can do it this way very briefly but cant keep in the position any longer than 2 seconds and then when I go to do it again I find my energy is spent!!
    thanks for your posts
    Janey

• Jonnie

August 23, 2009 at 8:35 pm

Hi, Iv no experience training on poles…. yet.
    But i trained shotokan karate for quite a while.
    after doing sets of sit ups legs raised off the floor, and resting on a chair. If you assume a press up position but with your hands held under your nose, and tense your stomach muscles, hold it like that trying to keep as close to the floor as possible you work your core muscles and it should begin to really burn. And i mean when you get it right it hurts. it pushes out the abdominals by working on the core that lie behind them.

It worked really well for me. https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_salut.gif

• Janey111

August 24, 2009 at 8:49 pm