StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Conditioning or Strength Training for Aysha.

• Conditioning or Strength Training for Aysha.

Posted by Polecat88 on December 1, 2011 at 3:29 pm

I'm really struggling to get the ayesha, I can -just about- get there in forearm grip but I want to get my elbow grip first. I feel like I'm just not quite strong enough in some part of my upper body to hold it.

Does anyone know of any exercises I can do to help build up to it?

Sair replied 12 years, 5 months ago 10 Members · 14 Replies
  • 14 Replies
  • amy

December 1, 2011 at 3:39 pm

one-handed caterpillars. for sure.

• Veena

Administrator
    December 1, 2011 at 4:32 pm
  • tarah

December 1, 2011 at 11:44 pm

hi polecat, i've been struggling with this for months!  check out amy's instructional if you haven't already, there are some great tips in it.  there was a link in a previous thread, or maybe amy can post it for you again.  good luck!!  🙂

• trickivix

December 2, 2011 at 2:19 am

I used Amy’s tutorial as well. Try googling ‘aerial Amy elbow grip aysha’. Good luck 🙂

• Polecat88

December 2, 2011 at 2:36 am

Hi beauties,

Yeah I've read Amy's but I might go back to it again. I think the cold damp weather isnt helping either. Thank you for the ideas! xx

• PaulettePoles

December 2, 2011 at 4:36 am

I was too struggling w this, after I read Amy's tutorial I really got it! I was balancing my weight in the worng position which wasnt allowing my body to get away from the pole- after her tutorial it was so easy I felt stupid for doing it the wrong way for so long! It would have never worked w my body weight in the wrong position- which I was doing becuase I was scared to commit! Read it again and get a spotter and have them read her tips as you are doing it so you can make corrections. It worked for me!

• JBStarryEyedGirl

December 5, 2011 at 5:31 pm

Polecat, 

I'm right there in the struggle with you! I have been working on my handstands, and especially on one handed handstands (with one hand on the pole too) in split grip, forearm and elbow grip positions. Also, I agree with being able to do a good caterpillar and keeping your hips square. I typically go into a butterfly move and then slowly try to take my legs off the pole. I feel like I'm sooo close lol! Practice makes perfect, so good luck!

• PolefitFanatic

December 6, 2011 at 2:12 am

Polecat why don't you work on your forearm grip if thats easier and nail it that way before trying elbow grip? Most of the girls I know use either but not both. Elbow grip is easiest for me but for a lot of other girls in my class forearm grip is the only grip they use, including the instructor who taught me the ayesha. And I agree it is a matter of balance, definitely, so your weight is split between your hands. A spotter will help you feel confident about moving away from the pole which will make your balance easier. (Says the girl who is now struggling to do the same thing with a split grip :-\ ) Good Luck!

• Polecat88

December 6, 2011 at 2:27 am

Thank you for the advice, there are some brilliant ideas on this thread!

StarryEyedGirl: that sounds like a really good way to condition for it, I do think I have slight issues with my arm position I think I'm too 'press-up' like and not enough 'handstand' like. So I will definately be trying that.

PolefitFanatic: I read lots of threads on the forum and the general concencus was that it's better to get elbow grip first, otherwise it becomes difficult/unattractive to perform compared with forearm grip. So I thought I'd take on the challenge.

Thank you, I'm really excited to try these out. x 

• vickiezoo

December 6, 2011 at 11:07 am

I can Forearm grip Aysha, but am working on Split Grip and Twisted Grip, my balance is off, I am strong enough to hold it but still keep falling but at least now it ios controlled falling after a 3 second hols. But with the cold weather I am not practising that much at the moment.

• amy

December 6, 2011 at 12:36 pm

Vickie– the forearm grip ayesha is more about balance and the split/twisted/elbow grips are all about engagement. you can't maintain the arched back that you hold for a forearm grip ayesha in any other position, because you aren't engaging through your core when you hold it! for all other ayeshas it's all about a push-pull with your chest far away from the pole. 

the blog entry that the ladies are referring to is here: http://aerialamy.com/blog/2011/07/12/tuesday-tips-elbow-grip-ayesha/

(webbie/veena please let me know if it's not okay to post or feel free to delete!)

• Veena

Administrator
    December 6, 2011 at 12:44 pm

Of course you can post a link Amy!

Amy is right, this is why there are 2 separed lessons…. one for the Aysha Forearm https://www.studioveena.com/lessons/view/4d10f457-834c-45b0-8448-3b550ac37250 and one for Aysha Elbow https://www.studioveena.com/lessons/view/4d136614-c770-45fc-aa64-24320ac37250

• Veena

Administrator
    December 6, 2011 at 12:46 pm

Separate** Missed a few letters there!!! LOL

• Sair

December 6, 2011 at 4:06 pm

I'm with you Polecat!

I have my Split grip Aysha on the go, but the Elbow grip kills me! Argh!!!