StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Competition makeup??

• onepinkprincess

September 13, 2010 at 12:46 pm

I haven’t done any competitions but when I did a show case we went heavy on the eye make up with false lashes etc. Hope the competition goes well. I’m sure you’ll nail the trick you are worried about.

Cxxx

• Mary Ellyn

September 13, 2010 at 1:04 pm

I like Make UP Forever by Dani Ganz. You can get it at Sephora stores if you have one near you. It holds up well under bright lights and sweat.

• minicoopergrl

September 13, 2010 at 2:02 pm

Im a former MK consultant. Ive done competition make up pretty much my whole life. You want much more on than you normally do for day time. I do lots of bold/dark eyes, false lashes, lots of mascara, bold lips. I always wear a foundation – either liquid or powder. I always dust w/powder when im done to set my look.

• munequita05

September 13, 2010 at 5:34 pm

in addition to being addicted to pole..im addicted to makeup https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_e_smile.gif and I totally second the makeup for ever recommendation, I like the matte velvet plus foundation. I also highly recommend Smashbox makeup and primer since it is amazing for flash photography and videos so that you don’t look washed out. And setting spray is good so that the makeup stays on all day no matter what https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_e_smile.gif hope this helps!

• Charley

September 13, 2010 at 5:44 pm

Is the make up forever stuff expensive?

• munequita05

September 13, 2010 at 6:54 pm

Yes! thats what sucks..lol makeup for ever is pretty pricey for makeup. Other brands like MAC are less expensive but not everyones skin type reacts the same to makeup so I know a lot of people that swear by MAC, but I have pretty sensitive skin and it breaks me out. Makeup for ever is pretty heavy duty stuff though so a little bit goes a long way. My favorite drug store brand is Loreal…my brother in law is a makeup artist and he told me Loreal and Lancome are the exact same products in different packaging https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_e_wink.gif

• anngiern

September 14, 2010 at 4:17 am

here is a you tube video on stage make-up from expert village.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zS05UaecRDM

If you want to look at others just search "stage makeup" and there are tons of tutorials. just practice "the look" that you are going for these next few days so that way on friday you will already know how you want it. when you practice and you finish take a picture so you can look at it.

you can use cheaper makeup if you use a good eye primer…eye primer is a must so the colors pop correctly.

coastal scents has a great eye pallete for only $20. wont get it in time for this friday but for future reference https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_e_smile.gif it works well with a good primer.

hope that helps https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_e_smile.gif

• glitterhips

September 14, 2010 at 4:09 pm

I am actually a licensed makeup artist and everyone has given good tips so far, Ben Nye makeup is also the same quality as Makeup Forever and cheaper but it is harder to purchase over the counter, you would most likely have to order it online ahead of time, but the pigments in their eyeshadows are awesome and stay put forever without an eyeshadow primer. You can probably get away with using stuff you already have if you just apply it heavier and use a foundation and eyeshadow primer underneath, they are expensive but definitely worth the investment, it makes a huge difference in the way the makeup goes on and stays. My two favorites are Smashbox photo finish foundation primer and Urban Decay primer potion. Benefit also makes a product called Shelaq, it will cost you about $30 for a little bottle but it goes a long way and it is a makeup sealer that I use on all the brides I do, it locks everything into place for a long long time, it works especially well over eyeliner since liner seems like the first thing to go when you start sweating. They also make makeup sealer sprays, I’m currently using the Makeup Forever sealer spray but MAC makes one that is slightly cheaper however if you have sensitive skin that might not be a good way to go for you. Let me know if you have any other questions https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_e_smile.gif

• Mindy4pole

September 15, 2010 at 3:50 am

Thanks guys!!! I really appreciate it! I’ve done some dabbling with makeup, but I just don’t quite "get" how to transition from regular makeup to stage makeup. I’ve used the chafing gel from Monistat as a primer, and it works really well. I don’t know how it will stand up to sweat, though. Angie — I have the neutrals set from Coastal Scents, and I really like it. Which one do you have?

Any tips on applying false lashes? I used to wear them a fair amount, and I remember putting them on in the car more than once, but now I can’t seem to get it to work at all. I have a cheap set, so maybe it’s just bad glue?

Thanks so much!
    Mindy

• glitterhips

September 15, 2010 at 4:54 am

I find the individual lashes actually easier to apply and more comfortable to wear than the strip ones but that’s just me. To apply the individual ones you can just pick up each clump with a pair of tweezers, dip the little round end in glue, let the glue dry for 3-4 seconds so it becomes tacky, and bury the rounded part of the eyelash clump in your lash line. It sounds harder than it is and you can do individual lashes just on the outer corners if you just want a little extra oomph or you can do them all the way across and and more at the corners and keep adding more until you get the desired amount of volume, if you build up a few rows of them across your lash line it looks really awesome. Strip lashes first need to be cut to match the length of your eyelid, then apply the glue all the way across the strip and make sure to put a little extra glue in the corners. Let it get tacky for a few seconds and then you have to bury the strip of the lash inside that little ridge between your eyelid and eyelashes, this way the band is mostly hidden. Be sure to check that the edges are secure as these tend to pop off easily if there isn’t enough glue. You can use an orangewood stick to help stick them to the corners since it’s kind of hard to get your fingers in there. Always buy the clear eyelash glue, the colored ones sometimes dry gloppy and then you have big black splotches, the clear glue is much less noticeable. It’s best to do mascara at the end so it can help cover up any messy glue splotches. And make sure to throw the glue in your purse to touch up and corners that might pop out.

If your lashes don’t work try letting it get tacky before you put on the lashes, if not then the glue might just be defective/expired…I use the $5 eyelash and glue sets from the drugstore on my clients and no one has ever complained and they work really well. Sephora has some really awesome sparkly strip lashes I’ve worn before and loved. Good luck https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_e_biggrin.gif

• anngiern

September 15, 2010 at 5:29 am

Angie — I have the neutrals set from Coastal Scents, and I really like it. Which one do you have?

Mindy
    i have the 88 piece multi color; here is the link:
    http://www.coastalscents.com/cfwebstore/index.cfm/product/1677_122/88-piece-makeup-palette.cfm

its so great to travel with..and i love to use all types of color on my eyes. but i tried it once without primer ( i left it at home by accident) and it really was not the best outcome. but with the primer it is good for when you need something quick and when you want to experiment. this palette was all the rage on youtube with makeup artists..LOL…which is how i found it.
    but i have to say i really do love MAC…i love how the girls make themselves up at the store and show you the possibilities of what makeup can do. i love how they change the looks based upon the season and have them featured on their website. so i use the coastal scents and predominantly MAC products and some smashbox.

also applying your makeup with brushes makes a difference as well. gives a more even application. its always good to invest in a good set of brushes…or you can buy one at a time and build your collection.

i will be there on friday so if you need help just ask!!! i will be more than happy to help you!

• Charley

September 15, 2010 at 3:48 pm

I’m a poor pole instructor and an over the counter make up buyer….are there over the counter brands that are highly recommended besides the Loreal HIP stuff?

• Mary Ellyn

September 16, 2010 at 4:30 am

LOL…Charley I read that and thought " you’re a GREAT pole instructor"!! Then realized you meant "broke"! LOL

• Maria-Elena Kadala

September 16, 2010 at 5:21 am

I’ve never had to do stage make-up, but I wear my regular make-up when I referee, and it has to hold up to 90 minutes of running & sweating. Because I’m outdoors, the first thing that goes on is sunscreen! On top of that, I wear Jane Iredale mineral foundation; moisture sets it! I use the translucent colorless matte for games, for everyday I wear a color. I found that Maybelline eyeliner stays on really well, and the Maybelline waterproof mascara as well.
    I love Revlon’s new long-wear lipstick, not as drying as most long-wear, or get flaky. And since I’m working with a whistle, it’s well-tested https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_e_wink.gif
    Those are just basics, I don’t do anything exciting with the eyeshadow, very neutral, also, Jane Iredale (neutral palette) but it stays.

• Serzi

September 16, 2010 at 11:44 pm

ALRIGHT, lemme’ at this topic! First off, here are my credentials:

1. I have been in love w/ applying and wearing make-up since I was five years old.

2. Two years of experience as the head of my HS drama dept.’s make-up crew.

3. I’ve performed in a pole showcase and I know exactly what to anticipate now with sweat and lighting.

Regardless of skin type, you DO NOT WANT to use liquid foundation of any sort. What I recommend is a concealer stick such as Cover Girl Smoothers or Aziza’s Complexion Stick (it looks like a tube of flesh colored lipstick) as it can take the heat much better than liquid concealer. It will not run or weigh your face down and acts as a second skin. It’s also very similar to the stage make-up I used in high school that was spotlight heat and sweat proof, but this stuff is better because it’s not oily and it’s much lighter. Find it in a shade that is as close to your natural skin-tone as possible, use it fairly liberally on your imperfections and then blend it in. If it’s still a little rough at the edges, you can blend it more with a tiny TINY little dot of lotion. Just make sure you wash your hands well before the performance and don’t touch your face. If you’d like a second option for your base I recommend Maybelline Dream Matte Mousse, but I personally tend to not use it because it does not work as well with my skin type. Usually if one doesn’t work with your skin type, the other will.

It is good to keep in mind that you are probably going to be performing under bright lights and it will bleach your facial features if you do not wear more make-up than you usually do. Always remember it will not look the same as it does in front of your mirror at home as it will on stage because your audience is not going to be right up there w/ you. On-stage expressions are supposed to be exaggerated, so don’t be afraid to be a little bold with your look!

For blush, you are going to want a deep rouge because that lighting will make any pinky shimmer stuff disappear! Personally, I don’t even use blush. I apply a dot of red or rose-pink colored lipstick to the apple of each cheek and blend, blend, blend. If I have to, I will blend a little concealer into it just to get it looking as natural as I can. If my face feels too waxy, I use a dried make-removal towel to lightly blot the excess but I’ve got it down to a science now so I don’t usually have to do that anymore. I use Maybelline Dream Matte powder foundation to set it and to remove any shine I may have. I apply it with a brush as apposed to that horrid powder puff applicator that comes w/ it.

Next I apply Maybelline’s Unstoppable Eyeliner. (waterproof and smudge-proof of course) Use it above your lash line too as it will accentuate your lashes beautifully! I typically fill it in with a little bit of a regular pencil liner that will smudge if I want a smokier look, but on stage it looks great either or. You are going to want to do up your eyes fairly heavily, Wear deep gemstone colored eyeshadow, not the casual nude pink and corals that you may on an average day. I recommend Hard Candy’s Kal-Eye-Descope Baked Eyeshadow Duo for this; they have rich prismatic colors and I absolutely love them. Next, apply a waterproof mascara (my favorite is Wet & Wild H2O proof) and use an eyelash curler to pump up the volume.

Now…fake eyelashes. I use Salon Perfect made with 100% natural sterilized human hair, but I have used cheap Halloween wild lashes without any issue as well. All fake lashes include instructions, and every one that I’ve used says to apply all your eye make-up before applying the lashes. I kinda touch it all up after applying, but I stay away from putting any more powder on my lids because it will dry the glue out at the corners. What was said in a previous post is true, use more glue at the edges and be sure to take it with you in case you need to touch it up last minute.

Lips you are going to want to be brave with. Use a lip pencil at least 3X darker than the natural shade of your lips and fill them in generously, not just the edges. To smooth it out I use a little bit of chapstick or lipbalm and I smudge the liner with my finger to blot it. (tissue will leave a powdery residue on your lips that will dry them out) I use a small amount of lipstick one shade lighter than my liner and finish with either a transparent or glittery gloss. More than likely, you will need to touch up later in the evening to stay shimmery and to avoid the "feathering"-effect, but the liner will keep your color from fading and it will be an easy fix.

And your new stage-face is complete! It will probably take some trial and error to figure out exactly what you feel works best with your body-chemistry, skin-tone and type but once you do I guarantee you will be stunning!

Btw all these products I mentioned are under $10 but in my experience they work just as well or better than the expensive crap out there. Hope this was helpful, have a great time with your performance!

? ~*Serzi

Page 1 of 2