StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Comming out about pole dance fitness

• Maureen marleygirl

March 12, 2013 at 9:03 pm

EDUCATE! ! Maybe show the Starfish teaser spoken about in an earlier blog. Who couldn’t admire and respect the raw athleticism and elegance! what we do is still a stigma but only because because of ignorance

• ImonlyMe

March 13, 2013 at 2:47 am

Although many people judge it is because they have no direction as to the good of pole dancing b/c the pole had already had negativity from the past people cant get over that and acknowledged that it is a well being good cause of fitness.And I am a women of many jobs so Autumn I understand but I am very up front about what I do an so we get that out. Of the way very quickly im in the light of church children mentoring and several different dance backgrounds so I always let people know each one of my jobs and hobbys are separate unless states other wise….

• ImonlyMe

March 13, 2013 at 2:52 am

And juicy j dont get me wrong I love church surrounding but thats why the churches are so broken now worried about the wrong things of other people and not criticising there own pep in the church are not perfect hun everyone
    lives a life. …

• ImonlyMe

March 13, 2013 at 2:57 am

And juicy j dont get me wrong I love church surrounding but thats why the churches are so broken now worried about the wrong things of other people and not criticising there own pep in the church are not perfect hun everyone
    lives a life. …

• maurer rose

March 15, 2013 at 7:46 pm

Hey! I am a Christian too, and I am touched by the others who have posted on here.

So far I've been on the fence about sharing. I know there are some people who will accept it and some who won't (both in and outside of religious communities), but it's hard to guess in advance. You can't go back to undo damage that's been done once you let the cat out of the bag! I'm still trying to work up the nerve to ask another twenty-something at church why she has "Pole!" in word magnets on the side of her fridge! https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_e_smile.gif

I don't think my church family would be more judgmental than anyone else. I've already experienced negative comments by non-Christians and Christians alike. The stigma is so widespread.

I don't feel like I'm being deceptive by not sharing this part of my life with others, including my church family. It's just easier not to offend people by keeping it under wraps. But sometimes I do feel sad because I wish I could share the joy of the confidence, strength and flexibility I have gained through my hard work at pole over the past few years. I want to further the awareness of pole as an athletic art that combines elements of aerial dance, gymnastics, contortion and even ballet. (Don't get me wrong, I like the exotic dance elements too. But I'm very firm on the point that pole can be practiced as a sport.)

• monica kay

March 16, 2013 at 2:19 am

i am about to come out of the pole closet!  maybe next week 🙂 but not to my family… just my friends.  

• FlyingFireBird

March 17, 2013 at 2:09 pm

Let us know how your comming out goes. A bit of advice, if you have a smart phone, keep a video of one of your favorite, least provocative performaces bookmarked on your phone. My favorite is Natasha Wang's on the View because people are more likely to believe it is innocent if it is on the view. If you have it on hand you can show people that pole dance is different than stripping (not that there is necessarily anything wrong with stripping).

Good luck!

• ljsch59790

March 18, 2013 at 2:43 am

I hate the negativity and ‘sluttiness’ that people associate with pole. It really does hurt when it’s about something youre so passionate about and want to tell the world about. All polers know where you are coming from and can definitely relate!

• chemgoddess1

March 18, 2013 at 9:36 am

Here are a few threads that may be worthwhile reading:

https://www.studioveena.com/forums/view/3162

https://www.studioveena.com/forums/view/3436

https://www.studioveena.com/forums/view/479

It comes down to understanding that you cannot talk about all aspects of your life in all situations.  It is not a matter of you being you, it is a matter of people don't need to know.  There are numerous parts of my life that I do not broadcast here or on FB.  And I certainly do not broadcast at work about my life outside of work…..I learned that lesson a long time ago.

• pegasusaerialfitness

March 18, 2013 at 10:56 am

I think its normal to have different aspects of life you might keep more private. You could call it Aerial Fitness if you want to be discreet. 

• FlyingFireBird

March 18, 2013 at 10:59 am

I agree ChemGoddess with the idea of not broadcasting, but there is a difference between not broadcasting and hiding pole fitness. I don't go out of my way to talk about pole fitness with certain members of my family, but if it comes up or came up I would (If they asked me where I got a bruise from, I wouldn't lie about it – I would explain my sport). I feel like this is the "not broadcasting part." At work I hide pole fitness from my co-workers. If I'm asked about a bruise – I lie (my coworkers think I do Aerial Silks/Trapeeze and Kickboxing) or, more often, if I have a bruise I do my best to hide it. The lines between broadcasting and hiding can be blurred, but coming out can a form of simply not hiding it.

• littlelindsay

March 18, 2013 at 11:15 am

I refuse to act ashamed about something I love. I think I am lucky that I live in a city where pole is so popular though, and pretty much everyone I know knows someone else who does it.

I work at a gymnastics club though, so everyone there loves it too.

I'm sorry to everyone who has had negative experiences, I can't really relate but I feel bad that you've had to deal with close minded people. Keep your head up!! Things will get easier as it becomes more mainstream.

• Mechie

March 20, 2013 at 12:00 pm

I recently changed job and my current boss is a conservative, judgmental,  racist old hag.  If she or any of my coworkers find out that I pole on the side, I might put my job on the line.

I'm also getting married in a few months, my fiance and I have a wed-site going on…I originally was going to post some of my pole pics on the website, because it's part of me…however, now I have to think twice.  (I wear sports bra and bad kitty shorts in all of those pictures…)

I feel really sad that I have to hide it because with my  previous boss, he thinks it is cool that I can hold my own body weight while I'm inverted…And he also know I'm very professional when it comes to my job so that was never an issue…but now. =(

Yeah, I agree with Chemmie that part of us don't need to be broadcasted…but I'm at the point where I need to lie on my whereabouts and makeup stories pretty frequently. (My current boss is VERY nosy and constantly checking on me…yes, even on personal things….)

The FUNNY part?? I'd been doing Bible study with Jehovah Witnesses for over a year…and they said there's nothing wrong with pole fitness, especially when I'm doing it in a studio and the comfort of my own home.  (Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against strippers, people have free-will to do whatever they want and it is not up to me to judge…) 

• portableninja

March 20, 2013 at 12:22 pm

I'm out to some people, but not others. Generally, anyone under 30 knows that I pole, and most of them think it's cool. It's the older generation I'm more coy about.

I belong to a few different maligned subcultures, the pole community being one of them. All of my interests are the sorts of things that you don't generally discuss with grandma or the boss, even if there's absolutely nothing harmful or bad about any of them. It's easier just to keep the conversation about the weather and what cookies I'm baking and not bring up the pole trick I'm working on or the unusual show I went to or how I'm spending my time on the weekends. I don't want to deal with the questions, or have my hobbies be the only thing anyone ever talks about when they think of me. I don't want to be judged solely on being the "freak" in the family instead of just being a person with interests that skew outside of the norm.

Most people already know I do yoga, so if I attend a pole workshop, I just say it's a yoga workshop. Sometimes I feel like I'm living a lie. The only person who knows everything about me, and truly accepts me on every level, is my husband. The pressures of having to keep pole under wraps, and make up excuses about what I'm doing with my time, is draining. I'm tempted to just have a "coming out" day. I'm waiting until I have a really impressive trick under my belt so I can post a photo of it on Facebook. Like… "surprise!"

• prettypuff1

March 20, 2013 at 12:27 pm

I have already said Surprise on Fb. I have kind of accpeted that all of things that make up who am  are not for everyone.. It's a shame I can't set up the pole when i visit my mom's house, but I know thats who she is( very conservative).

Page 2 of 4