StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Clueless about Recording

• Clueless about Recording

Posted by JoleneBell on December 17, 2015 at 4:48 pm

As my skills progress, I feel the need to have better video recording equipment. My old laptop’s recording quality is less than ideal, and I like the quality on my Android, but the screen isn’t large enough to see myself as I dance. I’ve been doubling my laptop as both a recorder and “mirror” of sorts.

My question is this: What is the best (or at least one of the best) methods to record oneself? Should I buy a video camera and tripod?

JoleneBell replied 8 years, 5 months ago 7 Members · 14 Replies
  • 14 Replies
  • bigkitty1

December 18, 2015 at 2:08 am

I bought a very small light wt tripod for my phone. It works fine and was very cheap. I set in on my coffee table. It’s fine for now

• bigkitty1

December 18, 2015 at 2:09 am

I bought the little tripod on e bay

• 33barbwire

December 18, 2015 at 5:11 pm

I cut a slot in the bottom of a solo cup wide enough for my phone. Best cheap phone tripod ever! Until my friend showed me a trick with a binder clip that I possibly like even better. If you have no idea what I’m talking about, hang tight, I’ll post pics later today.

• KittySkittles

December 18, 2015 at 7:29 pm

I have a tripod I got on Amazon for my iPhone. It has a clasp that goes around your phone. I think it was like $12 . I used to prop my phone up on plyo boxes and my shoe boxes. Hee hee

• dustbunny

December 18, 2015 at 11:18 pm

I just set my phone on the floor leaning up against anything I can find. I have used a jar candle, kitchen chair, wall, free weights…literally whatever I can find. ☺

• Jenn1989

December 19, 2015 at 12:46 am

I actually have a blender that I sit upside down because there’s a groove at the bottom that fits my phone perfectly and holds it in place 😆

• bigkitty1

December 19, 2015 at 1:42 am

That’s funny Jenn! What kind of editing app do you use for your videos?

• JoleneBell

December 19, 2015 at 3:33 am

Thanks so much guys for the rad ideas! I was propping my phone on shoeboxes and stuff too! Vicious, you’re awesome for recording yourself sideways and posting anyway! That’s what I’d do, too. I didn’t realize I could find a PHONE tripod! Yay! I’ll start looking for one. Now to fix the limited storage on my phone. I think I’m going to have to get rid of a crap load of photos.

• Jenn1989

December 19, 2015 at 4:29 am

Bigkitty I use Wondershare video editor 😊

• I polekat I

December 20, 2015 at 9:20 pm

I use windows movie maker to edit my videos, and jolene you can buy memory cards cheaply on ebay- I use a 32gb and that gives me over 4hrs of video on my go pro (you’d probably get more on a phone, the go pro files are pretty big) =]

• 33barbwire

December 22, 2015 at 5:30 am

Y’all I am so sorry! I totally forgot to come back and add those pictures I said I would…

I mentioned a cup as a tripod, and a binder clip. Here are some pictures that I hope convey the ideas better than the descriptions I had given. I just pulled both of these off google.