StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Clean Eating anyone????

• Clean Eating anyone????

Posted by RoxyPink on January 5, 2010 at 7:15 pm

okay so I have recently ventured into the realm of clean eating. I’ve always been a pretty healthy eater and being mindful about what was going into my food and my body. Clean eating is so much more than that! Anywho, I feel great since I’ve started, I’m never hungry and I’m so excited to try new foods…..but here is the problem!! Even with all the clean eating mags and recipe books (Tosca Reno) I have YET to find something that is quick and kid friendly (I’m waiting on her kids and family cookbook in the mail *taps foot*)…So are there any clean eaters out there??? know of any great recipes? have any tips?? And BTW I am a vegetarian so I live off of beans, quinoa etc…but I have yet to find a piece of tofu that I like…maybe I just don’t know how to cook it! So any tips on that would be great too!! https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_e_biggrin.gif

Happy Clean eating…and Poling!!!

deetron replied 14 years, 6 months ago 8 Members · 25 Replies
  • 25 Replies
  • litlbit

January 5, 2010 at 7:20 pm

There are vegans on mybodysite.com that can help you with that. One thing that my kids loved was grilled cheese with apple slices on whole grain bread…you use a buttery spray to cook it…I can’t believe it’s not butter works great.

• RoxyPink

January 5, 2010 at 7:30 pm

I’ll give the grilled cheese a go…but I thought spreads and stuff were a big no-no?? I’m fairly new to the whole EC game so please correct me….I mean If I could have had my toast with some buttery spray vs nothing..then I would have done that!! LMAO!! https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_e_biggrin.gif

• litlbit

January 5, 2010 at 7:35 pm

It’s ok to have them in moderation…the only time they are not allowed is for competition diets.

• litlbit

January 5, 2010 at 7:41 pm

Oh you might want to try the protein pancakes…I love them! For 1 pancake.

1 whole egg, 3 egg whites, !/4 cup oats (prefereably old fashioned oats), 4 packets of splenda, 1/2 to 1 teaspoon cin. 1/2 teaspoon vanilla flavoring. Spray pan with cooking spray (preferably olive oil spray)…cook about two minutes on one side…then carefully flip and finish cooking. You can spray some buttery spray on it (just a few spritz of it) and top off with sugar free syrup…or you can use fresh fruit with a packet of splenda.

• xoxoHeatherxoxo

January 5, 2010 at 9:36 pm

I’m not sure exactly what qualifies as clean eats, I also have Tosca renos cook book and love to make soups in bulk. One that my kids like:

Protien Power Soup

one package chicken Breast (3 breasts) cover w/ water and boil 20 min.
    Remove chicken to cool, add to pot 2 or 3 cloves diced garlic one diced onion,
    2 or 3 each slicced zuccini and summer squash, 2 cans seasoned crushed tomatoes,
    saltand pepper.
    while this comes to a boil shred chicken and put back in pot w/ veggies. add about 2 cans chicken broth (fat free, low sodium) to cover all ingredients. let simmer for a while and right before you serve add a bag of baby spinach.

like I said I make a big pot on my day off so I can just heat up.

Also my kids love meat balls so I make them with turkey, egg whites and mashed sweet potatoes, instead of bread crumbs use oatmeal and season with soy sauce or bbq and salt and pepper. make in bulk and freeze them then you can take em out and heat them up in the microwave. pair them with brown rice and some veggies and your done.

I love this thread, can’t wait to try Lilbits pancakes!

• SissyBuns

January 5, 2010 at 11:35 pm

Yeah those protien pancakes look like a good idea. I’ve ventured into clean eating too but I was never able to take my kids on that journey with me LOL. I mean, they’ll eat what I give them for the most part but I can usually tell that they really don’t enjoy it LOL

• deetron

January 5, 2010 at 11:47 pm

Ooh lilbit! Your pancakes sound cool!! I recently tried to make a protein-heavy pancake and I devised this recipe of
    1 large egg, 1/4 cup oats, approx 1/2 cup greek yoghurt or cottage cheese (the latter in low-fat version is prob preferable for anyone monitoring the fat intake.. but personally I don’t) Your egg-white version is even more protein-packing, though!! Will try 2m!!

• litlbit

January 6, 2010 at 1:29 am

Here is a very kid friendly recipe for pancakes…the other ones some kids don’t like because of the texture.

2 whole eggs, 1 cup cottage cheese, 4-6 pks splenda, 1 cup uncooked oatmeal, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, 1/2-1 tsp. vanilla. Optional one banana. Mix all ingreds in blender in the order given, when smooth cook as you would regular pancakes…these are very high in protein and keep you full because of the complex carb. THEY ARE AWESOME!!

• chemgoddess1

January 6, 2010 at 2:17 am

I started eating clean last year after my husband ended up in the hospital. We have gotten away from it a bit but were just talking last night about breaking out the cookbook again and my magazines (I have Oxygen and Clean Eating subscriptions!!).

Panko breading is godsend. You can bake it and it still comes out crispy. Chicken breast cut up, dipped in mustard or home made honey mustard, dipped in panko and then baked…yum. I know she has a kids book out and just came out with a men’s cookbook.

I will say that while eating clean my pooch was the smallest it had been in YEARS.

• RoxyPink

January 6, 2010 at 1:40 pm

These pancake recipes looks great…I must try them this weekend! I’m trying to get my whole family eating more clean! I can’t wait for my new cook book to get here so I can try some of Tosca’s "kid friendly" fare!! https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_e_biggrin.gif

• SissyBuns

January 6, 2010 at 2:41 pm

These pancake recipes looks great…I must try them this weekend! I’m trying to get my whole family eating more clean! I can’t wait for my new cook book to get here so I can try some of Tosca’s "kid friendly" fare!! https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_e_biggrin.gif

That’s it. I’m ordering the kids book too.

Now that my mom is here to help me she’s having a hard time eating the way I do LOL. She tried to fry me some chicken the other night and I almost passed out when I heard the oil popping. She looked at me all confused like…what? LOL. I said I don’t fry foods Mom. She still fried herself some but baked mine. Now I’m on a mission to convert her to clean eating. She’s already lost 4pounds in the week that she’s been here!

• chemgoddess1

January 6, 2010 at 2:49 pm

Sissy….even in the clean eating book there is some fried stuff, but it is done in very small amounts of olive oil. Remember that we still all need fats in our diet.

• deetron

January 7, 2010 at 9:40 am

I should add about my recipe.. just in case anyone tries it:

1 whole egg, 1/4 cut oats, 1/2 cup greek yoghurt or cottage cheese, optional cinnamon, vanilla extract, splenda.

1/2 cup greek yog / cottage cheese is alot for this recipe, but that’s because I’m trying to pack the protein. The pancake is easier to fry and closer to a traditional pancake with more like 1/4 cup greek yog / cottage cheese. FYI! https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_e_biggrin.gif

PS: I dont add cinnamon / vanilla / splenda but eat mine with 3/4tsp honey, some sea salt and another fried egg on top. Isn’t that weird?!!

Happy clean eating ladies!!

• amcut

January 7, 2010 at 7:17 pm

Interesting. I did some googling, and I guess we eat fairly clean around here.

We do eat commercial cereals and designer proteins in my house, though.. and while I do often go without the cereal in favor of oatmeal .. I would NEVER give up my protein shakes! Oh, and I also use artificial sweeteners, though I prefer natural when it’s.. reasonable.

I’d suggest using ricotta instead of cottage cheese, yogurt, whichever in the pancakes too! just as a variant! delicious!

I have a buttload of frozen yogurt recipes if anyone has an ice cream maker. I’ve become sort of a flavor master with that. …(i also know how to make -very- unclean ice cream. https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_e_wink.gif )

• poledanceromance

January 9, 2010 at 7:49 pm

It makes me sad to see how many people don’t k ow how to handle tofu, because it’s a great addition to the diet even for meat eaters like myself. My personal favorite way to use extra firm tofu in a dinner is to cut it into really small pieces and put it in a noodly stir fry or lo mein sort of thing. It works in fried rice, too. If you use whole weat pasta and organic veggies, it’s a very healthful meal. Really intense Asian flavors work great with tofu, just play replace the protein. Not to mention most kids I know totally dig Chinese food. 

Page 1 of 2