StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Chrome/TG Xpert or SV Pole???

• Chrome/TG Xpert or SV Pole???

Posted by AriFerrari on December 8, 2013 at 10:45 pm

Alright, I’ve read forum after forum and review after review. The day has finally come where I need to make a decision on a pole upgrade. I’ve finally found a reliable buyer for my 50 mm chrome Xpole sport. I just can’t seem to decide what I want and it’s hard because I’ve only ever been on chrome. Part of me feels like I should stick with what I know, but at the same time I’ve had major pole-block for several months now because I just can’t seem to get past certain issues with sweaty hands. I’m wondering if it’s worth the gamble to try the TG or powder coat on Veena’s pole in hopes that improved grip will get me past this slump.

So here’s what I’m looking for:
    1. As mentioned above, I have really, REALLY sweaty hands. I’ve been poling for 2 1/2 years, it’s slightly improved but is really impeding on my progress with advanced tricks that require more reliance on my hands. I also train on a variety of other aerial apparatus, grip strength is not an issue for me as much as the slippage on pole. Dry hands helps but I would love to hear if anyone with the same problem has a finish preference.
    2. I’m for sure going with 45mm.
    3. I still want to be able to do static spins comfortably.
    4. I live in NC, it’s mostly humid here but the winter has it’s cold days.

Any opinions, suggestions, ideas…

Veena replied 10 years, 5 months ago 6 Members · 20 Replies
  • 20 Replies
  • Veena

Administrator
    December 8, 2013 at 11:25 pm

I have every finish including the new brass x-pole, the most consistent grip is still my SV pole. However, I don’t have sweaty hands, but have had girls use my pole that have sweaty hands and they said it was better than their chrome poles. Maybe someone with sweaty hands can offer some input! I can say that my TG pole gets soooo slick when I sweat in the summer, it’s not usable, but I can use my SV or brass.

• Veena

Administrator
    December 8, 2013 at 11:34 pm

Oh and static is my preferred style and I have no issues with it being to grippy. 😊

• Dancing Paws

December 9, 2013 at 11:29 am

I have horrendously sweaty hands too. I inevitably have to resort to gloves every practice. Based on MY experience, brass and powder coat are the best for sweaty hands. Even powder coat varies. I find, for myself, that transparent powder coating is slipperier on my hands than opaque powder coating. Now, if the veena pole has a transparent second coating, then it would be more slippery for me than say the black lilmynx pole, which is a solid color. It sounds weird, but that is MY experience. Solid PC is the grippiest on my hands, more so than brass.

• Dancing Paws

December 9, 2013 at 11:30 am

btw, I also have a chrome, stainless, and TG pole as well and they are all terrible for sweaty hands. TG is not good for me, even though it has good grip for other girls. It’s okay for my body, but my hands are just too unreliable on it. If you are anything like me, you’ll have better luck on brass or PC.

• Veena

Administrator
    December 9, 2013 at 7:04 pm

I have both finishes, what are you Looking to compare?

• AriFerrari

December 9, 2013 at 7:32 pm

Well, it sounds like TG might not be a good idea if its so slick. I had read somewhere that both brass and TG work with sweat due to their being porous, while other surfaces reject it (including PC). I had eliminated the idea of brass just because I grip pretty well else where and didn’t want to trade one issue of no grip for another with over grip.

With what Gypsy said about the different textures of PC, where does the SV pole stand? Is it transparent or opaque?

Also, Gypsy, would you say PC is your top choice for sweaty hands then? Since you have the same problem and have tried the different textures. If not, what is?

I do hope someone with sweaty hands who also has the SV pole might pop up!

• Veena

Administrator
    December 9, 2013 at 7:43 pm

I always suggest buying a pole for your body’s skin, not for hands. If you have sweaty hands every pole will be an issue to some degree. I use to love my tg until I moved to Vegas and find I sweat a lot in summer. Now PC and brass works when I sweat. I don’t know where the SV PC falls under. All I know is they’ve done a special 2 coat process making it grippy but “softer” feeling.

• Dancing Paws

December 9, 2013 at 8:21 pm

For me personally, solid color pc has the best hand grip. I can pole bare handed on brass and pc up to a certain point, then my hands get too sweaty and it’s all over. Brass has a lot of upkeep,.and i slip more on it when its dirty, which is a lot nowdays. Pc is growing on me more and more. Always keep a pair of gloves on hand in case. Pc and brass can over grip on the body though. Honestly, i couldn’t handle that factor at first, but now I’m getting used to it. I personally am gonna do pc as my next pole. It’s a stronger pole, easier to clean, and has nice grip.

Body wise, i can work on all poles, but my least favorite is chrome. My hands struggle most on stainless, chrome, and tg.

• azblanco

December 9, 2013 at 10:47 pm

I have tried the SV pole in person and I currently own a 45mm brass and have extremely sweaty hands… When I tried the SV pole I didn’t have and dry hands (my saving grace for my crazy sweaty hands) and I found I was able to do more the SV pole without grip aid than I normally would have at home with my brass with no grip aid.

The SV is my next purchase. Hands down.
    I do want to buy a stage pole eventually too

• Saphyre

December 9, 2013 at 11:13 pm

I own the SV pole and a Chrome X-Pole. I also have sweaty hands, but I use a clinical strength deodorant on them at night. It helps a lot! Anyway, what I absolutely love about the SV pole is that I do not have to use a grip aid. Not on my hands or my body (I use grip aid with my chrome). I specifically purchased it for the humid summer months and it was money well spent. The only thing I found is that if I poled for more than about 2 hours, I started to get too sticky, lol. That didn’t bother me one bit. My pole is in a room above my garage (brr), so in the winter I use my chrome. I saw my SV pole peeking out from the head of my bed last night, and I said, “Hello! I miss you!” Hope this helps!

• AriFerrari

December 10, 2013 at 8:17 am

Ladies, thank you for all of your feedback! It has really been helpful and I think I’m definitely leaning more towards the SV pole for Christmas! 😀 If there are more Veeners out there with suggestions, I hope to hear those too since I won’t be making the purchase until after all my other Christmas shopping for family and friends.

• Dancing Paws

December 10, 2013 at 12:18 pm

Just keep in mind that all of us are different, even us sweaty girls, so your experience may vary from ours.

• Ly Kieu Le

December 11, 2013 at 11:01 am

I have both SV and TG. The girls are right. Even many of us have sweaty hands, each of us has a different experience. I find my hands sliding more on SV than on TG after poling for the same amount of time. When I wipe down both poles, I personally find TG more sticky than SV. The best solution would be you trying on both poles and see how your hands react to the coats. I’m in Santa Clara CA let me know if you are close by

• AriFerrari

December 11, 2013 at 11:31 am

Thank you for the offer, Ly! However, I’m all the way out here in NC 🙁 Unfortunately, I don’t know anyone here who has an SV I can try out (or even just a powder coated pole) and I’ve yet to see any studios in the state that have TG. There lies my major conflict while shopping for something new…I have no way of TRYING anything new unless I just purchase and pray it works out!

• AriFerrari

December 16, 2013 at 9:36 am

Hello again ladies, turns out my aerial instructor has a black lil mynx pole she’s had put away for a few years! I am going over to check it out tomorrow! Had a question for Veena or anyone with a SV pole who may know the answer: how similar is the finish on the original coated lil mynx poles to the new SV pole’s finish?

Page 1 of 2