StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Choreography Book?

• Choreography Book?

Posted by Clinky on August 9, 2009 at 3:32 am

I have never been a dancer. And all I really know about choreography is that you have to listen to the music over and over again, and that there is an 8 count that most dancers use to their advantage – somehow.

I was wondering if there are and DVD’s or Books that are good on the subject. Links would be nice too…however, I’m going to need a lot of work on this, and I’d love to find a good book on the subject.

Thanks in advance!

yogabeachbabe replied 14 years, 11 months ago 4 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • Mjohnson0911

August 13, 2009 at 8:00 pm

All you have to do is find the beat of the song and start counting but not all music goes to and eight count. But once you find it you can slow down or speed up the count to your liking! Good Luck!
    Mindy

• Poleluver

September 21, 2009 at 11:51 pm

Is there a choreography book? My class has a dance for each level and I follow during class dependantly watching the instructor. By the time I am home I cannot follow the dance and allow for the EXTRASor even while in class very well.- I just don’t remember. I would like to try something on paper to glance at while going without having to follow a DVD- because it will be the same as class. I still like classes and DVDs but it could help me advance some. IS there such a book?

• yogabeachbabe

September 22, 2009 at 1:02 am

In my experience, it’s all about repetition. The more you practice it, the easier it will become. Honestly! Once you are really comfortable with basic moves, you’ll be able to flow into your dancing. I usually teach my ladies 2 or 3 counts of 8 (16-24 counts) at a time. I make them repeat and repeat and finally do it without me. I’ll stop to ask if there are any questions and then continue for another 16-24 counts. When the ladies start to look confused, I’ll stop teaching the choreography and we go over the whole routine. The choreography for a beginner class should not be overwhelming–it should be fun yet challenging and lead the dancer towards feeling successful and excited about dancing. Try not to get all caught up in getting the right steps on the right counts. Try to feel the movements with the music. It really does get easier!