StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Chopper/helicopter

• Chopper/helicopter

Posted by TatianaSD on April 26, 2015 at 10:46 pm

Ok…so this is really bothering me and getting on my nerves!! For some reason I am unable to do helicopter…I can invert, do inside/outside leg hang, but every time I try to get into helicopter I can’t!! I have followed the lessons here and nothing, I tuck but as soon as I tilt back I slip, loose grip and go forward. Anyone has any tips? I don’t understand why I can’t do such a simple trick! 😕

TatianaSD replied 9 years ago 9 Members · 12 Replies
  • 12 Replies
  • Paunobs

April 27, 2015 at 1:57 am

I’m not sure how long you have been poking for but it took me around 9 months plus to invert into chopper correctly, I’m sure it’s just a strength issue some get it quicker than others, it will come just keep practicing, also tip your head right back looking behind you.

• tacha666

April 27, 2015 at 2:04 am

Try to really lift your bum, lengthen your arms a bit and look behind (letting your head drop).
    If it’s a strength thing, try this exercise:
    Lay on your back with feet over your head on the floor. From this position, push up into an candle stick. Repeat several times and do it as slow as you can.

• Krabbette

April 27, 2015 at 2:06 am

The Chopper is not a simple trick! It requires lots of core and arm strength. So be patient with yourself, it is perfectly normal to take months before you can do it. Practice Veena’s Knee Tucks, they are hard in the beginning but will do wonders… Good luck!

• TatianaSD

April 27, 2015 at 9:18 am

Thank you all for the reply!! I will continue to try :)… I’ve been poling for 5 years and this has always been a problem…but I took a year off pole but I continue working out (weight lifting) and all my other tricks are coming back easy, like riding a bike, but of course not this one 🙁 but gonna follow all your tips and of course continue to practice until I get it :). Thanks!!!

• Rosemadder

April 27, 2015 at 4:32 pm

I have been pole dancing for 8 years and feel I can do a fair range of tricks but just can’t do chopper. Lots of teachers have given me tips but I still can’t do it. I can’t manage tilt back either but can lift into inverts ?!? Frustrated doesn’t come close to how I feel 😕

• dustbunny

April 27, 2015 at 6:52 pm

Can you do the pose by releasing the legs off the pole from a basic invert? If you can, work on reversing the motion, lowering slowly keeping the shoulders/core engaged. This should help with the lift.

• TatianaSD

April 28, 2015 at 5:07 pm

Wow!! Rosemadder, I know how you feel…at least now I know I’m not the only one having problems with this trick! Thanks dustbunny, I’m going to try it that way, it makes sense!! If I do it I’ll make a video and post it!!

• Sabina Rex

May 2, 2015 at 1:15 am

I had the same problem! I could invert and not chopper and I almost gave up. I just trained it hard every day for about two weeks for a few hours each day and then I got it. I realized I had the strength all along. I think you are strong enough you just need to buckle down and make it a priority in your life for a week or two.

• Sabina Rex

May 2, 2015 at 1:16 am

And if it takes longer thats fine too (some people take years some people get it their first try). Just buckle down and get it done because I was in the same situation (and I don’t think it will take years).

• Rachel Osborne

May 2, 2015 at 8:22 am

It took me ages and I trained by doing pole crunches, then pole crunching up into a tucked ball and tipping back a little further each session, but still tucked up, and coming down with control.

Also I now tip back and slide my hands down the pole towards my groin. This really helps me lean back and open out – and opening and dropping the legs out into a big V makes it much easier than tucking. But it’s the tuck training and tip backs in tuck that builds the core strength and shoulder engagement and stability.

• Pinkie Pip

May 2, 2015 at 9:58 am

I used to do what dust bunny advised and that really helped, along with the tuck ups Veena does. We actually learn this first before inverting (same with shoulder mount) , it looks strong

• TatianaSD

May 11, 2015 at 4:57 pm

Wanted to give an update on my post…I did it!! Now I still need to practice cause I’m not able to hold it for long and I have to bring my butt up more, because when I went to try to do leg hang I had to re-adjust my leg higher, I wasn’t able to just hook and let go….but I was soooo happy I was able to do it!! Thank you all for your advise!! This is why I joined SV because of all the help and support there is in this site!!!