StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Chicago area polers…

• Chicago area polers…

Posted by Onahnie on March 27, 2012 at 5:56 pm

For downtown Chicago polers, are there any good studios offering daytime drop-ins?  I'll be in Chicago for work (@ N. Michigan/E. Ontario, right by Northwestern, I guess it's just by Streeterville/above the Magnificent Mile, close to both the Chicago-Red and Grand-Red stns) in mid-April… I do have one free day (Monday, April 23), so am hoping there is a nearby studio where I can do a drop-in, otherwise I'll be away from my pole for 2 weeks.  Evening drop-ins MAY work, but I'm usually attending work-related dinners and I know I am busy the other days I'm in Chicago (Sat-Tues), but my schedule hasn't been finalized yet, so there may be a few openings. 

(Drop in aerial silks classes work as well 🙂 )

Thanks in advance for suggestions!

Coatcheckgirl replied 12 years, 1 month ago 7 Members · 12 Replies
  • 12 Replies
  • glitterhips

March 27, 2012 at 6:51 pm

Flirty girl and a factor are both nearby but I have no idea of they allow drop ins…

• glitterhips

March 27, 2012 at 6:53 pm

Flirty girl and a factor are both nearby but I have no idea of they allow drop ins…

• poledanceromance

March 27, 2012 at 7:51 pm

Joel Lessing goes to the Actor’s Gymnasium for aerial training, that’s in Evanston. I believe it’s wise to call ahead of time to verify that the class you wish to attend isn’t full, but as long as there are spaces left I believe they do allow drop ins.

• Mary Ellyn

March 28, 2012 at 9:27 am

S Factor is an excellent studio and they do offer some drop in classes in pole but they are limited in their schedule. Check it out to see if the coincide with your schedule.

Flirty girl has drop ins but I've heard some very upsetting things about their policies and how they teach.

• Onahnie

March 28, 2012 at 9:50 am

I looked at a few.. The actors gymnasium looks interesting, but it’s about an hour away from where I’ll be (by metro). If I recall correctly, both s factor and flirty girl seemed a little more nearby (just outside the loop)..

The only thing I noticed was that neither have an intermediate/advanced drop-in.. S factor has an “open pole” one (where you can just practice), and I think flirty girl had an advanced, but only if you’ve taken their previous courses. I’d prob be considered intermediate but still DEFINITELY learning, but I’d still prefer to learn a new trick or two, if possible. I did find another one which offered advanced classes if you’ve taken @ least 6 mths of pole (which is basically where I am). Can’t remember if that was flirty girl or anOther..

I have the sites open on my computer @ home, can chime in later for opinions on those studios when I’m home.

• Mary Ellyn

March 28, 2012 at 10:09 am

I just looked at their schedule and it appears April is not up to date so check back later.

They have a "Super Pole" class which is offered a couple of times a week. Look at the descriptions but I believe you have to start at level one or take an intro class…not sure.

• chemgoddess1

March 28, 2012 at 10:27 am

I have dropped into classes in the Houston S Factor studio on a few occasions; two were specialty classes and one was a normal class that they allowed me to attend.  It helps if you know their moves.  When I started to pole S Factor was about the only thing out there so I learned through their videos and book.  Their classes are usually 30-45 minutes of their floor work/stretches/conditioning and knowing the moves really helps.  that is not to say if you don't know their names you will not get it, it just makes the flow easier.  Their studios are also dimly lit and have no mirrors so at times it is difficult to see the instructor for cues during warmup.  S is also very different than most studios as they concentrate more on flow and feeling good in your skin and just moving through space than they do tricks.  I want to let you know that because some people still are not comfortable in their own skin and being sexy and may be uncomfortable in that type of setting.

• PippiParnasse

March 28, 2012 at 11:08 am

I did a drop-in Open Pole class at Flirty Girl once. It was really fun! Nice place.

• PippiParnasse

March 28, 2012 at 11:16 am

Oh yeah–I wrote a studio review, so you can see my whole experience there.
    http://acrobaticpole.blogspot.com/2012/01/studio-review-flirty-girl-fitness.html

• Onahnie

March 29, 2012 at 9:42 pm

Ok, another studio I found online which may work (depending on schedule) is Pole Velocity (@ the Discovery Centre).  Has anyone been there? ('m interested in the "just pole tricks" drop in on saturdays)

• Coatcheckgirl

March 29, 2012 at 10:06 pm

Yes, I go there sometimes.  Angela is amazing. 

• Coatcheckgirl

March 29, 2012 at 10:08 pm

Flirty Girl does drop in class, but they book very quickly you would have to call ahead a time.