StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Chair-Hand Position

• Chair-Hand Position

Posted by earthpanther on June 2, 2010 at 5:28 pm

Hello Fellow Polers,
    I have a question for all you ladies regarding the chair. In the studio where I learned and now teach, we do it with a full bracket arm/hand position. Lately, I’ve been doing tons of pole research and see that many people/places do the chair with a half bracket. How do you do the chair, full or half bracket? Also, what pros and cons do you see with the 2 different methods?
    Thanks a Bunch!!!

JenGwen323 replied 14 years, 1 month ago 10 Members · 22 Replies
  • 22 Replies
  • Charley

June 2, 2010 at 6:03 pm

I have always taught chair as a half bracket spin…I think half bracket makes it much easier to combine it with other spins. The only time I have done a full bracket chair is when it is out of boomerang or carousel. I think you get more versatility using the half bracket version and it’s an easier spin that can be taught before full brackets.

My 2cents.

• angel6101

June 2, 2010 at 6:33 pm

I’m pretty much the same as Charley. I’ve always taught it first in a half bracket which makes it easier to do with other spins as Charley said. I do however, go back and teach it with a full bracket as more of an intermediate version and to help build strength for full bracket holds/spins.

• chemgoddess1

June 2, 2010 at 9:02 pm

I could never do the chair until I saw somewhere that the bottom hand should be more facing up and used just to push yourself away from the pole. I have always had problems with full bracket anyway and even do my carousel half bracket.

• earthpanther

June 2, 2010 at 9:24 pm

Thanks for all the really great feedback. I’ve always done it full bracket because that is how I was taught and trained to teach it. I’m so glad this forum exists so I can get other pole dancing perspectives.

• Mary Ellyn

June 3, 2010 at 3:42 pm

Further advice: the chair is not safe if using the full bracket. This puts too much torque on the wrist when the body is facing forward but the hands are in full bracket position. This is especially true for new dancers who will rely on the support of the lower hand during the spin, and though they shouldn’t, it’s commong for them to do so when first learning.

You will see more experienced dancers use it occassionally to transition easier into other spins but otherwise it should only be used on moves where the tummy faces the pole.

• reenie aka Mysfit

June 4, 2010 at 10:10 pm

I am confused………….. https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_scratch.gif
    Can someone explain the half bracket vs full bracket thing?
    Does this refer to hand position or legs?
    I tried you tubing it…………..but it shows examples of both………

Huge thanks
    reenie

• Mary Ellyn

June 5, 2010 at 1:51 am

Both refer to hand/arm positions.

The half bracket is where the inside arm is the lead arm and is high with the thumb upward and the secondary arm is the outside arm placed to grip the pole approximately chest height, also with the thumb upward.

In the full bracket the arms are spread so that the second/outside hand grips low on the pole with the thumb downward and the lower arm straight.

• reenie aka Mysfit

June 5, 2010 at 3:32 am

Ahhhhhh. THX.
    I know them as standard grip and a push/pull grip.
    So many names for the same things.

Again thanks for the reply. I like being in the loop. Hehehe gotta get me down with all the lingo.

Both refer to hand/arm positions.

The half bracket is where the inside arm is the lead arm and is high with the thumb upward and the secondary arm is the outside arm placed to grip the pole approximately chest height, also with the thumb upward.

In the full bracket the arms are spread so that the second/outside hand grips low on the pole with the thumb downward and the lower arm straight.

• velvetvixen

June 5, 2010 at 1:56 pm

I’m glad you brought this topic up. I learned the chair using full bracket, which I personally found easier, but after reading this I may switch to half bracket! Is there any other moves that would be better done using half bracket vs. full?

• Mary Ellyn

June 5, 2010 at 3:29 pm

Any move where your tummy is NOT facing the pole should be done only with the half bracket.

Picture yourself during a spin…if your belly button faces the pole you can use the full bracket safely. This would include moves likes the

carousel: http://www.triagedesign.co.uk/wikipole/images/thumb/d/db/Carousel.jpg/200px-Carousel.jpg

and the cradle spin: http://www.verticaldance.com/full%20bracket%20cradle.jpg

• poledanceromance

June 5, 2010 at 4:35 pm

I learned that spin as veena teaches it, using the bottom hand turned sideways-ish not with any weight bearing on it, just to keep a healthy distance from the pole since beginners tend to have poor momentum in spins and it will keep you from bashing into the pole as you slow down. I think the actual one-handed chair is definitely not a real beginner spin, but something to build up to. I couldn’t do a chair safely with just half bracket when I first started. That bottom hand helped me feel secure and get the feel for the distance I should be from the pole. It also directs your momentum if you keep the lower hand on the pole, but not bearing weight just guiding, from the walk around through the spin. The first few times I tried it one handed I wound up halfway into a reverse grab because I didn’t have the shoulder strength in the top bracket to keep myself at a right angle to the pole. Observe:

http://ver3.studioveena.com/lessons/view/4104" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also notice she has it listed in intermediate. Def not a first day move. I doubt a real beginner would have the strength needed to have the majority of the weight on just the top bracket. You’ll notice she uses that bottom hand to direct momentum. I think that’s why it’s posted at the beginning of the intermediate lessons. It’s a good spin that gets you used to the kind of momentum sensations that will go into one handed spins like the reverse grab. It’s a good building block when taught the way she teaches it. You’ll notice how she kind of turns her hand towards the end of the spin…that’s how you can tell that hand isn’t bearing weight, shes holding lightly.

• earthpanther

June 5, 2010 at 7:29 pm

I think the actual one-handed chair is definitely not a real beginner spin, but something to build up to.
    I don’t think I’ve ever seen a one-handed chair. Do you have a link to one?

• velvetvixen

June 5, 2010 at 8:27 pm
  • Veena

Administrator
    June 5, 2010 at 8:34 pm

I’m still confused as to how one would do a chair spin using a "full bracket" https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_scratch.gif And yes I have this is listed as an Intermediate move and far into the spin section anyway….not for beginners even with 2 hands!!!!

• Mary Ellyn

June 5, 2010 at 8:40 pm

I think your confusion is part of the point Veena…some people are forcing themselves to use the full bracket because they can support themselves but don’t realize that they are actually hurting themselves both by the un-natural position of the wrist and by trying to use the bottom hand for support. Not to mention you don’t get yourself fully forward when your oustide arm is positioned downward.

I might be able to find a one handed chair.

Page 1 of 2