StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Cartwheel mount

• Cartwheel mount

Posted by jeng on June 30, 2009 at 11:18 pm

I can do the aysha using a forearm grip but not with a split grip. Anytime I use the split grip I feel like my top hand is going to let go when I try to get both legs off the pole.

So I wanted to know if I should even continue to attempt to do a cartwheel mount if I can do a split grip aysha yet.

Looking for suggestions.

jeng replied 15 years, 1 month ago 5 Members · 7 Replies
  • 7 Replies
  • Veena

Administrator
    June 30, 2009 at 11:59 pm

Being able to do a split grip ashya can be very helpful…because thats almost the end result of a CM but I was able to CM before I could do a SGA. Its helpful because your body will be familiar with the inverted position of the SGA but when I cartwheel mount my top arm is slightly bent and this can make that same inverted position feel much different depending on how you twist your body. I would work on both! I tell a lot of people to work on the SGA first just because it can help you work on your balance. https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_flower.gif

• Charley

July 1, 2009 at 12:13 pm

I was the same too Veena, I could cartwheel and handspring long before I could do a split grip aysha.

It’s really up to you which you want to practice first. I think the ability to an SGA is helpful but not necessary because you’re talking about two different ways of getting into the SGA. The CM is easier in the sense that you can adjust your body as you go up and find the right balance where as coming off the pole you may not be getting yourself far enough away from the pole thus not creating the right environment to get the balance. However being able to do the SGA eliminates the fear of going up as your body is acclimated to the SGA position.

A good CM practice is to aim for getting your foot/ankle on the pole instead of going completely up into the SGA position. CM up into an extended butterfly once you start getting the EB every time use your foot/ankle to push yourself further into the inverted position and bringing that back leg in towards the pole so you can tip your hips toward the pole. The SGA works the same as any other gripped aysha you want your hips tipped toward the pole.

• azriel

July 2, 2009 at 9:50 am

I have a related problem & really need advice! I can do a split grip aysha, but not the cartwheel. Here’s what i suspect my problem is.. When i do the SGA (and other inverted poses), i’m way more comfortable using my dominant hand on the bottom, and can only do some of them that way. However, for the cartwheel mount, i find it waaay more comfortable practicing it with my dom hand on TOP (probably cause that’s the side i’ve always done a cartwheel on the floor).

So could it be that my sub hand isn’t strong enough to be the bottom hand, or that my body just isn’t used to my arms holding me up with the opposite grip? Do you all use the same arm on bottom for the CM as you do for other inverted poses like the SGA?
    Maybe i should practice my other side more so that my dom arm ends up on the bottom- but i’m just so much closer on my other side! Any thoughts on this would be great!

• Charley

July 2, 2009 at 11:06 am

Hi Azriel,

When I cartwheel or handspring my weaker hand is on top and my stronger hand is on the bottom – same as if to do it from on the pole. But there is no right or wrong way.

A couple of things besides strength that would keep you from getting it might be not committing to the moved. You want to make sure your bottom hand is low and that you’re head is low too.

Can you do the CM to the extended butterfly? This really helped me get the cartwheel.

I don’t see any reason you couldn’t do it on your opposite side, afterall we are supposed to be doing moves on both sides. It might take a little longer. You could always try changing your grip when you’re on the pole or try practicing the cartwheel on both sides but I think in the end it’s about getting comfortable with the move. I do stop myself a lot of times half way through because I feel slippery or notice something I might kick.

So keep your top arm slightly bent, your bottom arm will be straight, make sure your head is going low enough to get your body inverted and practice! I know you’ll get there.

If it makes you feel any better I just got this mount late last summer. I had been poling for nearly 2 years. And it took almost 4 months of a lot of practice dedicated to it.

• azriel

July 3, 2009 at 2:59 pm

Thanks so much charley! You’re right- not being committed to the move may be holding me back too & i’ve never really focused on keeping my head low. I’ve never done the EB from CM, since i mostly practice the CM on the opposite side from which i do an EB from on the pole (i can’t do it on my other side yet). And i can’t get into it from the other side of CM either, since i can’t lift up high enough on that side, LOL.

So i’m just going to practice it more from BOTH sides, using your tips & aim for an EB from it first, and see what happens with time.. Thanks again for the advice, and i do feel better!!! https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_cheers.gif https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_sunny.gif

• branquinha

July 3, 2009 at 6:55 pm

Great tips on the cartwheel, here.
    I’ll remember them when I next practice this move. Haven’t tried it for a while now, but when I get stronger I’ll do so. I find hard to lower the head too and it seems to be a common problem…
    Thanks and good luck to all of us trying the CM.

• jeng

July 3, 2009 at 8:37 pm

Those are great tips. I usually try to do a cartwheel mouunt into a straight edge, so I tried it today during my practice into the extended butterfly which is much easier for now. I’m going to keep plugging away at this.