StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Body changes

• Body changes

Posted by Liane on March 24, 2010 at 10:56 pm

Hi, all!

I’m brand-new to pole dancing and had a quick question. I was wondering, when you first started, did you notice significant changes in your body? Weight loss? Muscle tone?

I’m a regular exerciser but notice the more I practice on the pole, the more that’s all I want to do, and much of the rest of my exercise routine has gone out the window. I don’t want to lose what I have right now but I just get so much more enjoyment from practicing the pole than running on the treadmill or lifting weights.

Should I just go with it? Or should I moderate myself and get back to a more well-rounded routine? What kind of changes did you notice in your first few months of poling?

Thanks for your input!
    Liane

hipshaker replied 14 years, 4 months ago 10 Members · 11 Replies
  • 11 Replies
  • Fleur

March 25, 2010 at 12:12 am

My body is in the best shape it has ever been in and it’s all thanks to pole! That being said, it s always good to alternate your resistance training with a cardio workout AND you don’t want to overdo it on the pole and get an overuse injury! I would recommend keeping your pole workout to 3-4 times a week MAX and do something else on the other days, some cardio for example https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_e_smile.gif Hope that helps!

~Fleur

• MilienElayne

March 25, 2010 at 7:02 am

I attribute all of my weight loss and toning to date to pole. The only other exercise I do is necessary walking from A to B (which is a fair bit, mind you, as I don’t drive). I changed my junky diet to a healthy one only to make sure I had energy and vitality enough to pole better. I have lost 13kg so far and have a potential 3 more to go although I am very happy with the weight I am now. I have also grown much more as a person through pole and it has seriously helped me to ‘recover’ from my life-long social anxiety disorder. I have never looked, felt or been better physically, emotionally and socially. I love pole because there’s always something bigger, better, smoother, prettier, stronger… to work towards and I don’t think that will ever end…

I’m like a little pole advertisement…lol. Others noticed the changes before I did and I know it was gradual, but some days I have looked at myself and gone: ‘who IS that, she looks so different to the last girl I saw there’!

• Mindy4pole

March 25, 2010 at 7:12 am

Welcome to the obsession!!!! https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_twisted.gif

Pole has really changed my body. I’ve been poling a little over a year, and I have strong, toned arms, and a butt! I’ve never had much of a butt before, so that is way cool! I’ve also noticed a change in my pelvic tilt, and in the way my shoulders/chest work together. It’s kind of hard to say what happened first, though.

I pole daily a lot of the times (things have been crazy lately, so 4 x’s a week now), and it’s never caused me an issue. Since you are already fit, I think doing it daily would probably be ok… But do pay attention to your body and don’t let your enthusiasm get the best of you! https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_e_biggrin.gif

You can also do aerobics type stuff w/ the pole. Dance around it, but don’t do any strength moves. Then you can still be poling, but in a less intensive way. My personal opinion is the best exercise is the one you’ll actually do!

Good luck!!
    Mindy

• minicoopergrl

March 25, 2010 at 4:32 pm

Im also a walking pole advertisment. I gained 80lbs in my last pregnancy, Ive lost 60 of it and its only been a year since I gave birth. I can feel it in my whole body, I see my midsection shrink daily.

I also go to the gym as well (sometimes I do pole and gym all in the same day), I really needed cardio. My cardio has improved and I can last longer on the pole. Ive also have abs, something I havent seen in a very long time.

Pole will change your body in a different way. Its hard to descibe but you will see it.

• Veena

Administrator
    March 25, 2010 at 5:24 pm

I have been working out…mostly with free weights (until I found pole) for almost 10 yrs now and I’ve been an ACE certified personal trainer for about 9 years. I can tell you first hand POLE IS THE BEST WORK OUT EVER!!! After my first 3 babies I went back to strength training and saw good results, got back into my old clothes with in about a year with the 3rd. ( I hadn’t discovered pole dance yet!)…BUT with my 4th baby I had been poling before I got pregnant so after a week or 2 of just strength training I went back to pole dancing and only pole dancing. I was back in my old clothes with in a few months!!! I was shocked https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_eek.gif

Now, the body does become accustom to whatever form of exercise we are doing so its always good to change it up! Add in yoga, go off pole and train with weights for a week or 2, ect….

My 2 suggestion for you if your wanting to pole only for a bit….Do moves on BOTH sides! Add some push ups and inverted shoulder presses to your pole routine. For new dancers, the chest, shoulders and triceps are not always utilized as much as the back and biceps and you don’t want to have an imbalance.

Here is a vid of my 3 weeks after baby…. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5UhIJnX5Rw
    now check it out this is 10 weeks later, this is after pole dancing as my only form of exercise!!!
    10 weeks after baby……http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNAUO1knwEQ

• SissyBuns

March 25, 2010 at 7:33 pm

I was weight training before I started pole and still continue to lift, but…I did notice a change in the shape of my body once I started poling. I seemed to thin out and got a leaner look to me as opposed to the boxy-er bulky thing I had goin on from just weight lifting. I love how pole is a total body workout because it helps to hit those smaller muscles you wouldn’t think to work on like your forearms for example. My back is in the best shape it’s ever been and I know I owe that to pole.

• SandyBrown

March 26, 2010 at 12:04 am

Others noticed the changes before I did and I know it was gradual, but some days I have looked at myself and gone: ‘who IS that, she looks so different to the last girl I saw there’!

This is the same with me! Other people started commenting on how my body has changed, particularly the instructors at my studio. I credit it not only to pole dancing, but the class package I continue to buy. It’s called 30 Classes in 30 Days. It consists of 18 pole classes and 12 FIT classes (pilates, booty camp, stretch, yoga). You have to complete each class within 30 days. I’ve done this package in the past but I always stopped to take a less-intensive class package. I’ve been doing this package since January because if you do 3 in a row, the fourth 30 Class package is free. My free package begins next month. I’ve lost 6.5 pounds since January and my jeans and shorts all fit perfectly. I’m hoping to lose an additional 3.5 pounds by the end of the month.

• Angel1201

March 26, 2010 at 12:25 am

Pole has turned me into a little she-hulk!

• MilienElayne

March 26, 2010 at 12:01 pm

Um WOW Angel 1201! She-Hulk… I like it! I did that flex thing in the mirror today and got freaked out. I have a better upper body than all of the guys I was friends with in high school who pumped weights like maniacs. I had to make a mental note not to flex in public unless I want to get odd reactions. I’ll massage an ache and recoil because there’s weird bulgy things there instead of my arms… https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_lol.gif

• Liane

March 27, 2010 at 3:29 am

Thanks so much for all your great responses! Great information and exactly what I was looking for!! Angel, your back shot is AMAZING. I love it! And Veena, what can I say. Your 10-week video is just jaw-dropping! Wish I had discovered pole years ago. Better late than never!

Liane

• hipshaker

March 29, 2010 at 11:46 am

Great for your arms – someone said last week I’ve got ‘guns’! Yeah, proud of them!!