StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Body Positivity in Pole

• Body Positivity in Pole

Posted by Lucca Valentine on March 4, 2017 at 1:42 pm

It really is crazy the difference in the way people feel about their bodies before and after pole dancing. The owner of our studio put together a mini documentary about it and some of the stories of the girls at our studio if you’d like to check it out

StrangeFox replied 7 years ago 9 Members · 11 Replies
  • 11 Replies
  • Lucca Valentine

March 4, 2017 at 1:43 pm
  • grayeyes

March 5, 2017 at 1:00 am

I totally agree that pole gave me so much more confidence but it makes me sad that so many women out there dislike and even hate themselves or their bodies (prior to pole). 🙁

I always tell people I think everyone (men and women) should pole–now I have a video to explain why–at least to women.

• Duopoly

March 5, 2017 at 2:05 pm

Brilliant video. I even teared up a little because I relate so much. The funny thing is, I didn’t even realise the negative way I felt about my body before I started poling. Poling heals, guys.
    Annnnd, I kinda want to go to your studio now. All those happy, smiley faces are super inviting!

• Neesy118

March 5, 2017 at 7:46 pm

Such a great video. It’s like it’s talking to each & every one if us in some way. Thanks for sharing

• dustbunny

March 6, 2017 at 4:19 am

Wow, great video!

• Veena

Administrator
    March 6, 2017 at 5:36 am

I’m glad you shared this with us! The timing is good too because I touched base on the benefits of trying out the sexy side of pole in the Pole Parlour interview. The fitness side of pole is great and has health benefits, but there’s something about exploring the sensual side of yourself that is powerful and has mental benefits!!!

• Lucca Valentine

March 7, 2017 at 6:38 am

Yes! I can’t wait to hear it 😍😍

• catmoves2718

March 11, 2017 at 3:28 pm

I think it’s really, truly, wonderful that some people feel better about their bodies after starting pole. Any time anyone learns to love and accept their body that’s a win in my book. That said, this is not a universal experience in pole. Being part of the pole community does not make everyone feel better about their body. Not all studios are body positive or supportive of people of all size or fitness levels. Some are downright hostile if you don’t fit a certain mold. Not all instructors model body positive behavior, and some model very negative and unhealthy behavior (e.g. under eating). So while I think it’s great that some people feel better about their bodies because of pole, I think there is a real tendency in the pole community to over state this experience and make it seem universal, which is very isolating and alienating if you are not one of those people who feel pole has improved their body image.

• LatinPoler

March 12, 2017 at 6:15 am

I am lucky enough to accept my body as it is. I know it’s not bad but also far from perfect. Looking at myself in the mirror in skimpy pole outfits has helped me, maybe because you get used to seeing yourself as you are. Yes, I would like to have a fuller chest and thinner thighs, but that would not be me. I’ve tried Victoria’s Secret bras that add 2 sizes but even if I might look better, it didn’t feel like me; so I never purchased one. I totally agree with Veena, the sexy side of pole, which is the side I practice most of the time, gives you “special powers”, reinforces your sensuality and body confidence. Dark pole rooms and fancy lights help too. Pole has helped me indeed.

• StrangeFox

April 15, 2017 at 4:50 am

I’ve been taught to be ashamed of and repress my femininity and my sexy side, and one of the reasons pole appealed to me was because it celebrated sexiness and femininity. It took me a while to get up the courage to do pole. I told myself I wasn’t fit enough, pretty enough, or brave enough to do it. I wish I’d gotten sick of listening to this negative self-talk sooner. I’m an absolute beginner with only two classes under my belt, but already I feel better about myself just knowing I had the courage to try something new. Not to mention landing a spin or being able to hold yourself on the pole is a huge confidence boost. You feel so strong and sexy, and so impressed with what your body can do! I remember the first time I was able to run 10K without stopping, and it just gives you this huge sense of accomplishment and appreciation for what your body is capable of. One of the “personal” reasons I decided to start learning pole was because I noticed some of that negative body image creeping back into my life and I thought: “well, it’s time to impress myself again.” Now I’m training for a new race and poling. 🙂

I would love to be as svelte, sexy, and leggy as LatinPoler. 🙂 But I can totally relate to wanting to have smaller thighs and a bigger, more shapely chest. I used to agonize about it when I was a teen and it got bad enough to where I refused to wear shorts and debated getting plastic surgery. I did buy those bras from La Senza that LatinPoler mentioned and they did make my breasts look 2 sizes larger, but they didn’t make me feel more confident. They didn’t make me love my body. I just felt like I was lying to myself so those bras went to Salvation Army. Now that I’m training up for a half-marathon, my breasts are getting smaller and smaller and my legs are getting thicker and thicker but I’m less bothered by that and more proud of my body for what it can do.

I’ve never met an ugly woman in my life, so it saddens me to see so many women struggling with body image issues.