StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Barefoot – or heels?

• Barefoot – or heels?

Posted by Hazi411 on November 18, 2012 at 4:17 am

Hi everyone

Just wanted to ask – The studio I started out at only taught in bare feet.  At Bobbi's (in Perth) where I am learning now, beginners is taught barefoot, but after that, heels are optional (although most students do wear them).  I am still struggling to invert wearing heels, and can generally only do this when I'm not tired.

I really want to be able to wear heels for pole (as it makes your legs look long and slim!) – plus I want an excuse to buy another pair of heels as mine have stretched and are a bit loose now.  I mainly wear them for the warm up, but then find I have to take them off once we start on the upside down stuff 🙁 

Help, advice, comments anyone?

Thanks 🙂

luvlee replied 11 years, 6 months ago 9 Members · 12 Replies
  • 12 Replies
  • Lee lee

November 18, 2012 at 8:34 am

That’s how my studio does it, but it’s a safety issue. Even when we are allowed to wear heels, they recommend that you where heels with straps so they don’t fall off.

Do you have the option to practice on your own at that studio? I don’t know if you could change the instructors minds, but why don’t you tell them that you are struggling?

• Hazi411

November 18, 2012 at 9:25 am

Thanks for the response 🙂 Yes we are advised to wear shoes with an ankle strap – 🙂 I don’t think there’s any possibility of changing the instructors’ minds, but although the majority wear heels, it’s by no means mpulsory and there is no pressure 😉 I do think heels look good though. Would like to get to the stage where I can dance equally well (or badly haha!) in either.

• Hazi411

November 18, 2012 at 9:27 am

Oh and yes, there is provision for practice time – which I am thinking of doing in the near future.

• Veena

Administrator
    November 18, 2012 at 10:14 am

Working on inverting from up on the ball of the foot will help you with your heeled inverts. Remember in heels you can’t spring or bounce off the foot so don’t be tempeted to let the heel drop down as you lift into the inverts barefoot 🙂

• ARoulette

November 18, 2012 at 10:15 am

I go barefoot because I train at home and my ceiling in my room is short 🙁 when I'm doing floor work and no inverts I'll put on heels for sexy walks and spins though.

• luvlee

November 18, 2012 at 11:13 am

I do both! When I am learning a move, I go bare footed. Once it is solid, then I can wear heels. Some moves have to be done completely different in heels, I have noticed. I dance in them and like to do most poling in them.

• Schtoffen

November 18, 2012 at 11:15 am

It's totally personal choice. I know girls from my pd school who wear heels sometimes but no one wears them in class. I suppose they figure pole dancing is already quite dangerous, let alone with heels. Personally, I have and will never pole dance in heels! 🙂

• Tali Kat

November 18, 2012 at 5:07 pm

Our studio prefers you to wear heels, unless you really don't want to (or can't) cos it's harder to pivot without them, and the dance routines don't work as well in bare feet. However at home I go barefoot, and just wear foot undeez. I prefer the bare foot look actually, but that's just me. I can't rock the tall heels cos I'm too clumsy but I do appreciate how good they look on others.

• Anonyma

November 18, 2012 at 5:35 pm

i need my shoes , i don t feel comfortable without them, even unsafe i would say, 

Now that competitions are going for the non shoes rule, i pole in my room!

• acoretacri

November 18, 2012 at 6:12 pm

I learn the move without heels and once comfortable then add the shoes. The number of people in class with shoes vary. We aren't allowed to use heels for new tricks because we always start over a trick mat. Some dance moves and floorwork can be easier with heels. I found mini-platforms (Pleaser) that I dance in most of the time. I tend to roll ankles in the taller heels, but I like the look when performing. I found shoes also help with preventing foot cramps 🙂

• Hazi411

November 18, 2012 at 7:28 pm

Wow – thanks heaps for all the responses 🙂 which heels are good for “learners”? I bought a pair of Pleasers (the ones which the shop owner said are good for learning in. Not sure of the style number but they have clear heels, platform and straps. I think they’re 6″ heels – will have to check!

• luvlee

November 18, 2012 at 7:34 pm

Those sound perfect. I always recommend 4-6 inch clears with an ankle strap for beginners. 🙂