StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Anyone Else?

• Anyone Else?

Posted by JoleneBell on April 10, 2014 at 9:27 am

I’ve discovered it’s a pattern that I feel WRECKED for the rest of the day after my pole sessions. And I mean WRECKED. I’m beginning to dread the after-effect, to the point that I’m texting my husband at work things like “We may have a super simple supper tonight if I’m beat after my pole workout.”

I seriously usually just want to put on ice (sometimes I tweak my low back a little), lay around and veg, or even sleep! I feel great during the workout, even invincible and just overall amazing, and I even moderately carb load beforehand (thanks NETA cert course). I just am wrecked for pretty much the rest of the day when I’m done.
    I’ve never done a workout outside of pole that just overall beat me down to my socks like this.

I’d just like to see how you all feel after an intense poling session. Do you experience the same thing? Is it normal? Will it get better? I’ve been pole dancing consistently for about two months now.

My poling sessions (including Pole Strength Routine, Conditioning, training on lessons, and Stretching) are usually around 2 hours long, every other day. The next day after some good sleep I feel good as new. I just don’t know why I’m so wasted for the rest of the day immediately following!

Veena replied 10 years, 1 month ago 8 Members · 14 Replies
  • 14 Replies
  • Veena

Administrator
    April 10, 2014 at 10:10 am

For someone who’s new to exercise 2 hrs is a long time to workout, I think it’s a long time for anyone who is not a professional athlete! When I first started lifting weights 15 yrs ago I would be sore all…the…time…and would train 6 days a week, but it was one of those things you heard everyone say, no pain, no gain. I feel they were wrong or maybe I’m just getting lazy… nah… I say just smarter with age, haha.

If you are tweaking your back or finding you need to care for injuries after working out I would suggest taking a closer look at form and technique. After having babies I have to be extra diligent about properly holding my pelvis and contracting the abs. If I get lazy and just dance without being aware of this, I will know right away and my back and hips will be unhappy.

For the past few yrs now I no longer push that hard everyday and my body is stronger and looks better then it did yrs ago! I workout about 5 days a week and often one of those days is hula hooping or something like balance work, poling everyday just doesn’t happen for me, I like to switch up my workouts. The days I don’t do a “proper” workout I ride bike with Henry or do something like walk to the park with him. It’s important to me to not sit around, I dislike sitting!

I know you said you carb load before, but what are you eating right after, it’s very important to refuel the body with a good balance of carbs and protein after. Also make sure you get enough iron and healthy veggies like greens make a huge difference in my recovery! Eating well REALLY helps with my energy level.

So short answer, yes if I do an intense workout I will feel wrecked too.

• JoleneBell

April 10, 2014 at 10:22 am

I think I have trouble finding the line between pushing myself to do the best I can, and just plain pushing myself too much. I’ve heard you stress before to listen to one’s body, and I think it probably applies here. If I’m that wrecked afterward, I probably should try to back it off to an hour and a half and see how I feel then.
    I do make sure to eat something carb/protein afterward. I’m also on myfitnesspal to keep me on track for good nutrition. I’ve noticed a difference in my strength during my workouts! It’s really nifty!
    But yeah, I’m likely pushing way to hard for too long and my body is crying at me. I’m going to figure out my happy medium and where to draw the line with myself.

I have this deathly fear of being a wimp!

• NettieMarie79

April 10, 2014 at 10:56 am

We get conscience and emotional promptings to guide us intuitively. If you feel you are overworking you probably are.

Pole sessions in the studio I go to are typically 75-90 minutes. They suggest a day of rest between workouts, like Veena. *Those are my aerobic, stretch/flex, and light pole activity days at home. Lol.

I don’t really do protein shakes or bars. Im more into some kind of meat afterwords. Haha. *sorry to all the vegetarians. And I try to take a nap prior to going to the studio on days I do. Otherwise I feel exhausted. A granola bar, tuna or pb&j sand which an hour before going to the studio usually help give a little protein boost.

• JoleneBell

April 10, 2014 at 11:17 am

A nap beforehand!!! What a brilliant idea! That’s what I’ll be doing from now on!

• BonnieAndClyde

April 10, 2014 at 11:38 am

A nap does work. After work I would take a 20-30 minute nap and my energy was revived for a good workout. I only do 1 hour of power pole though. If doing a lighter workout like going for a bike ride or stretching it may go 2 hours. A Veena day is about 2 hours because I have to play around for a bit after!! But I’m not pushing myself hard on the pole. I tend to be the opposite though b/c after a workout I am wired for a bit!

• LauraLish

April 10, 2014 at 11:40 am

On Sundays our studio has “Open Gym” time that’s 2 hours long.. and I feel like I’ve gotten hit by a truck afterward. Shorten your training time, problem solved.

• JoleneBell

April 10, 2014 at 11:49 am

Hit by a truck. That’s a perfect way of putting it!

• JoleneBell

April 10, 2014 at 11:50 am

And Bonnie, I hope that after I start napping beforehand and shortening my workouts, I’ll be wired like you!

• Veena

Administrator
    April 10, 2014 at 1:44 pm

I work out in the morning and often take a nap in the afternoon 💤

• Webmaster

Administrator
    April 10, 2014 at 3:33 pm

I know its not possible for everyone but I do my workout (not pole 😛 ) in the morning before starting work then take a 15 minute nap in the afternoon. Leaves me refreshed and full of energy and gives me quicker recovery.

• HonieT

April 13, 2014 at 8:46 pm

Two hours a day, every other day is a lot for a beginner. I practice or teach up to three hours, two to three times a week, mostly in the evenings after work. I try to get a 30 min nap in between and I have been poling for 2 years. I feel a burst of energy after classes but, the next day I do sometimes feel spent when I get up in the morning. I think part of it is like any other exercise. Don’t go too hard too fast. Make sure you are well hydrated and getting enough protein/carbs to support your muscles. See a doc for B vitamin levels, and other nutrients if it continues.

• I polekat I

April 14, 2014 at 8:13 am

yeppp same as everyone else – you are working out haard and your body is feeling it =P i ache after Every. Single. pole session or workout, esp something new which is a shock to the system! but i love feeling that ache afterwards, i love being able to pinpoint each and every muscle i have worked, and know that they hurt now but that is the sensation of them getting stronger =)
    also, epsom salts!!! i have heard great things about soaking in a bath with epsom salts added – it is supposed to be wonderful for aching muscles and a variety of other complaints. i just bought a huge bag from ebay and will let you know my verdict….!

• JoleneBell

April 14, 2014 at 10:41 am

I am pleased to let you all know that since I wrote the original post I have made the decision to keep my workouts to an hour and a half or less.
    SUCCESS! I take a nap beforehand also, and it really does help. I’m so pleased with not feeling like being hit by a truck afterward 🙂

• Veena

Administrator
    April 14, 2014 at 6:44 pm

That’s great to hear!