StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions And the “feminist” war against pole continues…

• 33barbwire

September 22, 2016 at 1:09 pm

Y’all I had a brain-thought and I can’t stop laughing about it. I think I’m gonna go troll the comments section on that article with Big Lebowski pics/gifs/videos.

• dustbunny

September 23, 2016 at 4:13 am

@33barbwire “The Dude abides”… “Give me the money Lebowski! “… “Rug pissers, at least I’m house broken!” Lol 😂😂😂

• Kellye Perkins

September 23, 2016 at 10:43 pm

I have always done pole like a gymnastic fitness exercise only. Why do people have to view it any differently than balance beam or horizontal bars? From my perspective there is nothing inherently ‘sexy’ about it unless you want there to be.

• Claire Moon

September 24, 2016 at 12:29 am

They have to view it as different from balance beam and other apparatus because many times it is! Your personal style and experience is absolutely valid and important, but to wonder why society has to see us as sexual is to ignore much of the pole community and to ignore the importance of sensuality as being ok and awesome (and I’m not trying to speak for you. I realize you might be perfectly fine with sexy/sensual pole).

Its great to be gymnastic and barefoot , it’s great to be sexy. I do both depending on my mood. We need to stop pretending like each other doesn’t exist or like society’s disdain is surprising. We live in a mysoginistic patriarchy; of course society’s response is hateful. We’ve had this discussion ad nauseum as a community. Our origins in sex work is why the public has a hard time swallowing us and they have a hard time with it because people are misogynists (and they can politely fuck off).

More general rant: Has anyone seen the new video that’s now circulating facebook about the history of pole? I’m disappointed by all the shares it’s gotten, especially right after the most recent assault on our feminism. This video Is the one that says pole originated from Chinese circus pole and Indian pole. That’s not our pole. It’s like saying bats evolved from birds bc they both have wings. We originated from girly shows in circus tents and strip clubs, both sexy. The video dilutes our history entirely and (perhaps indirectly) slut shames. Yes, we have been *influenced* by circus and malankhamb (i.e. Fonjis), but we are not *derived* from it. Saying or implying we come from Chinese or Indian pole is an attempt to distance us from strip clubs which is misdirected and unfeminist. It’s sex worker-exclusive feminism (new words I recently learned) which I find highly uncool.

I was completely guilty of a defensive posture when I started pole (now I’m just defensive in a different way!). I called it pole fitness, I lied about it, I hid my fuck-me pumps when mom came over. People should be correctly identified; say your not a stripper if you’re not one and someone asks, tell people you only use the pole as a fitness apparatus if you don’t use it to dance, but too many times people say these things with defensiveness or mild disgust for those that do strip or dance in heels. Correctly identify yourself and add “…but strippers are great and I dont have that skill set.” Or “…but pole can be sexy and that’s awesome.”

That is all.

• 33barbwire

September 24, 2016 at 5:18 pm

Well I took to the comment thread to communicate visually, but we’ll see if any of my comments get approved. My Lebowskiisms included:

“Well, that’s just like…your opinion, man.”
    “Shut the f*ck up Donnie, you’re out of your element.”
    “This aggression will not stand, man!”

Page 2 of 2