StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions All roads lead to splits?

• All roads lead to splits?

Posted by Carrington on October 2, 2013 at 9:03 pm

Ok Scandal fans will get my title. But seriously how can I increase my splits flexibility? I have never been able to splits and don’t know if its physicaly possible for me.(and I’m no spring chicken) but can anyone recommend a series of exercises or regimn i canfollow to increase my straddle/splits flexibility?

Veena replied 10 years, 7 months ago 6 Members · 19 Replies
  • 19 Replies
  • Cherished

October 2, 2013 at 9:48 pm

There's lots of polers here who have learned to do the splits at 30+ and 40+ and I'm pretty sure 50+ 

If you haven't done it as a child but are willing to put in the time and patience I don't see why you can't do it.

I used the 6 weeks splits plan http://www.unique-bodyweight-exercises.com/splits.html (It took more like a year though) as well as Alethea Austin's stretching for the splits – I followed the 6 weeks format and mixed in her stretches that were similar. I physically couldn't stretch everyday due to soreness but I did it when I could about 2 to 3 times a week sometimes only once a week. If I had been more consistent I probably wouldv'e got there sooner.

• Runemist34

October 2, 2013 at 10:25 pm

Mainly, you need to work on the areas of the body that go into things like splits- hamstrings, hip flexors, and… the ones in the middle I don't know the names of 😉

You can always look up stretches on Youtube or general Google, and Veena has lots of good ones here on the website, if you have her Lessons!

I… don't feel charitable toward the 6 weeks to splits plan, as I feel that it is dangerous.

The main thing to keep in mind with the splits is this: It may be uncomfortable, but it should NEVER be painful. I can't hammer on this enough! You should feel a slightly uncomfortable pulling sensation, but never, ever should you feel pain. If you do, ease off, or stop entirely.

Stretching is one of those things, much like dancing or strength training, that you eventually get very good at listening to. I was not very good at finding that sweet spot between discomfort and pain for a while, but now it seems to me like that sweet spot is more like a highway!

Take it slow, and you'll get it 🙂 People can always become stronger, healthier, stretchier. Doesn't matter what age they are at!

• Meg Smith

October 4, 2013 at 1:08 am

I’m 25 with as much flexibility as a wooden plank but I’m teaching myself…. This pic.is 2 weeks apart… https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/1384005_10151703867262568_1414624452_n.jpg

• Meg Smith

October 4, 2013 at 1:26 am

Try that one instead, about 2 weeks apart! Its not comfy or fun but it works haha xx https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/1384005_10151703867262568_1414624452_n.jpg

• Cherished

October 4, 2013 at 1:51 am

Hey Rune, I'm curious as to why the program is dangerous? A lot of members here had the same success with it as I did. 

I originally found it in this thread:

https://www.studioveena.com/forums/view/Splits_in_6_weeks_2010-03-19_013304

PS: I'm not trying to debate with you I was just wondering

• Meg Smith

October 4, 2013 at 2:05 am
  • Meg Smith

October 4, 2013 at 2:05 am
  • Runemist34

October 4, 2013 at 2:11 am

Hey Cherished

Well, in my experience, the idea of achieving something like the splits can take years. Many of our most highly prized dancers were either exposed to dancing, and thus keeping their flexibility high, from a young age, or they had to work on it for, well, years, like Alethia Austin.

Six weeks seems like a very short time, and a lot of stress on the muscles being stretched.

I suppose it may also be a personal bias, but I found the website to be very poorly written. When I see something that lacks proper grammar, spelling, and/or punctuation, I suppose I don't consider that website to be particularly professional. I wonder if they are just some person talking to the internet from their basement. I would hope that, if they did have professional training, they would seek to convey themselves in that way.

Otherwise… I read something on that website that basically stated "You get the last inch or so through pain." By pushing past the pain and down that last inch or so, you risk doing extreme amounts of damage, the way I damaged my hamstrings, for example, during that yoga class.

I fully admire and support anyone who wants to take on the challenge of this website, and I did my very best to give it a proper look.

But I cannot condone any kind of flexibility, or strength training for that matter, that would advocate pain. Pain is the ultimate warning of your body. Pain can lead to incredible injury. Pain is your body's way of saying STOP NOW.

I endure certain pain with the understanding that I will recover- such as the pain of piercings, or the pain of my pole gripping my skin between my thighs. But, at a certain point, I know to stop. At a certain point, I will cause myself injury. When it comes to muscles, tendons, ligaments (do you know what the difference feels like?) pain is just not an option I can agree with.

And thank you for asking 🙂

…Sorry for the rant

• Cherished

October 4, 2013 at 2:39 am

Don't apologize at all Rune 🙂 Thanks for sharing your thoughts and in light of your post I should mention to the O.P. that although I used the program and it worked (again not in 6 weeks for me) I definitely did not push myself to pain. A bit of discomfort – yes, but I was mindful of muscle tears and also made sure to be really warmed up ahead of time.

• Veena

Administrator
    October 4, 2013 at 9:27 am

You’ve come to the right place! I have very in-depth individual lessons for splits along with 2, 20 min routines!

Here’s the getting started flexiblity lesson http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=B1ZZE2GTBiQ&feature=plpp and a free lesson with tips for middle splits http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0Lv6af4pKQ8&feature=plpp.

• Carrington

October 4, 2013 at 2:02 pm

Thanks for all the feedback! I have been doing your stretches Veena. My split sucks and my straddle. Its almost as if my hips just can even open that wide. I had 2 caesarians because of my narrow hips (odd trait for a black woman…lol) but nonetheless I will keep at it!

• PoleRules

October 4, 2013 at 5:56 pm

I can relate. For the longest time I could’nt get past a sticking point. But all that changed when I discovered the foam roller. I brushed-up on how to use it for the legs, then I would roll away, every day. The key thing is, it has to be uncomfortable at first. Foam rollers help to break-down the tough, dense fascia and/or scar tissue that can prevent you from achieving your splits.
    I hope this helps, because I know it made a world of difference for me:)

• Carrington

October 4, 2013 at 9:21 pm

Thanks pole rules. Gonna get me a foam roller during my Target run tomorrow.

• Veena

Administrator
    October 4, 2013 at 10:20 pm

Good idea Oak! Check out the foam roller lessons to give you a better idea of what you’re rolling 🙂

• PoleRules

October 5, 2013 at 3:53 pm

Let us know how you like it:)

Page 1 of 2