StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Aerial Hammock HELP

• Aerial Hammock HELP

Posted by AriFerrari on April 3, 2013 at 1:02 pm

Hello Veeners, 
    I always get such great feedback and advice on pole related and sometimes unrelated issues from everyone that I was hoping to get some help on something I'm struggling with in my aerial class on the Hammock.

I am planning a performance piece on the hammock (aerial sling) for our student spring show but have been struggling with any drops that require a "diaper wrap". I can get into the wrap and execute the drop fine, but when I land the actual drop I catch under my arms very violently with a lot of jerking. I end up swinging around like a ragdoll rather than coming upright gracefully. 

My instructor has been working with me to troubleshoot what the problem is. First, she thought I was not focusing on going forward in a straight line, I am very aware of this now and it is no longer a problem, but I still land jerkily. Then we thought it may be that I wasn't settling completely into my back straddle. Altered that, still flopping around. Currently, she thinks that I may be getting the back straddle too high (where the fabric is sitting on my lower back). However, I've worked hard to adjust this (somewhat successfully) and even the times I've gotten it closer to my butt like she's suggested, no success…

Anyone worked on the hammock drops and have some advice??? 

Two particular drops this is happening on are what we call our "Silver Bullet" and also the "Salto". I don't have a video I can upload at this moment, but can get one tomorrow if it would be helpful for anyone who thinks they could help.

Thanks!

AriFerrari replied 11 years, 1 month ago 5 Members · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • Lyme Lyte

April 3, 2013 at 1:06 pm

Polefitmom teaches hammock….so if u don’t get any advice here, contact her direct. She is a huge help!!!!

• AriFerrari

April 3, 2013 at 1:12 pm

Thanks Lyme, I left her a message! 😀

• byrdgrrl

April 3, 2013 at 9:19 pm

Not sure if I’m talking about the same drop, and I’ve done it on silks tied into a sling, but what I find helpful is to arch my back slightly as I’m going over and lead with my chest. Think about making an arc, rather than going straight down, then over.

• glitterhips

April 3, 2013 at 9:32 pm

Yeah i was gonna say ask PFM she's a certified instructor! good luck! xo

• OopseyDaisey

April 4, 2013 at 12:44 am

Byrdgrrl is right…you should be arching so that you are going chest first (feet should be behind you and not under you because you are leanig into the arch) and then landing in that arch so that you are looking up at the ceiling and the bottom of the hammock is across your back where your bra line would be. That arch keeps you from landing forward on the armpits. Good luck!

• AriFerrari

April 4, 2013 at 7:35 am

Thank you ladies, I thought that I had been arching but when I think about it maybe I'm not leading with my chest through the whole drop. And OopseyDaisey, I think you are right, my feet are below me not behind me. I have practice tonight so I will focus on this and try to get a video. 
    Thanks again!