StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions ACL Surgery – any insight?

• ACL Surgery – any insight?

Posted by LittleC on April 6, 2011 at 5:30 pm

I have an old knee injury that has become more and more problematic over the past couple of months. I had broken my tibia and tore my ACL when I was 14, and at the time they elected not to do surgery due to my age and how involved of a procedure it was. Both knees hyperextend, but my bad one has always been a lot looser. Over the past couple of months it has started to get worse – not a lot of pain, but definitely less stability. It started slipping out of joint as well – first at a yoga class, then at aerial while I was on the trapeze. I finally saw an orthopedic surgeon, who confirmed that my acl was, indeed, toast. He also ordered an MRI because he suspected there was other damage as well.

I met with him Monday and my PCL appears to be torn as well. He said that he thinks there was scar tissue that was holding everything together, and over time with how active I am it started to break down, which is why it's getting so much worse so quickly. I am scheduled for an ACL/PCL reconstruction next Wednesday. He's planning on using a graft from my hamstring for the ACL, and a cadaver tendon for my PCL. And I am super anxious – as well as really sad.

Has anyone else been through this type of knee surgery and can give me some insight? I am really worried about my ability to get back to my pole and aerial stuff. He said most activities I can get back to within 3 months, but aerial and pole it will be closer to 6. These things have become such an important part of my life and even though I know I will have to be patient, there is just so much fear that I won't be able to get back to it. I am staying positive and am really hoping that the PCL will not need repair, but we will see – even the ACL reconstruction alone is a pretty intensive deal.

Sorry for the long post and thank you for reading! I am trying not to be a baby but I managed to avoid this for 20 years and really thought I could dodge it forever. Guess not. 🙂

LittleC replied 13 years, 1 month ago 6 Members · 11 Replies
  • 11 Replies
  • Dazy

April 7, 2011 at 6:50 am

Hi LittleC,

Within the past 15 months, I have had 4 knee surgeries! Dec. 09, I had my right knee ACL reconstructed. Like you, it had been torn for a while but i elected to not have the surgery as the instability was not that bad. However, I am a yoga instructor and the instability was getting progressively worse and worse. I had the surgery and my surgeon used my patellar tendon for the graft. The first few days out of surgery are hell but you are active and healthy and will feel better fast! At that time I had a 7 month old puppy and at 3 weeks post op, she came flying into my knee, which subsequently buckled and when I was in the grocery store later that day, it literally gave out and I fell to the floor. Soo, I went back to my surgeon, they did another mri and my pup had retorn my Acl…..I was devastated!!  I STARTED poling in March, one month before the ACL revision (which was last April….just about  year ago!!!) For that surgery, he used a cadaver graft…..another week of hell…..hate the immobilizer!! BUT, I was poling (without my surgeons blessing https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_e_confused.gif but I couldn't stand being so inactive ) within 4-5 weeks. I actually took a video of myself poling with my immobilizer on just days after the 2nd surgery…..I was all pumped up on painkillers LOL, I don't recommend that!!!   Because I was favoring that leg so much, I was straining my other knee and tore my meniscus in that knee…..had surgery for that in October and promptly retore that in November…..Just had surgery for that one again 3 weeks ago and I'm back to poling…..(disclaimer…..I shouldn't be!!!) but I am very careful with both knees!! Wearing the shoes is not a good idea for a while after surgery….I did the other day and i am all swollen again. You will go thru physical therapy, it will take a while but you will be fine and back to 'doing your thing' in no time……Please, just listen to your body (it's taken me 4 surgeries to do that) and watch out for dogs!!!! If you have any questions or want to talk before or after surgery, feel free to contact me!!! Good luck!!!

• KristiEllKay

April 7, 2011 at 7:30 am

I’ve had 2 ACL surgeries; completely severed it both times. First surgery, they stripped my hamstrings, srcond they used a cadaver acl (I’ve named it Yossarian). The hamstring-stripping took a lot more for me to recover, and my left leg has been smaller than my right ever since. The cadaver was almost a cakewalk, compared to that. However, my joints are all loose anyway, and even though the ortho did my 2nd acl uber-tight, it’s still loosening up too much, and I tear it a little all the time. The only thing I can’t really do as far as pole, though, (bearing in mind I’m a total beginner) is walking around the pole without paying attention to my feet. If I pivot while on my left foot, I come unhinged and tear again. Also, the “slipping out” thing happens in floorwork if I squat more than 90°. You can work around these, and it’s not a big deal if you don’t focus on what you used to be able to do. Just pay attention to your body’s abilities; it’ll def let you know if you shouldn’t be doing something.

Also, I was up on crutches the same day, and hiding my crutch in my gym locker every morning at school before two weeks. I wouldn’t recommend that, though, because your body gets used to limping a little, and that’s a hard habit to break. =p

• LittleC

April 7, 2011 at 5:56 pm

Wow – thank you so much to both of you. I really hope this is my only one – I don't want to do it again! I think I'm just going to do my best to be patient and heal over time. And Dazy, I will definitely look out for my dog – she is full of energy and has knocked my knee out before just playing with her. I will wear my brace to make sure it's protected. 🙂

I am trying to take pictures of some of the wild things my knee will do – I've gotten so used to it being a good party trick! It's served me well and I'm excited for it to get better. Good luck to both of you.

• Dazy

April 7, 2011 at 6:27 pm

LOL….I had to laugh at the 'party trick' knee! Mine doesn't give out anymore but it makes the loudest noises that usually people find very disturbing!!! Last weekend someone thought a bone had broken!! It doesn't hurt tho! good luck and keep me posted!!

• MissKitty83

April 8, 2011 at 6:54 am

The best thing is to LISTEN TO YOUR DOCTOR AND DO WHAT S/HE TELLS YOU.  I work in an OR – and I know it's HARD not to push yourself, to keep away from your activities as long as s/he tells you to, but trust me, it will be worth it in the end.  You don't want to end up re-injuring it or putting so much stress on your 'good' knee that you end up hurting it!  https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_eek.gif

Your body needs time to heal, and even though it's hard to be patient, it's ESPECIALLY important with knee surgeries.  Trust me, you will end up better off and more stable LATER (and not have to have additional surgeries in later years) if you take it easy NOW.  Promise.  Take care, and I hope everything goes well!!  https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_e_smile.gif

• RoxyPink

April 8, 2011 at 6:53 pm

I hope the surgery goes well and if you need anything at ALL please let me help!!  As far as taking time off….I'll be right there with you!  Maybe we can crutch around together….OOOH!!!  We should make a gimp video of us!  🙂  lol

• LittleC

April 8, 2011 at 7:05 pm

Yay, Roxy! Well, it sounds like gimp poling will not be a good idea for me, but I'm sure I could roll around in my brace while you do. Ooooh, sexy! lmao

• RoxyPink

April 8, 2011 at 8:01 pm

hahaha….it's wouldn't be nearly as funny if it was just me!!  we will have to do something!!  Let me know how wed goes.  I'll give you the dl on my doc apt on Monday.  I'm getting nervous  😐

• LittleC

April 8, 2011 at 8:09 pm

You better let me know how it goes Monday! Call or text – I will be at work.https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_heart1.gif

• Lemon Drop

April 11, 2011 at 6:34 pm

I am 32, just begain poling. Have had both of my acl's repaired when I was 17 & 18. I am an athletic person still, again, just a beginner at polin but I have yet to feel or see any difficulities with my recovered knees. Time will tell I suppose, but I plan to attack the pole as if nothing has ever happened to my knees! I'll keep everyone posted if I do rip or injure something :(. But I feel as if its not going to hinder my abilities one bit 🙂

• LittleC

April 11, 2011 at 7:20 pm

Thank you, Lemon Drop! That is a great attitude and I am excited to get confidence into my knee again like you have! You had both done – wow, you are a tough one! I think one is about all I can handle. 🙂