StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions 45mm or 50mm?

• 45mm or 50mm?

Posted by MogoMatic on August 6, 2009 at 4:05 am

I ordered the 45mm because I have tiny hands…

Does any one have an opinion on the matter? hah. I’m starting to second guess myself.

Charley replied 14 years, 11 months ago 10 Members · 10 Replies
  • 10 Replies
  • New_Dancer

August 6, 2009 at 12:37 pm

If you look under the "Dance Poles" forum you will probably find a good range of opinions on this https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_e_smile.gif

New Dancer

• Veena

Administrator
    August 6, 2009 at 3:40 pm

I really like my 45mm. But I make sure to dance on my 50mm just as much if not more, because it improves my grip strength. If you only plan on dancing at home, then a 45mm is great! If you would like to take classes, work in a club or compete get the 50mm, this is the standard size and it is much easier to switch from larger to smaller and not the other way around. I have known many tiny girls who danced on a 50mm. 45mm is my personal fav!! https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_flower.gif https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_flower.gif

• Bendie

August 7, 2009 at 12:05 pm

I have a 45mm at home, however use a 50mm at my class. I find the spins more challenging on the 50mm due to my tiney hands, but all the other pole moves are fine. I have found that my spins have improved greatly since I have been able to practice more at home. I can perfect my technique better on the smaller pole and as a result do better on the 50mm pole.

• MPsuzziQ

August 7, 2009 at 2:00 pm

I had a used 50mm chrome x-pole and did have a hard time gripping it so I sold it and now I have a 45mm TG x-pole. There isn’t a studio near me and I only pole at home. I’m very happy with the smaller grip and I don’t have small hands. It is much easier for me to hold my new pole, but I’ve seen girls from all sorts of shapes and sizes do some FABulous holds on either size pole with either type of finish.

• HunnyHeatha

February 5, 2010 at 11:15 pm

I’m wondering whether I should buy a 45mm or a 50mm X-Pole.
    In my class we have both 45mm and 50mm poles, so I’ve used both.
    The 45mm is WAY easier, but I almost like the fact that the 50mm is more of a challenge. And that 50mm is the standard size is kind of making me lean towards getting the 50mm. I don’t know. I can still grip the 50mm, it’s just a bit more challenging.
    Any thoughts or opinions on which one to get?
    Was there a specific reason you got the size pole you did?
    Thanks!!!

• Mary Adrenaline

June 1, 2010 at 8:15 pm

I also own a 45mm chrome x-pole and I think it has helped me learn the moves pretty fast for a beginner. I think my hands are small too so I figured it will just be easier. I did not expect to be able to get the Aysha done in a little bit less than 6 months, that being one of my first goals ever since I dreamed about owning a pole. Now it seems like I have to get rid of it because I might be allergic to the chrome polish so I was thinking to buy a 50mm this time and learn the real deal..https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_razz.gif. My question is.. how much of a difference is there? I honestly hate working out separately from the pole, lifting weights and such because that just bores me..lol, so will I have to do that too since you, all, said that the 50mm requires more strength? Is it that big of a difference?

• megs982

June 1, 2010 at 9:32 pm

I have small hands as well. I have a 50mm. I’d love to get a 45, but i heart its harder to grip with say a CAR if you are use to the 50.. any opinions on this?

• LittleC

June 2, 2010 at 12:13 am

When I first started poling last year, I bought a 50mm since that was the standard and that was what I used in class. My hands are super tiny, but I could do spins (except reverse grab) and climbs without too much trouble. Inverted leg holds like gemini and scorpio were easy to learn on the 50mm – where I started having issues was with inverted split grips. I couldn’t aysha, and even butterflies were tough. So in December I bought my 45mm.

I love it! The scorpio/gemini hurt a little more, the hip hold took me forever and a day to get over the pain https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_geek.gif , but other than that, everything is easier for me. The trade off is well worth it – plus I don’t have the forearm pain that I used to. I’ve talked to some people that try a 45 and don’t feel a huge difference – but if you are like me, you will know the second you test it out that it’s a better fit for you physically. Good luck!

• Charley

June 2, 2010 at 12:51 am

I have very small hands, my hands don’t even touch finger to finger on a 45 and I use 50’s and even teach on them.

I have ordered a 45mm ps pole (we’ll see if it ever arrives) but I plan on using it only for performances since they are much easier to get on with. Otherwise I am still pretty happy with my 50mm and it was a tough choice to go with the 45.