StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions What do you wish someone had told you?

• What do you wish someone had told you?

Posted by polergirl on March 22, 2012 at 10:56 am

I wish that, early on, someone had reallllllly emphasized to me the importance of being able to freestyle. The importance of movement and dance. The importance of developing myself as a dancer. I may not have listened ("teenager" dancer syndrome lol) but still.

What do you wish you'd been told early on in your pole life?  ðŸ™‚

karebearstare replied 12 years, 1 month ago 33 Members · 41 Replies
  • 41 Replies
  • Lyme Lyte

March 22, 2012 at 11:18 am

That without proper lessons you will not learn.  I had my pole up for about a month before finding this site (no studios in the area).  I couldn't do ANYTING and almost took it down.    Thought that by looking at some YT videos, I would get the hang of it….WRONG!  You need structured, consistant lessons in order to learn pole.  If you think your just going to jump on and go into an extended butterfly, or even a climb by figuring it out on your own…..not going to happen.

• Dancing Paws

March 22, 2012 at 11:45 am

I just wish someone had recommended a 45 mm to me instead of a 50 (as I am a shortie with small hands and a short torso), then I would have saved myself a bunch of money and headaches.

• Cherished

March 22, 2012 at 12:03 pm

S t r e e e e t c h !!!!!

• divapolegoddess

March 22, 2012 at 12:06 pm

Be persistent and consistent!!!! 

• RoseMay

March 22, 2012 at 12:10 pm

I wish I would have listened when I read how important Veenas shoulder, forearm and wrist conditioning lessons really are and how much stretching the forearms after poling helps.

Oh, and I second the 45 mm thing. https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_heart1.gif my 45mm TG

• chemgoddess1

March 22, 2012 at 1:04 pm

When I started in pole 45 was not even an option.

I wish someone would have told me how much money I was going to spend on bras, booty shorts, shoes, tank tops and music!  Oh, yeah, and classes and workshops.  I really don't want to sit down and work out that figure…..

• polergirl

March 22, 2012 at 1:09 pm

If I wrote down how much I spent I would be horrified, I'm sure. Then…. if I wrote down how much I *STILL* want to spend, on various things like wigs and shoes and a new brass 45 pole and and and and and……..  I would be even more horrified, lol.

• poledanceromance

March 22, 2012 at 2:47 pm

That I would experience and subsequently break out of many, many plateaus. Each one has felt final, none have been.

• chemgoddess1

March 22, 2012 at 2:49 pm

Ugh…plateaus.

• Tiffany2587

March 22, 2012 at 3:03 pm

I wish that I found StudioVeena before I joined my current studio. I would have conditioned and stretched about a month before hand.

• polefairy

March 22, 2012 at 4:10 pm

I wish someone would have told me that I didn't need to force myself to struggle with a 50mm. I am so stunned by how I ever used it and I've only have my 40mm one week! https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_e_biggrin.gif

I also wish someone had have told me how to invert correctly. Untraining bad habits was very difficult. Proper form to begin with would have been nice.

• Kaylie

March 22, 2012 at 4:54 pm

This is a great topic!! I have been thinking about not finishing my classes at a certain studio as they jump into inverts. Most students are nursing injuries. I just got my pole today and I think I will just let Miss Veena teach me wisely and safely at my own pace! Thanks for letting me learn from your mistakes!!!

• HotelChick

March 22, 2012 at 5:14 pm

Yes. Plateaus, dancing, and stretching. Also found this site a little too late, after I suffered an injury. However, I doubt anyone would have been able to slow me down and encourage me to develop the strength I needed before attempting certain tricks. This sport is too addicting!

• Lana Lee

March 22, 2012 at 7:17 pm

I wish someone would have told me that I was going to be spending an unhealthy amount of money on everything that has to do with pole dancing.  I also wish that someone would have told me how addictive pole is and that it will occupy my mind practically all day every day, sometimes more than the boyfriend occupies my mind.

Oh… and stretching.  I would've started constantly stretching at the tender age of 1 if I knew I was gonna be pole dancing at the age of 26 https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_e_biggrin.gif

• tarah

March 23, 2012 at 12:20 am

i wish someone had told me all of these things, lol  https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_mrgreen.gif  but i'm still glad i started.  🙂

Page 1 of 3