StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions spinning pole climbing

• spinning pole climbing

Posted by Jacquiespinz on December 19, 2017 at 10:16 pm

Any suggestions on getting more comfortable going from a spin straight into a climb while in spinning mode? I am working on my static climbing which is fairly decent but notice when I go into spin mode, I will just get too fast and struggle with the climb. Any suggestions?

Veena replied 6 years, 4 months ago 4 Members · 8 Replies
  • 8 Replies
  • StrangeFox

December 20, 2017 at 5:00 am

This also happened to me. I think it gets easier the stronger your upper body gets. One thing that I was doing that made me spin super fast was pulling up and into into the pole too quickly. The further away from the pole you are the slower you’ll go, and the closer you get the faster you’ll go. If I’m struggling to climb on spinny I always make sure I stick my butt out extra far and really exaggerate and slow down my climbing movements (ie, extending my arm and leaning back a bit before grabbing higher on the pole to slowly pull myself up, which makes me spin faster).

Climbing on static always seems like more of a power move to me (I just haul my butt up that pole!). On spinny I have to be more flow-y and elaborate with my climbs. Once I got used to climbing gracefully and slowly on static I was able to do it on spinny.

They just introduced spin pole as part of the curriculum in my level. I love it, but I don’t understand how I’ll ever be able to do anything on it. Even a Gemini on spinning seems to take way more strength and concentration than it does on static. It feels like I have to learn everything all over again – lol!

• Jacquiespinz

December 20, 2017 at 9:34 pm

I agree. I think it takes a shit ton more strength! I have only recently in the last month or two started playing on spinning mode and I remember before, it always felt like I couldn’t maintain it. I love it now! I like your suggestions, I will definitely play with that!

• Veena

Administrator
    December 20, 2017 at 10:56 pm

This combo will help you strength for a spinning climb https://www.studioveena.com/lessons/view/5491b996-3b0c-48a7-a81f-76eb0a9aa0eb …also, if you haven’t already worked on the Spinning pole forward invert prep I suggest that to help build strength. It’s the first spinning pole lesson in the bonus lessons. https://www.studioveena.com/lessons/view/548f097e-4ddc-4544-a00f-68600a9aa0eb

• Jacquiespinz

December 20, 2017 at 11:54 pm

I didn’t see this in time! I am exhausted now from what I was doing but those two video’s will be what I plan to work on either tomorrow or saturday 🙂 We will have to see how sore I am tomorrow! Thank you! 🙂

• Jacquiespinz

December 24, 2017 at 7:17 pm

Veena I worked on those videos today! They were wonderful! I also had the most success climbing on spinning mode yet. It’s not the most pretty of climbs but it’s better than it was!

• Veena

Administrator
    December 24, 2017 at 7:56 pm

Awesome!!!!

• Karen DJ

December 27, 2017 at 5:08 am

I’m actually going to disagree, but it’s because of a weird reason I think. I started on a spinny pole and have issues with static. What I figured out is that I depend on the momentum to absorb my movements. So let’s say I’m going to do a pole sit into a plank. If I’m on a spinning pole, I’ll spin maybe 90 degrees if I shift my weight to one side a little. I sink into it and doesn’t hurt. Then if I do the same thing on static, it’ll hurt and I have to work more to get the pose since there’s no movement or “shock absorption” to help with it. So weird how it all feels so different. I don’t think I’ve ever tried to climb a static pole haha, but spinning climb, no problem. Guess I better practice this more! Great topic to bring up!

• Veena

Administrator
    December 27, 2017 at 5:11 am

It’s totally common for you to struggle with static if you start on spin and vise versa!