StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions What are the Pro’s and cons of a stage pole

• What are the Pro’s and cons of a stage pole

Posted by mystical on February 6, 2020 at 9:22 pm

I am thinking of getting a stage pole, I would like to know everything there is to know.

Colleen Larson replied 4 years ago 6 Members · 11 Replies
  • 11 Replies
  • Veena

Administrator
    February 6, 2020 at 9:51 pm

Cons:
    They’re REALLY heavy
    Set up is never as easy as I thought it would be (I’m always sweating by the time I finish)
    They make a lot of noise if you wear heels
    They don’t have much room for floor work
    The metal is cold and hard on your knees and feet
    Outside in the sun the black metal gets REALLY hot
    They don’t feel as stable as a pole that is supported at the top and bottom
    If using it inside you need over 10 ft of ceiling height.
    The spin is not as nice as a mounted pole, you really need to know how to work a spin pole to keep the momentum.

Pros:
    You can set them up outside
    They are great for performers because you don’t need a ceiling to use it
    You can attach a lolipop lyra to the top
    Great for performers!

The reason why you want a stage pole is probably the most important thing to consider.

If you plan on performing, it’s GREAT! If you want to use if for practice instead of a permanent or removable pole, it’s not ideal. If you plan on setting it up and down often it’s a pain. You’re better off investing in a permanent mount for a pole instead.

It may sound like I don’t like the stage but I DO, as a professional its worth the money.

• mystical

February 7, 2020 at 12:18 am

Thanks Veena, with the cons it sounds like I don’t want one then, my ceiling is only 7 feet 6 inches tall, I was wanting one just to have one and try it out. The thing I like about a stage pole is you can take it pretty much any where.

• mystical

February 7, 2020 at 12:28 am

Plus I hate when my pole slip’s out of place every so often that’s frustrating, I live in an apartment so I might not be able to get a permanent pole.

• Veena

Administrator
    February 7, 2020 at 12:44 am

Check your ceiling, depending on the style and age of the apartment you could install a mount if you have the xpole. Find out if you have joists/studs. If it’s concrete that won’t work. Knock on the ceiling if it sounds hollow in some spots and solid in others chances are it’s joists. If it just sounds solid every where it’s probably concrete. The mount only goes into the ceiling nothing goes into the floor. You keep the same base.

I rent and it just takes a few screws for the mount and those holes can be filled easily when you leave.

• mystical

February 7, 2020 at 8:57 pm

I will check, I didn’t even think about that. Thanks Veena

• Serzi

March 10, 2020 at 7:13 am

I learned pretty much everything I know on a classic 50mm X-Stage. I did this because I did not want to deal with screwing up my ceiling and figured a portable pole would be a good investment.

Like Veena said, there are some cons. There are limitations on floor-work, the metal is hard on the knees, steps are very loud in heels, can be too cold or too hot depending on environment, very heavy, and you will likely have to cut your pole to fit your ceiling height. I highly recommend that if you do purchase a stage-pole you buy a second B-pole for this exact purpose. That way you can have the shorty for indoors and the full length for outdoor/performances.

All of my videos show the gradual progress and general pros/cons of having a stage-pole as your at-home practice option. Still love my X-Stage, but I would absolutely love to have a reg pole (or two ;)) as well. Also…they have the X-Stage Lite and other options nowadays so it may be somewhat easier than what I started w/. However, I will say everyone I meet tells me my classic pre-Xjoint X-Stage spins wayyyyyyyyy better than the new ones. Don’t know if that’s true or not from a personal standpoint, but that’s what others have told me.

Hope this helps you!

• mystical

March 10, 2020 at 5:59 pm

Thank you, serzi.

• Serzi

March 11, 2020 at 6:47 am

Np. Please keep us updated on whatever you decide to do. ☺️

• Brittanyshanah1663

March 12, 2020 at 7:12 am

The stages scare me. When I see ppl poking on them they sometimes look like they are going to break with the force being applied to them. They swag to whatever side the weight is on. I just don’t think I would feel comfortable on them, but I’m sure when you are on them you don’t feel it, it probably just looks worse than it is.

• amelia2000

March 13, 2020 at 4:44 pm

@Brittanyshanah1663 you can extend the legs on Xstages and weight them down with sandbags to make them more secure.

I feel safe on mine without extended legs and without sandbags, but I’m only intermediate and train only on spinning so I’m not throwing my weight around it as much as other people probably do 😉

But agree with Serzi, the stage part is annoying. But on the otherhand, your heels aren’t ruining your floor. We have wooden floor which I am worried about walking over in my heels as it’s a rental.

• Colleen Larson

April 1, 2020 at 4:18 pm

I use a regular pole at home and a stage pole at my summer home. Yes, the stage pole is a pain-in-the-ass to set up and there’s not much room for floor work. However, my husband and I are moving out of our winter home soon and moving to Florida. I don’t know if I will have a suitable place to put another standard pole. So I may have to buy another stage pole. No excuses. If a standard pole won’t work, you make a stage pole work!