StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Twisted grip hold/Hangman?

• Twisted grip hold/Hangman?

Posted by Roxanneeharvey1962 on January 26, 2021 at 5:54 am

I can do my split/twisted/cup Ayesha/jackknife, but for some reason hangman is seemingly out of reach. I’m not sure if maybe the body position is throwing me off, or not starting from an invert? The bottom hand tends to have a harder time on this one for me and my body will just fight its way back towards the pole. Split grip upright holds are fine too if my torso is towards the pole. Any tips/tricks/progressions?

bugsy monroe replied 3 years, 2 months ago 4 Members · 9 Replies
  • 9 Replies
  • monica kay

January 26, 2021 at 6:48 pm

what is hangman?

• Roxanneeharvey1962

January 26, 2021 at 7:37 pm

Sorry I’m not sure if there’s another name for it, but this is what it looks like

• bugsy monroe

January 27, 2021 at 7:56 pm

Are you perhaps trying to thrust your hips away from the pole? This move’s all about the push and pull between the arms and turning out of the chest – the hips just hang “relaxed” underneath, otherwise they’ll weigh you down.

• Roxanneeharvey1962

January 27, 2021 at 8:31 pm

Ooh interesting! I’ll keep this in mind next time I try, maybe that’s what I’ve been doing wrong. Also, is the spacing the same as it’d be if I’m facing the pole in true split grip? I almost feel like I should have my hands just a little closer together to create space for my head/I can’t tell if I want my shoulders to be parallel to the ground or a little more uneven. I’ve tried both ways and can’t tell what’s easier. This one is a challenge. When I’ve seen it in video it sometimes looks like the chest is more to the side kind of like a flag/iron X and not completely away from the pole.

• bugsy monroe

February 2, 2021 at 6:24 pm

Hello, apologies for my delayed response! In my defence, I have a baby and a preschooler…

I keep my hands at the same distance as if I were doing a forward facing split grip, or even a little wider, definitely not less (that would load too much pressure on the lower wrist, in my opinion). My shoulders are not level, but gently tilted, as in the image you posted. My head is much higher than in an iron-x-type pose. Have you made any progress with the move?

• Roxanneeharvey1962

February 3, 2021 at 9:40 pm

No worries, thanks for getting back to me! Yeah, the torso orientation is really throwing me off. Like, in the image, it looks like there’s more space for the head to hang back and when I do it, it just seems like I’m almost there but not quite. I overtrained last week and had to give my shoulders a break and now I’m kind of wondering if this pose would be possible in true or cup grip, because I can only attempt twisted grip so many times before my shoulders are like “hey, stop it.” Lol. Here’s what it looked like when I tried today

• StrangeFox

February 4, 2021 at 3:01 am

This one is so tricky and strength intensive! It is currently my nemesis move. I’ve heard it called “matrix” and “float,” or “handspring stall.” It is definitely possible to do it in true and cup grip – I actually prefer to stay away from twisty grip when I train this move because it is tough on the joints and easy to overdo it.

Take my advice with a grain of salt because I have been training this one for over a year and I still cannot do it. 🙂 I believe you want your lower hand even lower than you think it has to go. And you’re aiming to lift your chest up towards the ceiling instead of to the side. I’ve heard the position and engagement of the lower arm described to me as being similar to a side plank.

I have the same problem you describe of turning in towards the pole when I take my feet off of the ground and I’ve had a couple of instructors tell me it is a strength/stability issue, however, if you have cup grip ayesha you are LOADS stronger than I am! LOL! Another common issue in this one is shoulder mobility so you may have better luck playing around with positioning in cup grip since it’s easier to open/lift the chest with your shoulder in that position. Good luck and keep us updated!

• Roxanneeharvey1962

February 6, 2021 at 4:59 pm

Thank you so much! I think I understand better what my body is supposed to be doing lol but I’m just not there yet. I’m gonna keep working on general deadlift training + abs and bottom arm stability. It really is so much harder to hold a split grip without facing the pole 😩

• bugsy monroe

February 6, 2021 at 6:26 pm

Cool 🙂
    I agree that cup and true grip are kinder and more productive for your body, allowing a much more active “pull” from the upper arm. My shoulders are pretty flexible – it’s my wrists that get upset by twisted grip!
    Train it “little and often”!!
    Best wishes x