StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Tooth extraction :( how long until I can pole again?

• Tooth extraction :( how long until I can pole again?

Posted by Polestargazer on August 18, 2012 at 10:31 pm

I had a tooth extracted this past Tuesday and have been told to lay off the strenuous exercise for a week but I am jonesing to get back into the studio! I’ve done some stretching after long walks but no inversions or spins at home on my pole… Anyone else been through extraction (and maybe a subsequent dental implant?) who can offer words of wisdom? Thanks ladies!!!

Aehei31 replied 4 years, 8 months ago 11 Members · 14 Replies
  • 14 Replies
  • Lyme Lyte

August 18, 2012 at 10:36 pm

Went through a major extraction of my back molar just a few months ago. It was about this time i stopped poling and took up running. I ran the very next day. Havent done the implant yet, not sure if it is worth 3 grand.

• GiedreB

August 20, 2012 at 3:31 am

My advice would be to not worry about your excerzise. Just be sure to not get a blood rush to the head, i.e. sitting or lying down after training. The pressure might make the area bleed. Make sure your head is above your body. That's what I'd tell my patients 🙂

• Jag5303

August 20, 2012 at 7:19 am

I’m a CDA( certified dental asst.). I would NOT invert until the Dr. Checks you! Basic spins and some dancy stuff should be ok… Which tooth was it? And did you say your getting an implant? If so, don’t risk messing any of that up. Implants are the best, no point jeprodizing the surgical site!! Let me know if you have any questions

• lisakristin

August 20, 2012 at 9:40 am

not to hijack your thread Polestargazer, but I never thought about this… 

Jag, would you mind my asking if the same thing would apply for a root canal? Would inverting mess up all the hard work?… I have yet to schedule my appointment, but I really should…

Thank you!!!

• Jade savage

August 20, 2012 at 9:47 am

No worries about hijacking!

I’m seeing my dr tomorrow afternoon to get the stitches removed. The tooth is/was in the back right side of my mouth. It will be a week tomorrow… And yes I’m planning to get an implant. Yikes

• Jade savage

No worries about hijacking!

I’m seeing my dr tomorrow afternoon to get the stitches removed. The tooth is/was in the back right side of my mouth. It will be a week tomorrow… And yes I’m planning to get an implant. Yikes

• Lyme Lyte

I dont thin a root canel would b affected. With an extraction, a clot needs to form and remain in the new “hole” for propber healing to occure. Mine is healing up nice, but still have an lrg indentation in my gum!

• Jag5303

August 20, 2012 at 10:14 am

With a root canal, you’re taking a live/ infected tooth and making it a non vital tooth. There is nothing being done to the bone, which is the foundation to ALL teeth.

An implant is essentially tooth replacement. The entire tooth (root and crown) is removed from the bone and an implant is placed. It can take a while( everyone’s body reacts differently to different things) for the bone to accept and implant, and for it to secure around it properly, to then add the crown and allow for full function of chewing and such.

The reason implants are SO wonderful( compared to other options like bridges, dentures, partial dentures etc.) is because implants preserve the bone. The jaw bone needs stimulation in order to keep from … Basically disappearing for good. Once you lose a tooth and don’t replace it with an implant you lose bone and jeprodize ALL the other teeth in you mouth! It’s a domino affect, slow… But it does happen.

I can talk your ear off about dentistry, and LOVE to do so! Patient dental education is my passion( like pole) and I love to help people truly understand it all. I know most people write off their dentist, and that hurts me. Lol because I KNOW the importance of oral health. Dentists are not gimmicks, line some think they are 😉

• Saphyre

August 20, 2012 at 11:24 am

Thanks for this Jag. I have always been obsessed with dental/oral health. It is linked to so many other diseases that can occur, not just in our mouths. I religiously get my teeeth cleaned/examined every 6 months. I would do it more often, but I only have medical and not dental insurance. My husband just had 2 molars removed and he is in the process of waiting for bone growth before he gets implants. Based on how he did, I would wait more than a week to invert. At least 2 and maybe even 3 weeks. I just wouldn't take a chance at compromising neccessary blood flow.

• Jag5303

August 20, 2012 at 12:10 pm

Quick note on dental ins.- think of it more as a coupon! Sadly dental ins is not where it needs to be, and I highly recommend not letting the ins dictate your care!

Mini lesson on in network dental ins- they say they will cover 100/50% of their fees. So… They decide how much a procedure should cost(?!?). Let’s say you get a filling, Dr. Says its $200, ins says it should be $100. If they say the will cover it at 50%, remember that 50% of what they think it should cost… Making it a whopping coverage of $50! Woohoo. I’m sorry… But no good medical procedure can be done right for $50!! Ya feel what I’m saying? A lot of care gets lost at those fees because the dr has no choice but to keep providing quantity over quality care. Things like good material, continuing education for all the staff in the office, sterilization, modern, up to date practices( I’m not talk about pretty decor, I’m talking about the current ways of doing certain procedures).

The most I’ve seen coverage wise, was a max of $2500 a year… And we have 32 teeth in our head! Ugh….. It makes me mad just to think about it 🙁

• TrixieLovett

August 20, 2012 at 4:56 pm

Be patient pole sister! A "Dry Socket" is a potential problem that can arise. Let that little area heal properly so it is ready for the implant. I had one placed a few years back and it seemed like FOREVER before I was back to full-function. In retrospect however, my little tooth is fabulous and I don't regret the investment of time that I made for myself and my healing. 

• kasanya

August 20, 2012 at 5:19 pm

I know you probably feel good and raring to go, but I can't emphasize strongly enough… do NOT do anything to jeopardise the initial healing phase after having a tooth removed. I ended up with a dry socket after having my wisdom teeth removed and it was a level of pain I have never experienced before (or since) in my life. If that blood clot in the socket gets dislodged somehow, you basically have bone exposed directly to open air. I have a really high pain threshold, but that deep throbbing pain rendered me completely non-functional and I ended up off work for 2 full weeks recovering.

Please listen to the responses you've been getting here. It sounds like a number of these ladies have the dental qualifications and pole experience to be giving really solid advice. I hope you have a speedy recovery!

• Sweet D

August 21, 2012 at 6:54 am

Thanks for starting this thread! I’m having a root canal done in a week and needed that info. I just fell in love with my dentist yesterday. I had an extensive cleaning done and my teeth have NEVER looked this nice. Had no idea what I was missing out on. Going to the dentist rocks!!! Lol!

• Aehei31

August 30, 2019 at 11:07 am

This post has answered a lot of my queries. Thanks a lot guys for sharing this info. Actually I also want to get one of my teeth extracted because it is broken and affects my confidence. I will get a dazzling white single tooth implant in place of it. Just decided to get both these procedures from dentist Torrance at http://newsmilesdentistry.com/.