StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Tendinitis ouch!!

• Tendinitis ouch!!

Posted by smoothduc5825 on August 12, 2017 at 12:31 am

I’ve got it and it sucks.
    I must have crept up into a tendinitis for a while as these things do not show up over night. For me though, when I started the program and did my first successful inverts, it reared it’s ugly head and now it’s in full bloom.
    Does anyone have tips on how to get rid of it? I know the basics, rest, flossing, massaging, stretching and I do all that already but it takes TIME…omg does it take TIME , in which, I cannot practice, and that sucks so bad. Just when I started seing progress
    Any input besides the obvious I stated, I appreciate. What have you done about your tendinitis that has helped you more than anything else? I’m quite anxious to get this thing over with.
    Thank you

Barbarella replied 6 years, 6 months ago 6 Members · 9 Replies
  • 9 Replies
  • Cazzzz

August 12, 2017 at 1:49 am

Yeah, it’s a bugger. Ice, ice, ice. At least 3x/ day for me; try not to overgrip the pole and try not to make it worse. And time. Lots of it.

• Autumn Sky

August 12, 2017 at 12:10 pm

Wish there was some other way around it, but reducing the inflammation and resting is best. I also have wrist braces I wear during a flare. Try working on floor work, dance moves, or flexibility during this time, that way you will still be progressing in pole. Sorry, I know how frustrating it is , hang in there!

• Veena

Administrator
    August 16, 2017 at 4:18 am

That’s always rough. Split grips and spins tend to be the biggest culprits when it comes to pole related Tendinitis. What program did you start? The Take off program shouldn’t cause this issue unless you are already having problems or work a job that requires you to type, text or heavily use the hands like massage or hair stylist. My biggest tip is always finish sessions with any suggested stretches when using programs here and It’s a good idea to focus on the forearms if you’re short on time! For now focus on stretching, chair work, floor work or do some body weight training to let the arms rest.

• smoothduc5825

October 13, 2017 at 9:38 pm

hello everyone that replied, first of all i feel loved in this community and thank you for taking time and adding your experiences for me to utilize.
    Here is my feedback, which might help others:
    1) I am new to pole and injured myself due to not using my body wisely, which comes with practice, so “oh well on that part”. I got really excited being able to invert and probably did it a few too many times, and “oh well” on that part too, excitement is never going to be something I squish because it’s awesome stuff of life bio-chemicals that make us feel pure joy. So yeah….your staying.
    2)I was able to reduce the inflammation from total lower arm numbness and weakness to just a pinpoint pain in my elbow and it has been sitting there for a while. Methods used are mostly nutrition that supports cellular health and recovery, meditation, stretching, resting, massaging as often as I can and flossing. That has really helped shrivel up the pain effected area, but…its still there after 2-3months.
    3) for now, because I am loosing strength due to resting the arm, i decided upon a injection at the docs office. I will keep you posted how that works out. The appointment is on 10/19. I feel the loosing strength part effects me worse longterm than going for the injection. I want to go back to progressing at Pole and I’m paying for lessons I can’t use right now. So there is that.
    4) stay tuned, I will let you all know how it moves on forward. Thank you again, awesome community. Veena, you are extremely likeable, which I really appreciate in a teacher. Keep going, you built something really nice for women to access any time. Luuuuuuve!

• smoothduc5825

October 13, 2017 at 9:48 pm

to veena… I should have seen your reply sooner, to answer your question:
    i only used your takeoff program and stretching is always what i do anyway, before, after, any time I think of it. Your program did not cause anything. I got so excited that I can do an invert and am having OCD tendencies anyways so I OCD’d out of excitement and got myself into this pickle practicing more than my body could handle. I did achieve a large amount of healing in the arm but it’s not gone and I cannot support my own weight on the pole now, so all invert related excercises are a nono, I have to stick to the floor for the most part. My abs are strong, my arms are noodles…and it is what it is. I’m going to get injected and will post my experiences with that. thank you for replying,

• Veena

Administrator
    October 13, 2017 at 10:14 pm

Thank you for the kind words and for keeping us posted as things heal! Like I mentioned before work on things that don’t require gripping to help you heal but still stay motivated! Sending healing vibes! xoxo

• Cazzzz

October 14, 2017 at 1:14 pm

Hang in there. It will pass. You’ll be strong again.
    One thing I noticed in my own ‘tennis elbow’ experience is that I was over wrapping my left hand and that is what gave me tennis elbow the second time. (I can’t remember what gave me tennis elbow the first time on the other elbow. It was when I very first started poling about three years ago and it was probably also enthusiasm and a mistake in grip/execution/strength.) It seemed like it took me forever to get present – for it dawn on me – what I was doing that caused it the second time.
    This too shall pass.
    The good news is that your body is a marvelous healing miracle and with all the help and care you are giving it, you will be better than ever before you know it. 🙂

• dlp5057

October 16, 2017 at 1:24 am

I’m not sure what ‘flossing’ is, but when I had tendonitis in my left elbow, I went for therapy which included ultrasound, stretching and improving range of motion. I used voltaren, a topical analgesic, ice and massaged across the muscle fibers to break up any adhesions in the area. It took time and rest and diligence in doing the excersizes on my own time, but I was successful in returning to doing moves. Hope this helps.

• Barbarella

October 17, 2017 at 9:16 am

I had severe problems with this last year, too. For me giving it time, time and more time was the best thing to do. I put away the pole for 3 months. It was quite frustrating, but I had to learn that taking a break doesn’t mean you totally quit (thanks Veena for your great video on this).

I took physiotherapy twice a week. The therapist found out I had disbalances and tensions in my torso/back/arms. In the end this overall disbalance put too much tension on my elbows tendons. So I did exercises to make my whole core more stable. Comfrey salve, infrared light and an elbow brace/dressing were helpful, too. I also realized things were getting worse when I was angry and stressed, this was causing my body to get even more tense. I noticed I was clenching my fists and arms when sleeping, again putting strain on my elbow. Maybe it will be helpful for you to check on these things, too?

As my problems were mainly caused by tension, I kept/keep warm when it’s cold outside wearing long sleeves and gloves, and I try to listen to my body when working out and stop when I feel to much strain.

Wishing you a speedy recovery!