StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Some questions about how frequently you should pole

• Some questions about how frequently you should pole

Posted by StrangeFox on June 8, 2017 at 1:55 am

So I watched Veena’s video on how often you should pole and I found it super helpful as a beginner. I tend to nail a move and then I want to do it twenty more times. 🙂 I’m trying to be smart and set up a schedule for my pole practice.

I have a couple of questions maybe the more experienced polers can answer:

1) Is it ever advisable to pole (trick training, and spins) every day? Will I ever get strong enough to do that or is it always a good idea to have a rest day between intense pole sessions?

2) Can a beginner practice spins every day? If I’m freestyling and doing floorwork daily, and I throw in some spins is that OK?

3) If you’ve got a mild intercostal strain is it OK to do floor work/spins as long as you’re careful or is total rest required? (I strained my intercostal while doing shoulder mount prep from the floor and twisting the wrong way. I have the flexibility but not the core strength (yet)… 🙁 ).

StrangeFox replied 6 years, 10 months ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • Veena

Administrator
    June 8, 2017 at 4:54 am

First, always listen to your body everyone is different, what I provide is a guideline. If you start to feel tired or always sore that means you need to rest and also make sure you’re eating well!

Just like cold flexibility takes time (as in being able to do a split without warm up) doing spins and more challenging tricks days in a row takes time. If you are consistently training (with rest) then in a few months you’ll find your body adjusts to the initial load and you can do things with less effort!

I wouldn’t do a bunch of spins if you have an intercostal strain but if you are aware, transitions and floor stuff works. You could also try learning to hula hoop or try the chair lessons!

• StrangeFox

June 10, 2017 at 12:05 am

Thanks so much, Veena!! As always your advice is super helpful. 🙂 It’s hard for me to sit still, so it has been a huge lesson in patience for me to realize I need rest days and that I’m not going to nail a move the first, or even tenth try. I am going to try chair and hoop for my days off of the pole. I’m also doing your flexibility program.

Good news: looks like what I thought was a strain was probably just a muscle cramp as it seems to have healed up overnight, but that’s still a pretty good indication that I might be doing too much too fast. I do think I need to eat better as I seem to be getting a lot of muscle cramps lately. I’m training for long distance running, too, and I have not modified my diet at all to compensate. I’m going to take a rest day or two. I’m usually stronger after. 🙂

I can be bit of a show off at times, so pole has been teaching me to be humble…mainly through scrapes and bruises…lol!