StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Quitting Pole – Injuries?

• Quitting Pole – Injuries?

Posted by sensualdevotions on August 31, 2020 at 11:44 am

How do you decide when enough is enough in terms of wear and tear on your body from pole? I started dancing again in March and my shoulder started hurting, my forearm tendinitis came back, my elbow started clicking. As a matter of fact my whole body is clicking since taking 3 weeks of rest. How do you determine whether this is something your body can take, or what sort of rest and restorative exercises do you do to maintain your joint health?

Veena replied 3 years, 7 months ago 2 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • Veena

Administrator
    August 31, 2020 at 4:44 pm

Ugh, that’s not a fun way to feel about your pole journey! I believe that pole shouldn’t mean injuries or wear and tear on your body. It should make you happy, be fun and leave you feeling stronger. If injury is something you deal with often it’s time to take a look at how you are approaching your pole sessions.

Do you follow a well rounded plan?
    Do you work on conditioning and strength off pole?
    Do you allow for rest days (rest is equally as important as training)?
    Do you follow the no more than 10 tries rule?
    Do you eat well?
    Do you get enough sleep?

All of these things can contribute to over use and feeling beat up by pole or any workout for that matter.

This is an old periscope I did about when to stop pole dancing.https://www.studioveena.com/videos/view/562961cd-cacc-4c57-9d5a-523c0a9aa0eb

Let me know if I can point you in any specific direction if you need any of the above. There are lot’s of options here.

• sensualdevotions

August 31, 2020 at 10:43 pm

Hi Veena, I absolutely love pole. I adore it. I feel like I can’t live without it. However, I have some existing issues such as functional scoliosis from a leg length discrepancy, tendinitis, and now this weird shoulder pain which went away with rest. I haven’t really done enough strengthening and conditioning off the pole – normally I swim, do yoga/stretching, walking etc. I rest every other day, if not I do light dancing, I sleep enough, I have to admit I can get lazy when it comes to keeping up with meals though. I’ve never really counted how many times I try a move, I usually just stop when tired, but I will pay attention to that now.I guess I am just concerned and fearful that all these issues could get worse and want to prevent that happening. But thanks for your advice, I will definitely be more intentional in my practice

• Veena

Administrator
    September 1, 2020 at 2:35 am

I have slight scoliosis and leg length issues too! Tendinitis needs rest and then conditioning exercises will help a ton. If you had shoulder pain that went away with rest I would do exercises off pole for those as well. You’ll find a bunch of lessons and routines for both shoulders and hands/wrists. The issues can totally get worse if you don’t have a plan on how you will approach your training.