StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Protecting ceiling from pole

• Protecting ceiling from pole

Posted by nataliefaye013881 on December 3, 2019 at 12:18 pm

I have an x-pole xpert but am renting so can’t damage the ceiling. How could I protect it without knowing where the beam is too? Would putting a wooden board up with a yoga matt attached stop damage and be safe?

monica kay replied 3 years, 4 months ago 5 Members · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • Veena

Administrator
    December 5, 2019 at 4:35 am

You have to find the beam, it can damage the ceiling if you don’t and it’s not safe. Use a stud finder or knock on the ceiling to find the beams and direction they run. If you find the beam you don’t need anything to protect the ceiling. I have rented for years and never had a problem with my xpoles damaging the ceiling.

• nataliefaye013881

December 14, 2019 at 11:02 pm

Thank you! Sorry for the late reply, is my ceiling most likely to have a joist? Being new flats (I’m not on the top floor) just worried about spending money on a joist finder for no reason. Would the lines in the plaster on the ceiling indicate one? Or the walls that come out either side of the room? Thank you!

• Veena

Administrator
    December 15, 2019 at 4:52 pm

Just knock on the ceiling it will go from hollow sounding to solid when you find the joist. 😊

• Karen DJ

December 21, 2019 at 10:13 pm

I had an interesting situation a few weeks ago from my ceiling. I’ve been using an Xpert for a few years now and always made it a point to take it down for a day or two every few months to re-lube it, and usually because it was in the living room and people were coming over. I didnt do that over the last several months and when I took it down for Thanksgiving, it revealed a hairline crack. It definitely was on a joist. I live in an area where there’s a lot of freeze/thaw and hunidity changes. Do you think there’s and reason that because I didnt take it down for awhile to let the ceiling “breathe”, that that’s why there’s cracking? Could that be a thing to keep in mind? There is a happy ending to the story. My husband was pissed and that was the only spot in the living room on a joist that it could be put up, so it prompted him to finally install my permanent mount in the basement! Home studio time!

• JessMcG

January 6, 2020 at 1:12 pm

If you haven’t had any luck yet, I would say that where the light fixture is screwed into the ceiling should be a joist, and typically they are 16 or 24 inches apart. You can use a tape measure starting where the light is to see where 16′ and 24′ would be. From there take a couple thin nails and test to see if you’re nailing into wood or drywall. If you dont mind a couple small holes 🙂 saves me from a stud finder although I’ll have to invest in one sooner or later for convenience!

• monica kay

December 1, 2020 at 3:00 am

omg that room is a perfect pole room. good luck with installing the pole! your pole room is going to be amazing